pen and ink style

Post topics regarding Level Building/Design and Entity Usage with Reality Factory
Tabulanis

pen and ink style

Post by Tabulanis »

Man I cant belive this slipped by me for so long but no matter now I have cell shaded pen and ink style (in theory) worked out.

I have tested it in many 3d apps but haven't tried it in RF but its is realy simple.

It involes two simple models.

Model 1 is the base modle for your character.
modle two is the black line drawing modle.

Modle 1 is slightly smaller than modle 2 (All verts need to be inside modle2)

Make modle 1 fullbright. Make modle 2 colored jetblack. Then place modle2 right on top of modle one and flip the normals.

You'll get this

Simple modle so the linse are very corse but it can handle any complexity if RF can handle it.
psYco

Post by psYco »

OH! Thats why tabulanis is a legend around here! :)

NICE man! That modle is beautiful and although ive heard of this effect before this is a very much more 'refineded' version.
Tabulanis

Post by Tabulanis »

I got it to SKETCH! Some carfull textures placed and it looks ike this!

I have no idea what to do with it yet but Here it is. So odd the you can do this.

QuestOfDreams
Site Admin

Post by QuestOfDreams »

The techniques you're describing have been used before in Operation Spyrewolf ("cell shading") and Pencil Whipped (texture style) :)
Tabulanis

Post by Tabulanis »

Sorry for the double post there my internet is acting lame. China is cencoring things again and it slows everything down and scruz it up.

Any way one more shot becuase I can't help myself. The last ine was done in like 5 min this one I got correct shadows and lighting in the sketch. I think I'[ll have to do a demo of this as a handdrawn level with a little sketched out virgil. Cant do realting sketch shadows yet but I just came up with this so gimmee some time. Anyway this one took alittle longer to make but it should work fine. The only issue is RF acting funky about showing things THROUGH other things. Bur I think I can make a stable demo. Think...

Arg I have no freakin time!

Anyway notice the shadows of this posts. All shdows cast sketched shadow paterns not just dark but drawn looking drawn.

Id do a better one but these ones with the shadows take time in painting textures.
MakerOfGames

Post by MakerOfGames »

WOW! That looks awesome! Very nice work!
Think outside the box.
To go on an adventure, one must discard the comforts and safety of the known and trusted.