Outdoors level?

Post topics regarding Level Building/Design and Entity Usage with Reality Factory
Devalos

Outdoors level?

Post by Devalos »

Hi all,
I was wondering, since i just started this adventure.. is it possible to create a outdoor level?

Thanks in advance,
Marco
zany_001

Post by zany_001 »

Yes.You create a huge box with no more than 4000 pixels for each dimension(the engine wont let you)and set the top and side faces as skybox, and texture them with a sky texture.if the level is too small, then scale all your characters to something like 0.1.
hope this helps.
Once I was sad, and I stopped being sad and was awesome instead.
True story.
Devalos

Post by Devalos »

Thanks a bunch Zany, i will try that :)
zany_001

Post by zany_001 »

:oops: Aw, shucks, it was nothing :oops:
if you need a more detailed explanation,then just say
True story.
Devalos

Post by Devalos »

It worked very well :) now i just need to try and work it around so the sky doesnt look like a cube.
But its a very good start.

once again, thanks ;)
scott

Post by scott »

you can have it bigger than 4000 texles, the way round it is to have severl flat planes next to each other that are solid and make the walls out of solid planes, so instead of having a cube already made, you create the cube yourself with solid cubes, when making an out door level i would put a far clip plane in, i cant remember how to do that, this will be the view distance

anyway hope that helps amd makes sense

and welcome to the forums.
*GD*
Devalos

Post by Devalos »

Thanks Scott, i will give it a go, as soon as I get home from work :)
psYco

Post by psYco »

Welcome to the forums, :D

I would just like to say that the "skybox" is not the best way of creating a sky, and is quite buggy and also like you say makes your sky look like a cube, the best way to get a good sky is to use the skydome entity, you then can change all things about the sky with scripting and also you can have dynamic day and night cycles (or not if you dont want them) you can find more about sky domes in the docs the manual and by searching for it in the forum, ive used them a few times before and they work really well, and look a sight better than the skybox. :)
Devalos

Post by Devalos »

Thanks psYco, I see what you mean :) its was cool to get the sky effect to keep motivation up lol.
But the day/cycles seem to be a cool element. its going to be a busy weekend :)

Cheers, and have a good weekend guys :)
M
darksmaster923

Post by darksmaster923 »

remember, if you scale the player to 0.1 you have to scale down your buildings and textures
Herp derp.
Veleran

Post by Veleran »

I dont use scale other than 1,and use large hollow boxes of sizes 12000-12000 for skyboxes without problem.
The larger skybox i have used is 18000-20000.
Just scale up the box the editor using the scale tool.A skybox with one side lenght of 20000 is only 508 meters-not a very large area for an outdoor,but enough space.
psYco

Post by psYco »

Well technically, the size of things in RF editor (or any level editor actually) has no hard connection to real life sizes, cause if you modle the player small, model buildings small, then that same size will appear larger, the same way that modeling stuff big makes the area appear smaller... its all just about the balance.
Spyrewolf

Post by Spyrewolf »

I dont use scale other than 1
I found this out the hard way, if you have your level bigger than 4096 - and textures tiling to 0.1 the editors will start to crash and become buggy, i think this is the max size (using scale per map), however theres nothings saying you cant have multiple maps, and you can have bigger maps if the scale of textures is bigger, RF itself runs fine with these settings just the editors have a hard time coping.

also sliding and climbing get buggy on slopes as well, as well as a noticable camera glitch,

in RF you can make some absouletly massive maps, but they're increasingly hard to fill i'll have a go at compiling a huge terrain. to show off what is capable.
zany_001

Post by zany_001 »

Thats why i said 4000 pixels cos its faster to type, and the editor only lets you put 4000 if you use a box and not several brushes.its only 96 pixls off 4096 ,so not too much difference.And its faster than creating several brushes.
True story.
scott

Post by scott »

we understood what you ment, its just the question was can you create outdoor worlds, this can be acomplished in other ways other than using a single box, for new people you give the impresion the biggest environment was 4000 texles, when you are partualy correct, its the biggest easy way to make a level.
*GD*