How do you?

Topics relating to Modeling with Reality Factory.
Voltare

Post by Voltare »

sorry bernie...but unless he's got pre-1.80 milkshape, it ain't gonna work.
scott

Post by scott »

if you guys would like i can upload version 1.7.6, of course you will need you own license key, if you have already had it registerd on the computer there wont be anything to wory about.
*GD*
Voltare

Post by Voltare »

i would LOVE to have 1.76 back!!!!!!!!that's the one that was near perfect!
bernie
RF Moderator

Post by bernie »

Works for me v1.8.0 I haven't installed 1.8.1 yet
scott

Post by scott »

i have had a few problems with 1.8.0 and 1.8.1 not exporting it just seemed more unstable so i found an old copy on my pc as i use my laptop now so was lucky to have it.
here is the link.
http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/scottswebpag ... v1.7.6.zip
*GD*
hike1
RF FAQ-Keeper

Post by hike1 »

Jaguar_jwg

Post by Jaguar_jwg »

Bernie is right. I have v1.80, 3dsMax, and I have been able to create a huge terrain as an .act, and use it.
Framerate is about 30, which I can live with.
Here are some methods you can use:

First of all, create a folder in the media folder of RF, and name it my_models, or whatever you wish. In the folder you just created, create another folder, and name it materials. You should have the following directory structure:
\media
\my_models
\materials
This is very important in allowing your files to be found.
If you created your terrain in 3dsMax, you can texture it, and export it as a .3ds file. However, to save you extra work getting your .act file textured, I HIGHLY RECOMMEND you download and install PandaDXExport plugin for 3dsMax. This allows you to export the terrain as an .x file, which automatically converts your texture maps to 8 bit (Textures must be an 8 bit or 24 bit bitmap. Other wise, the texture will not be recognized by the Milkshape export tool and the material will not be added to the BDY file. Read the m3drf.pdf from page 73. You should download this and Reality Factory v0.75A.pdf from Reality Factory website. You may also want to download Edit_tutorial9.pdf which contains this helpful information, to prevent any problems with getting your .act model textured.).
Click on tools in MilkShape, and select DirectXMesh Tools. Click on the first icon, browse to your .x file, open it, and click on the second icon. Your model should appear. It may be quite big, but if you zoom out and rotate the view, you should see your model fully textured. All you have to do now is export it as a .bdy.
Open AStudio (in the RF tools folder) and create, your actor.
On how to use AStudio, read from page 189 of Reality Factory v0.75A.pdf. (There is no need to put anything in the Paths, because your materials are in the same directory as your .bdy. However, for the sake of organization, I copy my textures to the materials folder, and in the Paths textbox, I type .\materials.) Use ActView to see if your model came out alright (Of course you need to copy you .act file from the my_models directory to the actors directory.).
For getting your actor into RF read from page 81 of m3drf.pdf.

A fine way to create terrain, where you can use both a .map file and an .act is to use a bitmat.
Create a 64x64 grayscale image of terrain, where the lighter are the higher levels (I guess you know how that works). You can either use Height Map Generator or Terrain Generator ( I think Terrain Generator makes it bigger. I’m not sure), from the Tools menu in MilkShape to open your file and generate it. You can then modify it (texture, cut into sections, etc) and then export it as a .bdy. Use Nems to generate a .map file from your bitmap, (You have to change the grid in Nems to 128) and export it to you levels folder.
Thanks to Jay I got this done. Open your .map file in your level editor, and select all it’s brushes. Flag them as a clip. Then use your terrain actor as a StaticMesh.

All of this can be done using the tools you have. I got mine done. I hope this information gets you going in the direction you want.

One thing though. How do you get those little quotes at the bottom of your post?

edited
I did some testing, and realize that I get a better framerate using a terrain actor, without a .map file. Using EnvironmentSetup makes it even better. I realize too, to my dismay, that with a little maneuvering, my character can still walk up mountains. I'll have to use a boundery as an actor to block him.