Need help With programing and scripting

Programming Reality Factory and Genesis3D.
Kamazy

Need help With programing and scripting

Post by Kamazy » Wed Jul 20, 2005 3:36 pm

I don't know anything about programing and was wondering is anyone knows any tutorials to help me make a good quality game.

AndyCR

Post by AndyCR » Wed Jul 20, 2005 4:27 pm

well, for starters, what language would you be interested in? if you dont have any particular one in mind, what difficulty level would you be looking at?

Spyrewolf

Post by Spyrewolf » Thu Jul 21, 2005 4:12 am

I don't know anything about programing and was wondering is anyone knows any tutorials to help me make a good quality game.
Welcome to RF, you don't need to have any programming knowledge what so ever, however RF does have a c style scripting language which is need to create A.I and machinma style animation/scripted events.

it is pretty easy to pick up the docs are pretty complete and give you good instructions on how to assemble a working script,

also on the DOC's section of the website there is a few scripts on there to study as well.

But don't worry you can create a complete game with out scripting, but it would not be as advanced if you did.

Basically if you have created maps in HL/Quake based engines you should be right at home

Kamazy

Post by Kamazy » Thu Jul 21, 2005 2:15 pm

I did make some nice levels for Counter-Strike but nothing hard mostly dethmatch style, but i guess what i am wondering is if i will be able to make custom gameplay suck as a mix between RTS and FPS. i will checkout the docs download. I want to make a game that will get my foot in the door of game making. i know there are thousends of peaple like me but i gat great ideas.

Spyrewolf

Post by Spyrewolf » Fri Jul 22, 2005 5:12 am

i am wondering is if i will be able to make custom gameplay suck as a mix between RTS and FPS
Im guessing you mean like Rainbow six type of game, Yes you can, but to do this, you will need to have a good understanding of scripting,.......oh and you can make i as sucky as you like but you probally wanna make it fun ( :P just kidding about your typo )

look for tute's on scripted players, there is a demo on the download page, sacrid druid made by pickles, that has a script for a scripted player in it, this should help put you in the right direction,

what is a scripted player you may ask? basically it is a pawn that the player controls instead of the default player, the default player is hidden off in some far away location not to be used, the main advantages of using scripted players is that you can have a multitude of different animations/ attacks and have multiple characters running around that you can switch back and forth between like rainbow 6.

there is basically no limit to what type of game you can now make with RF thanks to the scripted player commands.

Kamazy

Post by Kamazy » Fri Jul 22, 2005 4:54 pm

Well i was thinking more along the lines of "C&C RENEGADE" But with a player Building and the others fighting.

Master

Post by Master » Fri Jul 22, 2005 5:56 pm

I assume you mean like Renegade except with more RTS elements. The FPS part should be fairly easy, but RTS style gameplay might get complicated seeing as how RF has no in game mouse support (that I know of).