A good C++ compiler

Discuss any other topics here
Agentarrow

A good C++ compiler

Post by Agentarrow »

Does anyone know a good C++ compiler? I'm starting to learn C++ but Don't have a compiler. Does anyone suggest where to get a good compiler and how much it is so I can guage what I want.
AgentArrow Home
The greater good is but a point of view...
paradoxnj
RF2 Dev Team

Post by paradoxnj »

Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Express. It's free.
LtForce

Post by LtForce »

For a starting programmer Visual C++ is way too much. Start with Dev-C++ compiler
Lithuanians for Georgia!
AndyCR

Post by AndyCR »

I wouldn't say it's too much. I would say, however, that DC++ does a terrible job of handling tabbing.
paradoxnj
RF2 Dev Team

Post by paradoxnj »

If you want to learn Windows development, then Visual C++ is the way to go. Dev C++ follows *nix standards. If you are planning to do any development on a Windows platform, I suggest you use VC++ Express then graduate to VC++ Standard when you are ready.
AndyCR

Post by AndyCR »

Well, the compiler Dev-C++ uses (MinGW) is indeed based on a UNIX compiler, but it does anything major Visual C++ does in terms of Windows development (minus, of course, .NET and MFC). I use it for RF2 development (due to its ability to do parallel compiles).
paradoxnj
RF2 Dev Team

Post by paradoxnj »

MingGW is cool but it's a different scenario for you. You want to be cross platform with RF2. He needs to learn one platform at a time. IMHO, Linux/Unix is more difficult to program for than Windows is as it follows strict ISO standards. .NET is what everything is about these days. It's good to learn.

FYI - MinGW has a .NET implementation that was written by Novell. It's called Mono. Ready for a shock....it's fully endorsed by Microsoft. :)
Agentarrow

Post by Agentarrow »

Umm, thanks. I'm learning from my dad and a visual C++ textbook he got last year.
AgentArrow Home
The greater good is but a point of view...
SithMaster

Post by SithMaster »

I might have an intro version that i can distribute let me check and get back to you.
The brightest light casts the darkest shadow.
Burn the heretic. Kill the mutant. Purge the unclean.
AndyCR

Post by AndyCR »

paradoxnj wrote:MingGW is cool but it's a different scenario for you. You want to be cross platform with RF2. He needs to learn one platform at a time. IMHO, Linux/Unix is more difficult to program for than Windows is as it follows strict ISO standards. .NET is what everything is about these days. It's good to learn.

FYI - MinGW has a .NET implementation that was written by Novell. It's called Mono. Ready for a shock....it's fully endorsed by Microsoft. :)
Yeah, I don't have a problem with the Windows/specific parts since I make sure I don't use them.

Last I heard Microsoft wasn't very happy about Mono. Must have changed since the Novell deal.