DIRECTX10!!!

Discuss any other topics here
BLACK_PHOENIX

DIRECTX10!!!

Post by BLACK_PHOENIX »

soon ill be getting my second SUPER COMPUTER but this time ill have DX10

ive ordered my comp with all the parts i want and ill be getting it in about 30 days. yay!!! here are my specs

asus VENTO case
CORE 2 DUO EXTREME 6800
ASUS P5W DH DELUXE MOBO(edit:)the new bfg nforce mobo
2GB CORSAIR DDR2 667
NVIDIA 8800GTX :D
THERMALTAKE 850W PSU
IVE ALSO GOT VISTA ON HOLD SO WHEN IT COMES OUT I CAN USE DX10

IVE GOT SOME SMALL EXTRA THINGS LIKE NETWORK CARDS, DVD DRIVES,TV TUNER, AND A LITTLE POWER GENERATOR AND SURGE PROTECTOR. JUST INCASE THE 850WATTS IS TOO MUCH FOR MY OLD SURGE PROTECTOR. (sorry about capital i didnt realize)

this cost me a fortune but i think this will last for a few years.and with some future upgrades(maybe another 8800gtx for sli and a blu-ray drive or my favourite, PS3. it hasent come out in australia yet )
ive got a wonderful setup in my "computer room". i got 2 average pcs running under a network with my current pc and soon this monster gaming machine.

anyway enough showing off. i was meant to say that ill be running DX10.
so i think ill start doing my third project in direct x 10. im not sure what engine ill use as theres still no free DX!) engines out there but i think its going to be big.
Last edited by BLACK_PHOENIX on Tue Jan 02, 2007 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jonas

Post by jonas »

Wow! I know that cost a lot. :shock: You can play some mega games. And for sure develop mega games.
Jonas

Focused, hard work is the real key to success. Keep your eyes on the goal, and just keep taking the next step towards completing it. If you aren't sure which way to do something, do it both ways and see which works better. - John Carmack
GD1

Post by GD1 »

Sweet! I've been thinking about upgrading to a GeForce 7800, but having to buy a power supply too is holding me back. The price of the 8800 is just insane right now, but hopefully the price will go down soon.

Honestly, DX10 is great and all, but I don't think it will take long for OpenGL to catch up, so I think we'll be seeing a major improvement in the GL engines pretty soon after Vista comes out.
Check out my band
Tougher Than Fort Knox
psYco

Post by psYco »

Well the price should go down but anyway there are not DX10 games out ATM anyway, so its a bit over kill for the moment...
BLACK_PHOENIX

Post by BLACK_PHOENIX »

i live in australia so it cost me $819AU(500-600US) for the card alone. better than the retail price of $999

all the parts were cheaper than the retail because i bought the system in one package. but i did pay a bit extra for the extra warranty(4 years) and for them to test the machine to see if it works fine.they said it would run better if i had the new BFG mobo so i had to spend a bit more on that. so there is no problems. except for vista. i will have to get the ultimate version(complete full version) and that will cost about $1000AU. and i will have to wait about 2-3 months for the australian release. and thats a problem becuase ive got $1000 saved for ps3. well at least ill have something to last. :D
bernie
RF Moderator

Post by bernie »

Before jumping in and spending lodsa money on vista read this

http://www.techworld.com/opsys/news/ind ... e=samechan
psYco

Post by psYco »

well i run vista and its free cause i use the beta (free from the microsoft site) and i think its fine so ill just run it forever... :)
jonas

Post by jonas »

Gone so overly crazy trying to make it secure that you can't even do anything with the machine. Sounds pretty stupid I think I'll stay with xp.
Jonas

Focused, hard work is the real key to success. Keep your eyes on the goal, and just keep taking the next step towards completing it. If you aren't sure which way to do something, do it both ways and see which works better. - John Carmack
scott

Post by scott »

well no matter what there will always be hackers or microsoft just pur a few big companies out of business (norton, McAfee to name just 2) so if theres always going to be hackers, viruses, trojans and what not ou should always keep a bakc up of your work, so that means no matter what operating system you keep a back up, so i have been thinking about running a second OS system on my desktop, something like win 98, it gives you so much more freedom and frees up cpu power, xp seems to be 98 but security mad, over the several years i have used xp i have found nothing i couldnt do in 98 the only reason i am keeping xp is because of compatability issues wich really sucks.
*GD*
BLACK_PHOENIX

Post by BLACK_PHOENIX »

im not a big fan of microsoft and i dont really think that they have made the "ultimate"OS. I use Linux on most of my computers and i probably might even run the new fedora core 6 when the bugs get fixed. vista was just an option.
jonas

Post by jonas »

Linux rocks!! Security is way better then microsoft, Open source, totally customizable. Plus if you build a linux application it will work on almost any linux flavor. And what's even better is free.
Jonas

steven8

Post by steven8 »

Try Ubuntu. It is an incredible OS and comes on a liveCD with an instal loption on the desktop. I'm running it on a separate HDD right now, but it will be my only OS on my new comp when I get it running next week! Actually, I use Kubuntu, because I like KDE.
Steve Dilworth - Resisting change since 1965!
BLACK_PHOENIX

Post by BLACK_PHOENIX »

yes ubuntu is not that bad. ive tried many different ones but i find fedora and suse to be my favourite ones.
BLACK_PHOENIX

Post by BLACK_PHOENIX »

yes ubuntu is not that bad. ive tried many different ones but i find fedora and suse to be my favourite ones.

EDIT: OMG i cant believe it. they said they are unable to get me the computer and that theyve cancelled the order due to some problems with the hardware. instead ill be getting an alienware area51 7500. its a bit more expensive but its got 2 8800GTX cards in sli with core 2 E6800 extreme!!!
luckily i havent actually paid for the system so im lucky that they can test it out first and then i can buy it. well at least i get an awsome alienware case.

:D :D :D :D :D :D