Import Animation

Topics relating to Modeling with Reality Factory.
Shanik

Import Animation

Post by Shanik »

I've done a very simple walk animation to my model on Milkshape3D and now I'm a bit stuck; how do I import the animation to Reality Factory?

I opened up the ActorDecompile program in the tools folder and looked at the other models, and they have a folder called "Motions", where all their animations are stored. Do I need to do this to my character model? If so, what would I need to do? Thanks in advance.
QuestOfDreams
Site Admin

Post by QuestOfDreams »

.bdy (body geometry) and .mot (motion info) can be compiled into an .act via the astudio tool
Shanik

Post by Shanik »

Thanks, but the animation I added to my model doesn't work when I try to preview it on ActorDecompile, even though it works perfectly when I preview it on Milkshape. Am I doing something wrong?
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

You would'nt preview it using ActorDecompile. You would want to preview in it actviewer. or viewer.
Those who have all the answers, are never up to date on the questions.
Shanik

Post by Shanik »

Even when I opened it up with ActViewer, my walk animation still wasn't running. :?

I still don't get what I'm doing wrong.

1. I have 2 sonic .ms3d files, one of him standing still, the other of him walking.
2. I exported the standing sonic file as a .bdy file.
3. I then exported the walking animation as a .mot file.
4. I opened up AStudio, added the body and motion file and compiled it to a .act file.
5. Copied the new file into the Actors folder.
bernie
RF Moderator

Post by bernie »

Maybe I am misunderstanding what you are saying here but you need to export the walking model as .bdy and .mot. The animation is specific to the walking model skeleton and mesh. Then compile using astudio to an act file.
Shanik

Post by Shanik »

Thanks! I did what you said and also altered some settings in AStudio and got it animated.

I then copied PlayerSetup.ini, renamed and altered it so the animation to walk was equal to the name of my animation and was able to make the animation run in the game. :o
Jaguar_jwg

Post by Jaguar_jwg »

Um. Wait a minute. I am interested in this topic, but I am a bit confused. Bernie - did I understand you correctly?
You said, 'you need to export the walking model as .bdy and .mot.', and Shanik, you got yours working?
Well guys please, help me out here. I want my model animated too, and right now its not doing that, so please tell me where I have gone wrong, step by step.

I bones my mesh in Milkshape.
Export it as a .bdy.
Animate it, and export it as a .mot.
Use AStudio, add ny .bdy and my .mot, and build the actor. (the .mot file is named Idle)
Copy it to the actors folder.
Use the character .ini to create a new name with my .act file, and run the game.
My actor is there, but it isn't animating.

Where have I gone wrong?
Please, I'd appreciate if you give me a detailed step by step, if need be, because this has me totally stumped. Thanks
bernie
RF Moderator

Post by bernie »

Does your act file animate in actor viewer?
Jaguar_jwg

Post by Jaguar_jwg »

Yes. Exactly the way it does in MilkShape.
bernie
RF Moderator

Post by bernie »

Then the problem is likely to be in the character.ini file
check spelling etc for typo's.

Minimum requirement:-

[Your character name]
image =Your actor image.bmp
actorname = Your actor.act
actorrotation = x y z
actorscale = Scale of your actor
animationspeed = 1
attributefile = player.ini
startlevel = Your level.bsp

[Daniel]
etc....
Jaguar_jwg

Post by Jaguar_jwg »

I got my Idle animation working. I had to export the animation with the animation name, for example "Idle.mot", in order for it to work. Sorry to have wasted your time on that. I have a problem though. I can't get rid of the Idle animation from the keyframes. I hit 'delete keyframe' and 'remove all keyframes'. I restarted the program numerous times, and they are still there. Shanik, did you get this problem? How do I get rid of used keyframes?
bernie
RF Moderator

Post by bernie »

In Menu bar select -> Animate and untick "operate on selected joints only" then if you still have difficulty with remove all keyframes try
File -> preferences -> reset defaults that should clear things up.
Jaguar_jwg

Post by Jaguar_jwg »

The 'File -> preferences -> reset defaults' worked. Thanks

I was asking though. How do you get those little quotes at the bottom of your post?
bernie
RF Moderator

Post by bernie »

I was asking though. How do you get those little quotes at the bottom of your post?
Add signature in your profile.