Blender and Reality Factory

Topics relating to Modeling with Reality Factory.
silentpolygon

Blender and Reality Factory

Post by silentpolygon »

Hi everyone

I took some time now reading posts about the modeling workflow and I am a bit surprised about RFs compatibility to blender because when you take a look on other OpenSource engines like OGRE or IrrLicht, they support blender very well. I work with blender and was trying to find a way to make the whole 3D content with this app. So staticMeshes are possible but no animated models... Maybe it is possible to export the finished blender work into another application and the export it to RF...

I also searched working exporters for blender but couldn't find them.

I think RF is a good thing especially when you are no programmer.
darksmaster923

Post by darksmaster923 »

get milkshape($25)
Herp derp.
silentpolygon

Post by silentpolygon »

think opensource 0$
darksmaster923

Post by darksmaster923 »

truegene
Herp derp.
Juutis

Post by Juutis »

Welcome to the forums! :D

First of all, I recommend getting MilkShape. It's the easiest tool to get your own models into RF. That's only my opinion, though, and other people may disagree. But the choice is yours, 25€ (or $25) is a low price for such a great program.

Then there's Gmax, a free 3D modeler which (I believe) can be used with RF. I took a quick look at the import/export formats and it seems that it's possible to get your work from Blender to Gmax. I haven't tested that though.
Pain is only psychological.
Voltare

Post by Voltare »

Blender's compatibility with Rf:

Why It'll Never Happen

By Voltare A.K.A Wrapscallion ........

FIX THAT ANTIQUATED INTERFACE.

Give those of us who would like to use it a better , more clearly defined save system.......

You have enough space at the bottom of the screen to improve the look of all those buttons that clutter up the center of it........

Make it easier to find all those amazing functions Blender has: for instance it's a 4 step drill down process just to get the decimate button to show.

Give non-technical instructions on how to move a vertex around.( read the milkshape manual, to understand how to word something , reading a blender help or tute is like me trying to read ancient akkadian.)

Blender, while a great modeling tool, and possibly the best freeware modeler, maybe the best under 400$,will never shake milkshape from the top of the indie 3d gamemakers list.
until that interface is fixed.

Wings3d could pose a threat to milkshape, as soon as they get their animation stuff done.Because it's interface is easy to understand, and find things in.

But getting blender people to understand this....is extremely hard.I'm not knocking Blender- as I said, it's possibly the greatest tool out there-- but it won't be accepted by game engine makers, just because it's too clunky to use for most people.

But, it can be used as a game production tool----just ask hike1.

More would use it as such, though, if it was easier to use and understand.And more game engine makers would then have to include support for the .blend format.
bernie
RF Moderator

Post by bernie »

@voltare.. My thoughts entirely. I can't work with Blender at all because of the interface. Milkshape is much much easier to use. I don't know about 3dmax, its just out of my income bracket (it costs more than a month's pension). So until Blender changes that ugly, difficult interface I'll stick with Milkshape.
scott

Post by scott »

spot on, i downloaded blender twice because it has been recomended but every time i have tried i cant seem to even make a cube quickly, unlike milkshape, so i think to my self, this looks complicated, i know milkshape why learn it, how much better can a 3d modeling programe be?
*GD*
Voltare

Post by Voltare »

But, for those who wish to learn or use blender to make models for Rf or other .map format engines, such as quake etc. go here for some tutes :http://www.katsbits.com/htm/tutorials.htm

or ask hike1 how they do it.......
gamemakerg

Post by gamemakerg »

I am trying to make export scripts for blender. If you give me a day or so I might be alble to do it. It would help alot though if someone could get a code for the .3dt format.
Voltare

Post by Voltare »

that would be nice.......we actually need exporters for our .bdy and .mot formats, since we use proprietary world editors to make .3dt's with....

now, the .bdy is similar in function tyo doom 3's md5mesh file, and our .mot is not at all the same as lightwave's .mot, it's similar in function to doom 3's md5anim file.

go here : http://www.genesis3d.com download the source, and look through the body.h file( the gebody ) and the motion.c file( the gemotion).

the .act file itself is basically a pak file.....
gamemakerg

Post by gamemakerg »

I can't get the 3dt script to work but if you come across the scripts in a text format i will try. I couldn't find what you said on the gen3d website could you send it to me? And if you download the new version of blender it can export to .map wich RF can suport. (note:open .map in a already open project.)
zany_001

Post by zany_001 »

unfortunately i am pretty sure that .map doesnt actually work with rf yet.
Once I was sad, and I stopped being sad and was awesome instead.
True story.
Voltare

Post by Voltare »

it does....RFeditpro can open quake 1 and 2 .maps....you'll have to delete all lighjts, and other entities except the camera and the ones that say "noname".
zany_001

Post by zany_001 »

ahh,so its not perfect,but its there.
Once I was sad, and I stopped being sad and was awesome instead.
True story.