Eternal Kingdom ~ Black Phoenix Game Thread

Game Design, Story, Game Play.
BLACK_PHOENIX

Eternal Kingdom ~ Black Phoenix Game Thread

Post by BLACK_PHOENIX »

this is kind of continued from help on story.

here it is: ETERNAL KINGDOM ( the multi-genre manga RPG game )

ive FINALLY finished the story and nearly ALL the artwork, level plans and design docs. theres alot of changes but i kept some gameplay components. it still needs tweaking but its basically ready for the "making" process.

Ive got Torque(indie) 1.4 but i dont now how to install it and begin making my game. its very different to rf. theres quite a large amount of visual c++ files and it has instructions on how to compile and install but i dont get it.

ive used torque to do small demos but it was already compiled and ready.

every tutorial i find is unhelpful and is completely irelevant to installing it.

i know that a few people here know how to use it.

any ideas?
paradoxnj
RF2 Dev Team

Post by paradoxnj »

RF != Torque. You should post this question in the Torque support forums. They are very helpful and will answer you failrly quickly. There are also a ton of tutorials for paying customers. These include the "where do I begin" tutorials.

I have been using Torque for about 2 years now. I highly suggest you start learning the scripting language. You can write a very complex game using only TorqueScript. Don't get into the C++ stuff until you have mastered TorqueScript.

BTW...1.5 has been out for quite some time now, I'm wondering how you got 1.4 since it's no longer on sale and hasn't been for at least 4 months.
BLACK_PHOENIX

Post by BLACK_PHOENIX »

FINALLY :D :D

its up and running. ive started the menu gui and working on the intro cinematic. im getting some awsome results but it will take a while to get everything finished and ready for the first beta release.

of course it will be free unless i get a commercial torque licsence.

i dont want to reveal anything, but i think that theres abot 50-60 hours of gameplay. there is no difficulty chooser but i do have the "bonus" room
wich will be incredibly hard. im working very hard on the animations like when you use your dark powers and its slowly coming together.

i wont show any screens as its not exatly screenshot quality yet but i think you guys will be surprized when you see it.
BLACK_PHOENIX

Post by BLACK_PHOENIX »

After a few weeks of work, the game is really looking good. I bought the TGE 1.5 SDK as the 1.4 was not really mine.

the animations are almost perfect. so far ive got 3 types of monsters ready and a few NPC's.

the scripting isnt that hard and its easy to understand so i think ill have this game done before i thought i would. the first couple of levels are finished so i can begin working on puting cutscenes and story related items in.

probably the best thing so far is the gui. ill be doing a small video showing the main gui so that might give you guys a small preview of what the game looks like.
Juutis

Post by Juutis »

It's great to hear you're doing progress so fast!

But, no offence, why do you post these things in the RF forums? :)
Doesn't Torque have its own forums?
Pain is only psychological.
LtForce

Post by LtForce »

I've been to Torque's forums and they aren't half so friendly as this community, btw there are thousands of idiots saying something like: "you textures look like sh*t, I would never put them into my game"
Lithuanians for Georgia!
Juutis

Post by Juutis »

Allright. Well, I guess then it makes sense.

I don't see the reason why people even bother to post something like that. Don't they have anything better to do than putting someone down... :?
BLACK_PHOENIX

Post by BLACK_PHOENIX »

UPDATE

intro movie rendered
gui completed
8 creatures modeled,texured,animated
finished animating new ability
scripts ready for npc lipsynching and sound
main theme song composed
upgraded physics sytem for better collision effects

well ive done alot of work using all the spare time i have and im progressing really fast.

i quickly made a test arena level to see how the combat works. there is 5 of the same creatures all attacking you in a random pattern. you are able to fly up or jump really high and then launch a massive knock to the ground using your whole body, or, you can take out your super sci-fi manga style sword and swing it around like crazy. whats best is how the creatures die. ive scrpited a small little "system" that can play over 7 different death animations that are defined by what attck you use to kill the creature. they are all pretty similar and look very impressive. when killed through a normal hit they kind of disingrate into a very vibrant yellow color.similar to when loose sand is thrown into the air and quickly falls to the ground.
BLACK_PHOENIX

Post by BLACK_PHOENIX »

i rather discuss and present my game here even if im not using RF for this project. besides i dont even know anyone in those forums and all the people there think they are masters of game development.

btw. there mighte be a rapid increase in members as a lot of people are coming to me when i make my game and ask me how they can make there own games. the first thing i said was REALITY FACTORY(.info). most people want to learn and i thought that RF was the best tool and community to use and get help from.
Juutis

Post by Juutis »

Wow!! You really are progressing at an amazing speed! :shock:

Yeah, I think RF is the best tool for learning 3D game developement too. So good thing you've told people about it. :)
I've tried to make people aware of RF too, mainly finnish people. I've always told them to use the forums, these forums are one of the best parts of RF. There are actually lots of RF users who haven't registered here, but I hope they realize just how helpful these can be.
LtForce

Post by LtForce »

BLACK_PHOENIX wrote:and all the people there think they are masters of game development.
Yeah! Every big community has this problem - there are normal and then, there are thousand of "development masters" who think they are best at everything and if you even try to say something to them you get a ban
Lithuanians for Georgia!
BLACK_PHOENIX

Post by BLACK_PHOENIX »

UPDATE:

1 upgraded player hud/inventory
2 added ability upgrade system
3 added gamepad/joystic support
4 finished player particle effects.

1. ive made a more advanced hud showing basic status and a very basic mini-map wich is only scrpited for the first level.

2. this is so far the biggest update. when killing a creature you gain experience or dark energy to upgrade your energy gauge and learn new dark abilities or upgrade dark abilities. when saving an npcs life from a creature or when completing a side quest or helping a npc you gain light energy and gives the same effect from dark powers.

3. this was a big thing i pointed out a few posts ago. i wanted to feel as if im playing a console game using a controller. there is a very customisable gui thing allowing you to assign an action to a button or joystic axis. and whats best is that its compatible with all pc gamepads and the XBOX 360 controller.

4. when the player turns "dark" dark smoke emits all around him almost like an aura surrounding him. when you enter a liquid like water the smoke colors the water and looks like blood in an ocean exept black.
Devoto

Post by Devoto »

Sounds awsome^^
Can't wait to try a demo or see some kind of screenshot :wink:

Best of luck to you :)
Graviora manent...
BLACK_PHOENIX

Post by BLACK_PHOENIX »

yes, iwill be releasing i small demo soon, maybe 2-3 weeks.

im not using torque anymore. it just didnt stand up to all the effects that this game requires and took way to long to load up maps.

ive switched to a much more powerful engine that i am configuring myself.
hopefully my game engine will be ready for the sequel.

the game has changed incredibly due to the engine swap. ive done alot of work on the combat and physics.

so far the game content is at 40% and the engine is at 20% so i still have some work to do.
BLACK_PHOENIX

Post by BLACK_PHOENIX »

after some work with my team ive come up with a whole new game idea for this project.

im changing almost the whole style of the game and the whole story.

its still action rpg and still has many of the things in the old game but this time were making everything bigger.

the creatures will be huge, the landscapes will be massive and the gameplay, hopefully will be a lot better.

im changing the upgrade system from a normal rpg and making it less boring and more releastic. there are no levels for your character.

there are 60 creatures and each one is unique and has there own special ability. every creature has a different way of killing it.

the main story is when multiple portals open up around the land. out of these portals come out the massive creatures. the creatures destroy everything. your mission is to close the portals.and the only way to do it is to kill all the creatures. when a creature is killed you use a special weapon to finish it off and send it back to the dark world it came from. while doing this you absorb its powers and gain an ability and strength.

this is just a first concept and my team have only started designing the creatures and landscapes so we wont have a preview until may.