How much can be accomplished through scripting?

Topics regarding Scripting with Reality Factory
Destron

How much can be accomplished through scripting?

Post by Destron »

Hey, just wondering: how much can be done through scripting?

Simple things like NPC interactions and gameplay triggers are obviously easy-ish to do with it, but can you do more complex things with it, such as bullet-time?
Jay
RF Dev Team

Post by Jay »

If you can wait for the next community release, there will be a SetTimeScale(...) command that sets a 'time scale' that makes everything slower or faster. You can slow down everything to 50% by using SetTimeScale(0.5);
If you'd like you could also make the (scripted) player faster at the same time, so it would be like in Jedi Knight II where the speed-force made everything slower while you yourself are still at a decent speed.
That's what you meant with bullet time?

Other thinghs like inventory systems, buying-selling screens, dialog boxes, armor/resistances and much more are already possible, but you should invest a good amount of time. Those thinghs can get pretty huge over time(my main script that handles basically everything is over 6000 lines!)

Hope i helped you :)
Everyone can see the difficult, but only the wise can see the simple.
-----
Destron

Post by Destron »

Actually, in Jedi Knight, you can just run and do normal actions very fast. In Jedi Knight 2, I believe that the engine slows everything down. In multiplayer JK2, however, that's not possible, so you just run really fast like in JK1.

Thanks for information related to RF scripting, that should help some.
paradoxnj
RF2 Dev Team

Post by paradoxnj »

Actually, in Jedi Knight, you can just run and do normal actions very fast. In Jedi Knight 2, I believe that the engine slows everything down. In multiplayer JK2, however, that's not possible, so you just run really fast like in JK1.
That would be interesting since they both use the Quake 3 engine.
Destron

Post by Destron »

No, no, I think you're misunderstanding.

Dark Forces II: Jedi Knight [1] runs on it's own engine. It is somewhat primitive to technology nowadays, and force speed, both in SP and MP, is implemented by making the player execute actions (run, jump, attack) a couple times faster than normal.
In Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast [2], singeplayer Force Speed is more of a bullet-time -esque slow motion, where you are a little slower than you normally are, and the environment slows down even further. In multiplayer, however, this is not possible, because to give you an advantage like that, the game would have to slow down every player's timescale. Thus, it works like Jedi Knight 1, where everyone else moves normally and you can move really fast.