enemy possesion script thread.

Discuss any other topics here
MakerOfGames

Post by MakerOfGames »

Nice looking gaurd. How many polys are in one of them?

I am glad to see you have made a thread to inform us about your new project.

Btw, how do you keep changing the title of your thread?
Think outside the box.
To go on an adventure, one must discard the comforts and safety of the known and trusted.
psYco

the subject can change!

Post by psYco »

you can change the title by editing your 1st pos/ts subject by presing edit buton sry so brief am o n line wid my PSP
psYco

Post by psYco »

1 guard has about 400 polys then with the mask adn gun etc its like 500! Thanks! I havent realy used many poly saving tricks since I dont know any so mabey there could be less! :)
MakerOfGames

Post by MakerOfGames »

There should be a thread in the modelers section about modeling techniques. I have been modeling for about 2 years now in trueSpace/gameSpace so I know good ways to optimize polygon counts. The way I learned is from constant trial and error. I would offer to start the thread but I have my own game project to focus on.
Think outside the box.
To go on an adventure, one must discard the comforts and safety of the known and trusted.
psYco

Post by psYco »

Although im not planning on working on the script to allow for a scripted player to posses enemy pawns witch will then change the view from 3rd to 1st perspective and change other attributes such as allowing the player to use a gun, I am a bit confused about the details, since this has never been done in RF to my knowlage Im not sure where to start, I mean when I modell the guards and animate them should I make them with a weapon always in their hands? And should I make them firing animations with modelled weapons? They will need tese obliviously since you will still have to interact with them (normally run away!) when you are not possesing them but, then how will you see the gun modell when you DO possess them? I hope you understand what Im saying (if not at all try reading through the thread! :) )

So what Im asking is as far as modelling the enemys what needs to be made? And If I want to make them also usable as first person characters, how do I get them to have an FPS weapon when I possess them considering they will be a 'possessable enemy pawn'
psYco

Post by psYco »

@ juutis, so dude to get the script you were talking about using to get this effect (the possesing) waht models animations etc do I need??? And as I ask in the last post, how do I get the enemy to have an FPS weapon when the player posses him? TNKS!
Juutis

Post by Juutis »

Well... in order to write and test the script(s) you basically need only one simple model with no animations. Pawns don't need any move animations when moving, jump animations when jumping etc...
Of course, it'll look much better if the pawn plays different animations when doing different things. So before starting on that script, some kind of move and idle animations would be useful.

I'm not sure about that first person weapon thing. You may have to create another pawn for the weapon and position it to be a first person weapon.
Also, I think once you attach the camera to the 'possessed enemy' and set it to first person, the pawn's alpha drops to 0 and it becomes invisible. So you don't need to worry about being able to see the actor of the possessed pawn.
Pain is only psychological.
psYco

Post by psYco »

K! this is all pretty complicated but I think I understand wat Ur saying basically i just modell adn animate the enemy like a regualr enemy pawn and then when the script makes you ''possess'' him he will be come invisible and you will only see another pawn witch will act like an FPS weapon but then when you see the enemy wont the 'FPS weapon pawn' be floating in front of him?
Juutis

Post by Juutis »

The FPS weapon can be scripted to be invisible when the enemy pawn is not possessed, and appear when it's possessed.
psYco

Post by psYco »

Kool! Although with these comlicated scripts like that allen5924 and I will need a wee bit of help (allen is my partner in crime and in game dev we used to go to school 2gether till I moved to England 4monthes ago :( )

Any way thanks for all the help youve already been!!!! :D

the more I find out about RF the more I realise its amazing potential its true that what you can do with it is basically limited to your imagination and the clever ways of being able to create the illusions you can think of!!
Juutis

Post by Juutis »

I'm sure you guys will get the hang of it and create another awesome game for us folks to play!! :D

And yes, that's the part I love in RF. There's always a way. You may not be able to do certain things but with clever tricks you can go round almost any problem.
allen5924

4months???

Post by allen5924 »

dude it's been 4 months??? woah thats long....
oh and regarding that script.. we need loads of help and i need motivation that this is more important than writing emo poems and drawing emo pics in my note book......

oh well...

luv.aXF
GD1

Post by GD1 »

i need motivation that game dev is more important than writing emo music ;)
Check out my band
Tougher Than Fort Knox
morbidsouldotcom

Post by morbidsouldotcom »

Yes, I realize this is an old topic, but I was wondering if this game was ever finished? Because it sound really cool. Also, I just read an article about a new game coming out that seems pretty similar (Prototype) to this... Unless he ended up writing that one! XD. But I was just wondering, cuz I'd like to play it if it is. Thanks!

-M3rcury
scott

Post by scott »

this is the game they are making
http://www.realityfactory.info/forum/vi ... 46&start=0
yes as far as i know its still going but unsure if they was able to fit the feature in
*GD*