(Request) starting a 3rd person action game

Post topics regarding Level Building/Design and Entity Usage with Reality Factory
mussashimits

(Request) starting a 3rd person action game

Post by mussashimits »

Hello everyone,

I'm sorry if I'm in the wrong place for this, but I'm new here so try to bear with me. I was hoping to create a third person fantasy action-adventure game, but I could use some help getting started. I've never used this program before and the tutorials didn't help that much. I've come to realize that sometimes just getting right into the game design helps me learn quicker. I'm looking for a basic template that I can later make my own. Here's basically the qualities I'm looking for.

Camera: 3rd person, just like in the RF demo
Basic Controls: just like in RF demo for movement. No jump or strafe necessary
- upon pressing X: stop player's movement, play anim KICK
- when animation kick is over, restore player control
Enemies: They run at you when you get within a proximity of them. Or, when they see you.
- while animation kick is playing and enemy collides with you, play animation ENEMY DIE
- when enemy comes within a certain proximity of the player, enemy's anim changes to THROW
- when THROW plays, player's anim changes to THROWN.
- When Throw begins, play sound AH1.
-repeat Throw anim. each time Throw anim repeats, subtract 3 points from Player's life. While THROW is playing, camera becomes cotrolled by the mouse, and you can rotate it freely around the player while maintaining same distance.

- repeat anim THROW until player button mashes enough (as seen in commercial wrestling games) , then...
- change player anim to ONFLOOR and change position to X relative to enemie's position and direction. Enemy stops moving until GETUP anim finishes.
- after 2 seconds, change Player anim to GETUP.
- after GETUP anim, enemy continues to pursue player.
Health- we'd just like to have a health bar, again, like seen in most games. Getting things as close to commercial games as possible is a plus
If we could have instructions (or a tutorial) on how to import our own art and edit certain factors that would be great. Things we'd need to edit are:
-models
-animations
-sounds
-speed of player and enemies
-positions (as mentioned above with certain events)
Also, the enemy can have a PUNCH aim that he plays when he gets in close proximity to the character,
but he doesn't have to have one. If he does, it can be much like that seen in the Dojo example

Anything you could do to help would be fantastic.

Thanks for your time.
"There's two kinds of people in the world Doc, those who have a plan prepared for when the zombies take over the Earth, and those who don't. We call those last people 'dinner.''
Juutis

Post by Juutis »

Well, yeah. That can be done. I think it requires some scripting, though. RF is mainly designed for first and third person shooters, but with a little scripting you can make any game type.

All this 'basic stuff' like importing models and animations is in the RF manual. It's located in the 'docs' folder of your RF main folder. There's also an ebook about RF, there's some pretty good info there too. It's called 'Making 3D Games with Reality Factory' and can be downloaded here.
Pain is only psychological.
mussashimits

Post by mussashimits »

Thanks for the reply. Now I'm sure I can figure out the importing of anims and models, but it's the scripting that I've always struggled with. So I am hoping that either someone would make this script (by modifying an existing script or making their own), or point me to a game that's similar to what I described, and hopefully I could tweak it to my liking. Again this isn't something I'm going to release publicly when I'm done (unless someone wants me to). Thanks
"There's two kinds of people in the world Doc, those who have a plan prepared for when the zombies take over the Earth, and those who don't. We call those last people 'dinner.''