Using Reality Factory 0.76 Source Code instead of Genesis 3D

Programming Reality Factory and Genesis3D.
lekeoi

Using Reality Factory 0.76 Source Code instead of Genesis 3D

Post by lekeoi » Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:44 pm

I was wondering whether or not it was a lost cause to try to use the original Genesis3D source code to make a game with a sigleplayer campaign as opposed to simply using the Reality Factory source code instead. The reason for this being I had been messing around with the original Genesis3D code for fun and had gotten used to it but realized adding enemies, among other things, would be a problem however would much prefer not to have to learn the Reality Factory source code when I could stick to Genesis3D.

Allanon

Re: Using Reality Factory 0.76 Source Code instead of Genesi

Post by Allanon » Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:29 am

lekeoi wrote:I was wondering whether or not it was a lost cause to try to use the original Genesis3D source code to make a game with a sigleplayer campaign as opposed to simply using the Reality Factory source code instead. The reason for this being I had been messing around with the original Genesis3D code for fun and had gotten used to it but realized adding enemies, among other things, would be a problem however would much prefer not to have to learn the Reality Factory source code when I could stick to Genesis3D.
Genesis3d provides functions for rendering, actors, worlds creation, etc. The programmer has to write the actual game code and GUIs. Reality Factory has the game and GUI code already written and the user just writes scripts and uses entities within the level editor to make a game. If I was going to write a game from scratch I would not use Genesis3d, there are a lot better, up to date, free game engines to choose from. If I want to make a very simple game that doesn't need modern graphics then I would go with Reality Factory.

lekeoi

Post by lekeoi » Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:10 pm

Allanon wrote:
lekeoi wrote:I was wondering whether or not it was a lost cause to try to use the original Genesis3D source code to make a game with a sigleplayer campaign as opposed to simply using the Reality Factory source code instead. The reason for this being I had been messing around with the original Genesis3D code for fun and had gotten used to it but realized adding enemies, among other things, would be a problem however would much prefer not to have to learn the Reality Factory source code when I could stick to Genesis3D.
Genesis3d provides functions for rendering, actors, worlds creation, etc. The programmer has to write the actual game code and GUIs. Reality Factory has the game and GUI code already written and the user just writes scripts and uses entities within the level editor to make a game. If I was going to write a game from scratch I would not use Genesis3d, there are a lot better, up to date, free game engines to choose from. If I want to make a very simple game that doesn't need modern graphics then I would go with Reality Factory.
Thanks, I forgot to mention I was using the version that came packed with GTest released some time ago. However I have my answer and will start development with Reality factory.
"Life is like a box of ammo." You always know what your going to get.

lekeoi

Post by lekeoi » Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:12 pm

I would also like to mention the compile is failing, I am apparently missing some header files that didn't come packaged with the source. Were there libraries I was supposed to download also?
"Life is like a box of ammo." You always know what your going to get.

lekeoi

Post by lekeoi » Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:15 pm

lekeoi wrote:I would also like to mention the compile is failing, I am apparently missing some header files that didn't come packaged with the source. Were there libraries I was supposed to download also?
Never mind I found what I need.