The Terrain "headache" :)

Topics relating to Modeling with Reality Factory.
Devalos

The Terrain "headache" :)

Post by Devalos »

Hi guys,

I know there are some other threads about this issue, but i've been unable to build my terrain in RFedit pro.

I use milkshake, export with *.bdy extension.
Then i go to the Acstudio, to build up my terrain.act. [didnt textured it]
In RFedit pro, i add a static mesh - give the colision script 2 / actor path, when I compile, no error, but trying to run my lvl crashes

any thoughts that might solve this? i used the tutorial that it stickied here on the forums.

Thanks in advance,
M
Juutis

Post by Juutis »

Check the log file (realityfactory.log). It will probably have some info about the crash. Posting it here wouldn't hurt either.
Pain is only psychological.
Devalos

Post by Devalos »

sorry,
I posted this while at work. Didn't have the time to do it while I was home. when i return I will compile the lvl and post here the log.
Thanks.
Spyrewolf

Post by Spyrewolf »

didnt textured it
This is your problem right here, your .act file needs at least 1 base material, i've run into this before in the past. just slap together a test texture untill your ready for final texturing. hopefully that helps if you still run into probs let us know[/code][/quote]
Devalos

Post by Devalos »

Thanks Spywolf, i'll do that :)

cheers
Devalos

got the terrain, but, can't texture it

Post by Devalos »

Hello all,

After reading and using the tips on the tutorial Actors from Brushes here's why i've got.

1- open milshake 3D
2- tools- terrain generator.
3- export in *.bdy file to (ie) actors/temp folder
4- put texture.bmp in the same folder
4- open AStudio
5- new project - select the actors/temp folder
6- AStudio settings
6a) target - terrain.act
6b) body - terrain.bdy (exported from Milkshake to the actors/temp)
6c) paths - Materials directory - actors/temp (full path with the c:/ even)
6d) paths - Temp files directory - actors/temp/BldTemp
7- Build result sucessful.

Then i have my terrain.act which I add to my level design. give the colision settings and visibility too.

8- StaticMesh
9-complie and preview.

The terrain is there but the texture is not showing.
I tried to texture it with some texture form the library in use but when i refresh or compile the texture resets.

any thought on I can solve this one. I tried to texture it in Milkshake and exported to *.bdy no errors or crashes.

Thanks in advance,
M
Juutis

Post by Juutis »

I tried to texture it in Milkshake and exported to *.bdy no errors or crashes.
That should be enough... Just texture it in MilkShape and export to .bdy. Then use that .bdy file with the AStudio, no extra tricks should be needed.
Spyrewolf

Post by Spyrewolf »

The terrain is there but the texture is not showing.
I tried to texture it with some texture form the library in use but when i refresh or compile the texture resets.
make sure your .bdy file and the texture your using exsist in the same directory, otherwise they will now follow through, this gets me from time to time, as a good practice try to keep all of your materials for your .act in one folder, so mot's .bdy texture in one folder, per model. if move your texture, go back into milkshape re-export the .bdy then the re-compile, hopefully this will help your cause.[/quote]
Devalos

Post by Devalos »

hey guys, thanks for the help. im not sure if its some problem with the texture.

both .bdy and .bmp on the same folder. the texture is based on a desert skin. it show fine on milkshake though.
but this is what i get.

and if I try to change the texture on the RFeditpro, it changes back to the first one on my texture library :S

I think I'm close but im missing something here :S
Attachments
missterra.jpg
pic of the preview
(49.54 KiB) Downloaded 37 times
Devalos

Post by Devalos »

still, can figure this out. model on milkshke is fine and texture. after i build the actor it get a fill color instead of the texture. on the static mesh i have the fill color to false.
any thought would be appreciated :)

thanks in advance
bernie
RF Moderator

Post by bernie »

The texture must be a square (multiple of 2) ie 64x64, 128x128, 256x256 etc and .bmp NOT .jpg or any other file type and in the same directory as the .bdy file for astudio to work.
You can change to .tga if necessary using skin replacer AFTER your .act file has been built.
In step 6c astudio change Paths materials directory to .\ NOT the full path there does seem to be a problem with this.
The file path for the .bdy file should be FULL path.
Juutis

Post by Juutis »

The texture must be a square (multiple of 2) ie 64x64, 128x128, 256x256 etc and .bmp NOT .jpg or any other file type and in the same directory as the .bdy file for astudio to work.
I don't think the texture has to be square. 64x128, 32x256 etc work too.
Devalos

Post by Devalos »

bernie wrote:The texture must be a square (multiple of 2) ie 64x64, 128x128, 256x256 etc and .bmp NOT .jpg or any other file type and in the same directory as the .bdy file for astudio to work.
You can change to .tga if necessary using skin replacer AFTER your .act file has been built.
In step 6c astudio change Paths materials directory to .\ NOT the full path there does seem to be a problem with this.
The file path for the .bdy file should be FULL path.
Thanks bernie. will try those steps asap.