new to RF

Discuss any other topics here
hallsofvallhalla

new to RF

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

Hey guys, I have used so many game engines its not funny, some i made games with others not worthy of a game. I have spent alot of time and money going from engine to engine searching for a good one and I came apon this one. Figured I would give it a try. I have a current project, story located here http://thegamesguild.com/forgotten_sanctum1.html and i am eother turning it into a non-linear FPS or a futuristic diablo style game. So as users of RF are yall satisfied, did it have the capabilities to do what you want with your game? I am looking for game play over graphics.

Also I have been working with FPS's for a while and I noticed there are no forums based just on FPS makers alone, so I have started some, just 2 days ago to be exact, still under construction but forums are up, If forum posting is not allowed please delete my link, sorry.
http://www.getphpbb.com/phpbb/index.php?mforum=fpsmaker
Last edited by hallsofvallhalla on Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SithMaster

Post by SithMaster »

I am.
The brightest light casts the darkest shadow.
Burn the heretic. Kill the mutant. Purge the unclean.
psYco

Post by psYco »

well if your not in it for the GFX well then RF is the BEST! (well its easy to use and nice and sturdy) plus RF2 is on the way witch will have the great game play + desigh and dev workflow BUT will have great graphics so yeah, RF is up and coming and the current version well ill easilly recomend it! :)
hallsofvallhalla

so will RF2 be for free?
Kamazy

Post by Kamazy »

Yeah RF(2) is made to be 100% free. :)
scott

Post by scott »

welcome to the forums, yes RF2 is free (if we dont use a network library we have to pay for ;)) but its severl years away from completion, infact its only just begun and not to dampen anyones spirits here butthe project could fall through, why dont you go over to the RF2 section of the forum and read up on it your self.
*GD*
QuestOfDreams
Site Admin

Post by QuestOfDreams »

Welcome to RF, hope you'll have fun with our toolkit :D
hallsofvallhalla

k thanx, well i will use RF1 until then. look forward to getting some work done and posting screen shots. It originally started out as a mmorpg but then I realized how much I hate mmorpgs!
psYco

Post by psYco »

This is just an observation but is it just me or is EVERYONE trying to make an MMO?? (there is nothing wrong with a good MMORPG) but they are soooooooo hard to make! (well lots of logistical things) so i wonder then why does everyone think they can make one?
hallsofvallhalla

its the idea behind it, making a game where all our friends can play and you can charge people like $2 a month and still make thousands. I was wanted to becouse I was started on a team that made a MMORPG, it was fun but once it was done the owner kinda screwed all us devs, so I decided to make my own, but it got old quick and I really do hat mmorpgs...so boring, I love FPS's and thats my real passion.
Spyrewolf

Post by Spyrewolf »

Welcome to RF!

firstly RF is a great toolset! and is perfect for many types of games,

RF is great because it is free and competes with many engines which charge, for basic usage, so if RF is not your thing you won't lose any money.

RF includes normal mapping and bumpmapping which means it can create visuals comparable to doom3 and chronicles of riddick, + many other visual tid bits to pretty up your scene's

we have a physics system(ODE) in the works as well but has basic gravity and water type effects in placeat the moment.

also the scripting language is super-powerfull opening up endless possiblities.

the other thing is it is totally royalty free as long as you display the genesis logo and include the source code with your games

meaning you can create a game and sell it Woohoo!

the other great thing is you could set up a very basic game in two minutes tops compile run/test very quickly,

hopefully this will convince you stick around. and give it ago. :)
hallsofvallhalla

oh yes definitly, thanx...I have went through, darkbasic, blitz, realmcrafter, torque and others, I have a feeling this will be my final engine for a while.
Juutis

Post by Juutis »

So as users of RF are yall satisfied, did it have the capabilities to do what you want with your game?
Absolutely!
I am looking for game play over graphics.
Yes, exactly!! That's what Reality Factory is all about, in my opinion. It can't offer great graphical quality but instead awesome gameplay!

Welcome to the forums! :D
...and have fun with RF!
Pain is only psychological.
hallsofvallhalla

So far with what I have completed I am impressed with the graphics, yeah they may not be top o the line, but I have no interest in spending loads of time trying to make the graphics superb whilst I allow my game play to slack, if I wanted that I would go buy a retail game. hehehehe
GD1

Post by GD1 »

I like RF. Graphics are excellent for a completely free, no-strings-attached engine. And you can make them look at least GameCube generation if you know what you are doing. The only things that bug me are that the scripting can be kinda glitchy, but as long as you don't push it too far it seems to be OK.

RF is an excellent system with a lot of features. And no, it isn't the greatest, no it doesn't cut it when competing with modern games. What it does do is make a fun game quickly and easily with no cost to you (except time), and that is much better than what 99% of other engines are offering right now.
Check out my band
Tougher Than Fort Knox