1 texel = ? centimeters (meters)

Discuss any other topics here
Soulshifter

1 texel = ? centimeters (meters)

Post by Soulshifter »

In the faq i read that a player is 72 texels high and doors are 96 texels and standard walls are 128 texels high but if a make a room 128 texels high my player touches the ceiling so i think something is wrong. Anyone knows how much texels would be one meter ??

EDIT

I made a few quick calculation and in third view the player is around 20-30 cm from the ceiling so i suppose one texel is more or less 1.5 -1.8 cm. But i dont know if i am righ
Voltare

Post by Voltare »

you are right-----player is 72 texels, like average height(using american measures) for males is 72 inches, so 1 texel=1 inch, which is about 1.6 cms.
Juutis

Post by Juutis »

Actually, 1 inch = exactly 2.54cm.

And about this texels and inches stuff:
The measurements in games are relative. It's all about how big one thing is compared to another. So you could decide that your player is for example 50 texels high and a room is 75 texels high. It would be the same if your room was 150 texels and the player 100 texels high. The relation between them would still be the same. So it's really up to you how big distance you want a texel to be. It could be 1cm or 1 mile.
Pain is only psychological.
Jay
RF Dev Team

Post by Jay »

Yep it's really the relations that matter. In my game for example i use a PlayerScale of 0.2 and my doors are normally 16 texels high and 8 texels wide, and i work everything from there, because i can easily imagine that if a door is this and this high, the rest must be this and this high...
Everyone can see the difficult, but only the wise can see the simple.
-----
Soulshifter

Post by Soulshifter »

if i try to think of texels in inches it makes more sense. But the thing that bothers me is that if i want to make a room that is generaly around 2.5m high, thats 98 inches so it is 98 texels but if i make a room thats 114 texels high : 98+ 8 floor+ 8 ceiling thickness i get this result that doesnt seem righ. I whant to know about the texel-cm relation becouse i want to make a level from a blueprint of my university so it wouls be easyer to make everything if i know the texel dimensions,than making it from looking the result and playing with the numbers. By the way,is it possible to change a brush dimensions after adding them with "enter"?

Spyrewolf

Post by Spyrewolf »

no one texel =! one inch.

there are some freeby texel calculator/rulers out there, personally i don't bother with texel calculators and such,

tips for level creation using crates(cubes) as a measure(modular level design)
the first thing i do is import the player mesh and one crate.

the player size does not matter. the crate i use blocks in the level measurements for me
the crate must come to the waist of the player and be approx twice as wide.

a general room i find is 3-4 crates high. (depening on your taste). basically 1-1/2 of the player. or twice as high.
hallways are usually 3 high, 2 wide

it's generally up to you and what looks good, but using some form of measurement will generally improve your levels appearance.