Blender-->Gmax-->Reality Factory??

Topics relating to Modeling with Reality Factory.
Soulshifter

Blender-->Gmax-->Reality Factory??

Post by Soulshifter »

I am using blender3d for modelling and i looked everywhere for how to export its models to reality factory and everyone sais "get milkshape3d,it is only $25...". I want mo import models in reality factory in the completely free way. My idea was to export objects from blender to .3ds and than import that in Gmax and from there to .bdy, .mov . But gmax can only export to .p3d (???). After lookin all over the net for a export plugin i found the gmaxg3dexp plugin and it sais that it can export to nfo and key. it sounds great but the thing is that i dont know anything about gmax and i cant get it to work. I only managed to find out that i have to convert the model to editable mesh and i did that but nothing happens. Can someone please write a quick tutorial on how to set up the mesh and script ,thanks
paradoxnj
RF2 Dev Team

Post by paradoxnj »

AndyCR has Python experience...i'm sure if everyone asks him, he could write a plugin for Blender to export to the NFO and KEY formats that Genesis Actor Studio can understand. ;)
Soulshifter

Post by Soulshifter »

that would be really great. I had tried exporting with the script but it always sais

NFO 2.0
Material List
Number of Materials = 0
Bone List
Number of Bones = 0
Node Transform Matrix List
Number of Nodes = 0
Mesh List
Number of meshes = 0

the example file that came with the script is working so i am obviously doing something wrong
Voltare

Post by Voltare »

I don't understand this infatuation with blender?It's clunky, Linux-derived interface needs a serious overhaul.Gmax is tons better.Heck PrettyPoly modeler is tons better.

1; only 1 game i know of has blender made models in it.
2: and it's only the character models, the other models in it were made with QuARK.
3: Please,please use something else.Blender will never be accepted in the game making community.
4: If a program has a 10 step method to making a cube, it needs a SERIOUS redesign.
5: I'm not being mean here, or flaming.....i just do not understand , if you blender guys are having so much problems getting blender made models into other game engines, why not just drop blender?
Spyrewolf

Post by Spyrewolf »

dude have you used the later versions? that not that bad. the earlier one were alfull its actually ok now.
bernie
RF Moderator

Post by bernie »

Yes I agree 100% voltare. I have the very latest Blender release and still can't make head or tail of it. It's just too much effort to try and understand the interface when everything is so much easier and straightforward with milkshape. I know MS costs 25 bucks but its worth every penny of it for its ease of use. I agree it's not perfect but it is improving with every update.
Soulshifter

Post by Soulshifter »

lol it isn't important in which program you make your models but how u make them. I am using blender for around two years and i am used to its interface.It is true that it is not a very user friendly interface but i think that if u get used to it you will love blender.
4: If a program has a 10 step method to making a cube, it needs a SERIOUS redesign.
??? what
MINI TUTORIAL TO ADD A CUBE IN BLENDER

Press "Space" -> add->mesh->cube

you need to press one key on the keyboard and click the left mouse button once...

I got used to blenders interface and shortcuts and wouldnt change blender for any other program at the moment :D
Voltare

Post by Voltare »

must be a new thing they added.....the blender i worked with didn't have primitives

i do understand...you like it. but what you'll have to do is this: since blender does things awkwardly, you'll have to export just the model itself, no animations( nothing i know of will read them)as either .3ds or a .wings file, and open it in wings3d or MM3D or Anim8or, and fix everything there.

The last two are the only other free programs i know of that do animations......
Spyrewolf

Post by Spyrewolf »

erm blender does animations now too,
and im pretty sure it can export to max keyframe format that RF supports :)

seriously it has had a major overhall.
zany_001

Post by zany_001 »

voltare im not dissing u wen i say this,but can u please dl Blenders latest version,read a few tutes,and then give us some opinions?also wat version was the 10 step cube on?that musta been ooold.cos wat soulshifter said about space>add>cube is wat they do now.animations r there now,and its not the modelling program u use,its how you use it,although some things about blender arenty perfect,it is still pretty advanced 4 a freeb.
Once I was sad, and I stopped being sad and was awesome instead.
True story.
Josh7356

Post by Josh7356 »

Spyrewolf wrote:erm blender does animations now too,
and im pretty sure it can export to max keyframe format that RF supports :)

seriously it has had a major overhall.
Really now? I've heard something about that too? Has anyone tried it yet? I've been trying to convert my gmax models with that exporter thing unsuccessfully (still don't have milkshape- not because I'm not willing to spend $25 but because I'm not into buying things online) but if it's easier in blender I might consider switching to that program for my models. Sorry if I got a bit off topic there, but I'm quite interested.
Soulshifter

Post by Soulshifter »

I am going a bit off topic but in what format do i need to export my models so that they have textures? i am using milkshape to convert models from blender to .bdy until the trial expires and maybe i will buy it but still it is faster for me to model in blender.What do i need to do to to export the textures ??
Soulshifter

Post by Soulshifter »

I exported a simple textured model,just for test,into .obj and .3ds .obj and milkshape cant open them... than i exported to .md2 and i could open that with milkshape...anyone knows what format is compatible between blender and milkshape??
Voltare

Post by Voltare »

try the lithunwrap ( the L icon in the RF tools folder) .It might work.....as it also saves to .ms3d and i think .act.Save out as a .3ds from blender, open in lithunwrap where you can then edit the texture's dimensions.
Soulshifter

Post by Soulshifter »

i managed to import an textured actor in reality factory :D :D :D :D :D

if anyone is interesed : i modeled and textured in blender
- exported in .3ds
- imported in lightunwrap and saved as .ms3d
- opened in milkshape and exported as .bdy
opened in astudio and saved as .act
and finaly i opened it in reality factory and it worked :D :D :D

now my second goal is to try to import an animation. Thanks everyone for help