3d Modelling Programs!

Topics relating to Modeling with Reality Factory.
Gunner Pink

Post by Gunner Pink »

Actually I seem to have found Truespace 3 or 4 free and it's working excellently for me, I'm just having trouble getting TrueGene!
I'm insane! You are all sane and I'm the only INSANE ONE!

I'm Getting married!
YOU SEE!

I'm INSANE!
darksmaster923

Post by darksmaster923 »

i always had alot of trouble modeling with truespace. i "think" theres a 650 poly limit which is good to keep your models from getting to high poly but can also be annoying
Herp derp.
zany_001

Post by zany_001 »

truespace looks too basic to me cos i come from blender,but truegene should be one that site with it.
Its pretty old,cos there is truespace 7(?)out now,so if u can,use blender.
Once I was sad, and I stopped being sad and was awesome instead.
True story.
Gunner Pink

Post by Gunner Pink »

Blender is great and all, but it doesn't offer what I desire, which is a simple system you can jump into!

Its great and all and the sculpt mode looks good, but I can't make heads or tails of it and the Tutorials are too much for me.

I'm not 100% Keen on using a high-end tool for something that just doesn't need it!
I'm insane! You are all sane and I'm the only INSANE ONE!

I'm Getting married!
YOU SEE!

I'm INSANE!
zany_001

Post by zany_001 »

k,no prob,but u better check wat darkmaster said
True story.
MakerOfGames

Post by MakerOfGames »

gameSpace Light has the polygon limit mentioned by darkmaster923, but other than that it is a great modeling program. However, I have found that the installer of a year ago had a glitch that the total polygons in the scene could be 650 witch is contradictory to the 5000 mentioned on the site.

trueSpace 3 is completely free however the UV map tools don't work well. I can't figure out how to map objects with it. Also, its from 1997 or 98, so there is no advanced bone modeling system so all animations must be made by direct deformation or having separate objects to make up the larger objects. EX: foot, lower leg, upper leg, to make an animate-able leg to create a joint based animation.

I am currently in search of a good 3D modeler myself, and I am tempted to try and make sense of blender. I have tried it before but it has a hefty learning curve.
Think outside the box.
To go on an adventure, one must discard the comforts and safety of the known and trusted.
hike1
RF FAQ-Keeper

Post by hike1 »

Blender Tuts
http://terrymorgan.net/download.htm

CTRL-F search blender modeling
gamemakerg

Post by gamemakerg »

I have bleander and it is easy if you learn it BUT someone that knows the python export and import scripts will need to make scripts for exporting to the languge of RF
Voltare

Post by Voltare »

those hike1 tutes are good....read those thoroughly....but.....remember this: getting that into RF requires , for now, Milkshape.

I'm trying, right now....with ,little success, of getting an animated blender model out and into Rf through Gmax.(blender exports to .obj, gmax imports it)

Face it, guys,,,unless you want to "roll your own" game engine, like the guys who made planescape did(using crystal space and its own cal3d importer) you'll-never-make-any-game-with-blender!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

reasons for this :

1. Unless you have dedicated programmers(like planescape does), you alone will not use blender and make a game engine.
You can not wrangle with blender and then have to wrangle through c++ or VB bugs.
Check out how many people work on planescape( and even, the project that good ol' hike1 up there works on: there's at least 10 on each.)

Then check out the models in both games.....those of you who are expecting to make 3000 polygon blender models are in for quite a shock.And forget about using MakeHuman in any free game engine.I've tried decimating those meshes...and they just get screwed after 8,000.

I know you like blender for its power...etc. but until a .bdy and .mot python script is written, blender is useless for RF.
FragMatic

Post by FragMatic »

zmodeler
Xenogaska

Post by Xenogaska »

Hey don't be so quick to say blender doesn't work with any 3d engines that are easy to use.

http://devnet.sylphis3d.com/ is a nice engine.

Now in no way am I trying to suggest something instead of reality factory, its just this engine works with blender, so just giving you options.

This is what I switched to, after reality factory got me started.
zany_001

Post by zany_001 »

True story.
Xenogaska

Post by Xenogaska »

Just to make a point, crystal space does not support the same level of scripting as sylphis (i think)

Sylphis is about as powerful as the doom3 engine, and used to be about 100 dollars.

Crystal Space is amazing, but more of a programmer engine.

I just thought sylphis might be good for you reality factroy type of people.
zany_001

Post by zany_001 »

i was just pointing out that there is more than one.
True story.