BioShock

Discuss any other topics here
AndyCR

Post by AndyCR »

Agreed. Demo is awesome, but chances that I will buy the game are slim to none thanks to the total disrespect for customers.
bernie
RF Moderator

Beware Bioshock contains dangerous spyware or virus

Post by bernie »

I Found this on another forum;

Bioshock (Demo as well as Full Version) installs some kind of "rootkit" on your system, which is part of Sony's Securom protecion. It forbids you from using Processs Explorer and maybe other tools. The annoying thing is, that you cannot run Bioshock any more, even after the Process Explorer process is closed! Once you used Process Explorer, you need to reboot your computer before you can run Bioshock again. So obviously "something" is running in the background and watching me, ready to lock Bioshock as soon as I run one of the "blacklisted" applications. How else could they know that Process Explorer was running before? I checked for new processes running on my system: nothing! I checked for new services: nothing! I scanned the registry for "Securom": nothing! The "thing", whatever it is, seems to sit deeper in the system. And I'm not amused about that...
LtForce

Re: Beware Bioshock contains dangerous spyware or virus

Post by LtForce »

bernie wrote:I Found this on another forum;

Bioshock (Demo as well as Full Version) installs some kind of "rootkit" on your system, which is part of Sony's Securom protecion. It forbids you from using Processs Explorer and maybe other tools. The annoying thing is, that you cannot run Bioshock any more, even after the Process Explorer process is closed! Once you used Process Explorer, you need to reboot your computer before you can run Bioshock again. So obviously "something" is running in the background and watching me, ready to lock Bioshock as soon as I run one of the "blacklisted" applications. How else could they know that Process Explorer was running before? I checked for new processes running on my system: nothing! I checked for new services: nothing! I scanned the registry for "Securom": nothing! The "thing", whatever it is, seems to sit deeper in the system. And I'm not amused about that...
This is offtopic, but you're good writer. I enjoyed reading about that "something". It could be a starting story for some sci-fi book. Best phrase ever: "The "thing", whatever it is, seems to sit deeper in the system"
Lithuanians for Georgia!
psYco

Post by psYco »

I FINNALY got bioshock working, on my mates PC, (after trying to get it working on mine for about 13 hours, about 3 of which was spent on line to support lines) anyway, it IS the best game ive ever played, and is a beautiful expereince, but I still cant get it working on MY pc, I think its my router thats blocking the patch download, but Im replacing my router with a hub (which my friend has [when it worked]) so hopefully it will start working when i get that tomorow...

Oh well, I still recommend it but only when there is a way to MANUALLY download the patch...
bernie
RF Moderator

Post by bernie »

After further research it turns out that the securerom system installed with the Bioshock demo is NOT a ROOTKIT but it IS a registry Infection which can stop some of your programs from working. It Cannot be removed from your system without a clean reinstall of you OS and therefore must be regarded as a virus. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.
Destron

Post by Destron »

bernie wrote:After further research it turns out that the securerom system installed with the Bioshock demo is NOT a ROOTKIT but it IS a registry Infection which can stop some of your programs from working. It Cannot be removed from your system without a clean reinstall of you OS and therefore must be regarded as a virus. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.
Try installing the demo through Steam.
Destron

Post by Destron »

Whoops. :D

http://www.corpnews.com/node/177
"The only data collected is the serial being used for activation, the IP address used for activation, an identifier for the software being activated, and the hash of the machine ID. The ID cannot be read by any other system or operator. Its only purpose is for comparing future activations on a particular serial." Additionally, they later go on to mention that it "does place a folder and registry keys on your system. These folders are used only for storage of license information and information to assist with disc authentication. Please do not modify or delete these files. Tampering with these files may result in authentication issues."
bernie
RF Moderator

Post by bernie »

I Suggest you go to this site and read all 3 pages. They explain the situation perfectly.

http://www.twitchguru.com/2007/08/27/bioshock_drm/

I am saying no more on this subject. It's your computer that is infected not mine.
creeper

Post by creeper »

All this stupid copy-protection in a lot of newer PC games such as Steam and other net activation and rootkits causes me to get the console versions. Just get the Xbox360 version.

I finally got it and Bioshock is awesome. It's basically a remake of System Shock 2 (1999) except SS2 is in a space station and it has RPG skill points and upgradable attributes. It's very non-linear and scary. If anybody here wants to play Bioshock on their PC but can't run it (or hates the copy-protection raping of your PC) just find a copy of System Shock 2 gold. Your pc should run that just fine and the graphics look as good as Half-Life 1. (well,.. there are some XP compatibility issues to deal with. You'll need to find the XP-patch for SS2. Plus if you have a newer video card you'll have to add some new lines to a cfg file with notepad. And if you have a dual-core processor you'll have to google a solution for making the game only use one core. But it's worth it.)