Adjusting Skydome

Topics regarding Scripting with Reality Factory
Jaguar_jwg

Adjusting Skydome

Post by Jaguar_jwg »

I have a slight problem with my skydome. I have a small terrain with skydome. My skybox extends far beyond the terrain (I did this in order to place more terrain. I want to test how many blocks of terrain I can safely run in RF).
The problem occurs when I switch from FPS to the other views. The skydome's terrain is above my player, even though I have the skydome entity below my terrain and PlayerStart entity. In the world editor I had moved the terrain down from it's original position. Is that the problem. I would like some help on this please.
However, I would also like some help on understanding the skydome script, so that I can edit it myself. For example, 'SetLocation(-23, 6, 12, 24);' What does the '(-23, 6, 12, 24)' represent? Or 'SetHeightOrigin(-128);' I don't clearly understand these. I would be grateful for any help in these areas.
Is there a help file on script's coding?
Jay
RF Dev Team

Post by Jay »

SetLocation(...) is for defining on which location you are on a planet and on which day you are starting, when you are on the equator the first number is 0, others are farther away. I don't know what it's called exactly in terminology, but it may either be latitude or longitude...
the next number defines the month, the third number is the day and the last number is the hour at which the skydome should start.

SetHeightOrigin(...) is the one that matters for you. The height of the skydome terrain is not defined by the height of the SkyDome entity, but with this number. Set it lower, and the skydome terrain will also be lower.
Everyone can see the difficult, but only the wise can see the simple.
-----
Jaguar_jwg

Post by Jaguar_jwg »

Thank you. I'll try it.
What abou the help file on scripting code. Is there one somewhere?
Spyrewolf

Post by Spyrewolf »

aha, maybe i've been a bit harsh on the newbies as of late , from the onset the main site really has no direct link to documentation, (visibly)

@Quest! can we get a link set up in the main menu to the docs download its not really apparent where it is

anywho here's the link to the documentation dude
http://www.realityfactory.info/cms/inde ... arn/manual

once you get the docs look up skydome scripting
Jaguar_jwg

Post by Jaguar_jwg »

Thanks, I thought I had downloaded that file.

EDIT
BOOM!
I just started reading the RF Manual and saw this statement: “you can get
Discreet's Autodesk 3ds Max with Character Studio - Reality Factory supports
Genesis3D actors created with v2.5, v3.1, v4, v5, v6 or v7.”
Does this mean I can use 3ds Max 7 and get my models in RF without using MilkShape?
If so do I need a plugin? I don’t see a suitable format in the export menu.
Please, I am eager to know this. I had read about using max, but I thought it applied to earlier versions like v3 & v4. Thanks
QuestOfDreams
Site Admin

Post by QuestOfDreams »

Quest! can we get a link set up in the main menu to the docs download its not really apparent where it is
The docs are included in the RF installer, so if you have RF installed you automatically have the manual on your pc...

Max 6/7 exporter should be here:
http://terrymorgan.net/max6-7exporters.rar
Jaguar_jwg

Post by Jaguar_jwg »

Oh, I didn't hear any reply on if I can use 3dsMax7 instead of MilkShape. I really would like to know. Thanks

OK I see it now. I downloaded the max exporter pluging nfo and key, but when I copy them in the plugins folder and run 3dsMax, I get messages saying that they failed to initialize.
Is there anyone that is using 3dsMax, that got the nfo working? Can you reply and let me know how I might get mine sorted out?