Howdy neighbors!

Discuss any other topics here
creeper

Post by creeper »

I always seem to join forums that are empty of activity. oh well.

I have not even downloaded RF and all the other files yet. I'll do that this weekend. I'm still doing research on what problems to expect and to see what the engine is capable of. I've got some sketchy ideas already of my first game.

By the way,.. I'm only trying to make games for the fun of making my own game. For years I was a big comic book fan and I have made many comic books and honed that craft(also played games since I was 3 or 4),.. but now I like videogames more. I'm good at writing and drawing and have had game ideas for many years and I'm now trying to make my game ideas real.

I don't have any desire to be in the games industry or make any money from my games.
ZenBudha

Post by ZenBudha »

Well I've been around the block and worked with a couple of dozen different free engines, and a few commercial engines. There is no perfect game engine all of them require fiddling, and work arounds.

However RF is by far still the easiest to use engine out there.
Fear not the textures for the almighty stylus is with thee - Book of Zen
Agentarrow

Post by Agentarrow »

I agree. RF is easy simply because Genesis3D is easy. Although it is better than G3D in my personal oppinion. I've seen a lot of comercial engines, running from $1000 to $10000 and none of them could stand up to RF, and none of the ones I saw was even as powerful as RF. :D So great work DEV team!!!!! :D :D :D
AgentArrow Home
The greater good is but a point of view...
creeper

Post by creeper »

Agentarrow wrote:I agree. RF is easy simply because Genesis3D is easy. Although it is better than G3D in my personal oppinion. I've seen a lot of comercial engines, running from $1000 to $10000 and none of them could stand up to RF, and none of the ones I saw was even as powerful as RF. :D So great work DEV team!!!!! :D :D :D
I haven't seen many examples of what can be done with RF except for the screenshots of the guy walking through the mansion to show off the dynamic lighting in the links on the main page. Is there a shining example of RF being pushed to its limits?
Agentarrow

Post by Agentarrow »

dont look at me, My test program is busted, I've been trying to fix it, but it just gets worse and eventually to the point where it freezes up, so I gave upOn that. I'll try re-installing it. That might work.
AgentArrow Home
darksmaster923

Post by darksmaster923 »

Agentarrow wrote:I agree. RF is easy simply because Genesis3D is easy. Although it is better than G3D in my personal oppinion. I've seen a lot of comercial engines, running from $1000 to $10000 and none of them could stand up to RF, and none of the ones I saw was even as powerful as RF. :D So great work DEV team!!!!! :D :D :D
not even as powerful as rf???????????????????????????
Herp derp.
scott

Post by scott »

look at unreal engine, you can mod the actual engine, with this engine you can actualy change anything not just the scripts so yea more powerful.
*GD*
paradoxnj
RF2 Dev Team

Post by paradoxnj »

I agree. RF is easy simply because Genesis3D is easy. Although it is better than G3D in my personal oppinion.
Uh...RF is a Game Shell written using Genesis 3D. So...it is Genesis 3D underneath.
I've seen a lot of comercial engines, running from $1000 to $10000 and none of them could stand up to RF, and none of the ones I saw was even as powerful as RF. So great work DEV team!!!!!
What commercial engines are these? Torque is $150 and blows RF out of the water "power"-wise. The Quake 3 engine is free and is more powerful that RF. It may not be as flexible, but is definitely more powerful. There are many variations of the Quake 3 engine that have modernized it also. Check out XReal. TruVision is also better than RF as is LawMaker.

I'm not saying that RF sucks, I like it. I've been around it since it was first written. It's just not as powerful as you think. It has power, but there are other things that have more.
Agentarrow

Post by Agentarrow »

I don't know if "powerful" is the right word, Anyway, all the commercial Engines I saw weren't even close. That's better. I guess flexible is also a good word.
AgentArrow Home
darksmaster923

Post by darksmaster923 »

Agentarrow wrote:I don't know if "powerful" is the right word, Anyway, all the commercial Engines I saw weren't even close. That's better. I guess flexible is also a good word.
rf is more flexible than a comerical engine? i think not.
Herp derp.
creeper

Post by creeper »

RF may not have the power or flexability of a commercial engine,.. but I doubt most of us here would be able to make a game with a commercial engine because they require programming.

RF is a very powerful and flexable engine for non-programmers. So compare RF with other "engines for noobs" and it comes out on top. FPScreator may have built in physics(no ragdolls) and directX9 support,.. but it's restricted to FPS only and the maps can only be square sections(like in the original wolfenstien 3d. Not even as complex as Doom or Quake.)

RF can have vehicles,.. although maybe not like getting in/out of them like in UT2004, Halo, or GTA. FPScreator can't have any vehicle control at all. You can't even have a 3rd person view at all,.. or camera control. PLus the scripting is extremely limited and it makes for horrible enemy AI. (entities in FPScreator can't even "see" each other or damage/kill eachother.)

I own FPSCreator and it's okay for just playing around with but you can't make anything that even YOU would want to play.
paradoxnj
RF2 Dev Team

Post by paradoxnj »

Guys...scripting is programming. RF is not a "no programming required" game engine. The correct statement would be "no C++ programming required". Whether you believe it or not, if you have written your own script for RF, you are programming.

There is no such thing as an engine for noobs. You don't realize it, but you are modding. You can use the Unreal Engine 2 by just purchasing a copy of Unreal Tournament 2004 (or 2003 if you are light on cash). You can learn UnrealScript, make a few mods, do a total conversion and achieve the same thing you can with RF using a professional toolkit (UnrealEd).

The problem with engines advertising that "no programming is required" is that people like yourselves are drawn to it making you think that game programming is easy. Contrary to popular belief...it's not. To get my job I had to go through 4 years of college, work freelance to build a portfolio, and answer the age-old question that every company asks..."Why should I hire you".

You are not learning anything about game development by using engines like RF or FPS Creator. I shouldn't say "anything" you are learning modelling and level design, but you are not learning WHY and HOW they work. What you guys should be doing is learning C++ and helping AndyCR out with various tasks (easy or hard) related to RF2. That is how things get done quicker, give back to the community and learn more about game development. There are tons of documents on the web that can help you.

What I am trying to say is, it's not as important to make a game as it is to know how the underlying technology of the game works. If you are planning to do this as a career, ask yourself this question: "Would companies like EA, Blizzard, Ubisoft or Take2 hire me over someone with a 4 year degree and lots of technical knowledge?" If your answer is no, you have a lot of work to do. :)
creeper

Post by creeper »

paradoxnj wrote: What I am trying to say is, it's not as important to make a game as it is to know how the underlying technology of the game works. If you are planning to do this as a career, ask yourself this question: "Would companies like EA, Blizzard, Ubisoft or Take2 hire me over someone with a 4 year degree and lots of technical knowledge?" If your answer is no, you have a lot of work to do. :)

How many people here do you think are using RF as a springboard to get started in the games industry? I have the assumption that the majority of people using RF and on the boards just want to make games for fun. I have NO desire to be in the games industry. I'm doing this for fun. For years I made my own comic books because I liked comics so much and wanted to put my own ideas in that form,.. and now I want to do games the same way. RF is a platform for people who don't want to go to college for 4-8 years in various programming languages and advanced math just to make a primitive fps/rpg/action game for their own expression.

Homebrew game development is an emerging hobby and people are looking for tools that can enable the individual (or group of friends) to make something in their spare time for the fun of creation in the interactive medium. I feel that RF is suitable more to that purpose.
zany_001

Post by zany_001 »

when you say we should help AndyCR, i would but i would need to be told what tasks to do, and im still a n00b to C++, so they would have to be easy.

***EDIT***
Ive thought of a better idea.I could model for the RF2 demo. :) watcha all think?
Once I was sad, and I stopped being sad and was awesome instead.
True story.
paradoxnj
RF2 Dev Team

Post by paradoxnj »

How many people here do you think are using RF as a springboard to get started in the games industry? I have the assumption that the majority of people using RF and on the boards just want to make games for fun. I have NO desire to be in the games industry. I'm doing this for fun. For years I made my own comic books because I liked comics so much and wanted to put my own ideas in that form,.. and now I want to do games the same way. RF is a platform for people who don't want to go to college for 4-8 years in various programming languages and advanced math just to make a primitive fps/rpg/action game for their own expression.
Either way...isn't it better to know how things work even if it's a hobby? That's like playing baseball and not knowing how to play properly. You can get hurt. ;)
when you say we should help AndyCR, i would but i would need to be told what tasks to do, and im still a n00b to C++, so they would have to be easy.
The sentence stated that you should learn C++ and help Andy. I'm sure there are easy little tasks that can passed off such as a string parser or some math helpers.
Last edited by paradoxnj on Mon Sep 10, 2007 2:48 am, edited 1 time in total.