Need help to get mp3 files to play.

Discuss any other topics here
RobRoy

Need help to get mp3 files to play.

Post by RobRoy »

Hi all, I've not been using RF for a while but back into it now, one question...............can .mp3 files be used, I can never seem to get them to work, I don't have any trouble with .wav files, I'm using RF Edit.Pro and the computer I'm using can play mp3 files, I'm using the latest version RF075A with the RF075C update, even with earlier versions I could never get mp3's to work.
QuestOfDreams
Site Admin

Post by QuestOfDreams »

mp3 should work fine but you may consider using ogg instead.
RobRoy

Post by RobRoy »

Any idea why I can't get mp3's to work, for instance, I put an AudioSouce3D in a level with a wav. file and it always works perfectly, do the same with a mp3 and don't get any sound at all, tried on other computers too, using XP.
RobRoy

Post by RobRoy »

I made an ogg file using freerip3 and added the codecs to windows media player so it would play ogg files but they won't play in RF either, media player will play the ogg file but I can't get mp3 or ogg files to play in RF, does one have to do anything different to play these compressed files ?????
jonas

Post by jonas »

just curious what is your bitrate? If I remember right there is a couple of bitrates Realityfactory can't handle.
Jonas

Focused, hard work is the real key to success. Keep your eyes on the goal, and just keep taking the next step towards completing it. If you aren't sure which way to do something, do it both ways and see which works better. - John Carmack
bernie
RF Moderator

Post by bernie »

If you want to sell your game commercially you could have problems with mp3 as the format is copyrighted and the owners will want paying :roll: you're best sticking with wav or ogg files.
RobRoy

Post by RobRoy »

Thanks for the suggestions...........I'm trying Audacity at the moment, still with no success, have tried various bitrates....8000, 32000, 44100, 96000, also different sample formats, 16,24,32.
I can save as mp3 or ogg but these won't play in RF, wav files will play. I'm testing with just a hollow box and using an AudioSouce3d, doing everything as I would with a wav file, do you have to do anything different or have to configure RF in anyway, in the log I get these messages but filenames are correct and files are in audio folder.
What am I doing wrong !!!!!!!!

*WARNING* File .\SPool.cpp - Line 89: Unable to load file, invalid path or filename: m2.mp3
*WARNING* File .\SPool.cpp - Line 89: Unable to load file, invalid path or filename: m2.mp3
*WARNING* File .\C3DAudioSource.cpp - Line 116: Failed to open audio file 'm2.mp3'

*WARNING* File .\SPool.cpp - Line 89: Unable to load file, invalid path or filename: m2.ogg
*WARNING* File .\SPool.cpp - Line 89: Unable to load file, invalid path or filename: m2.ogg
*WARNING* File .\C3DAudioSource.cpp - Line 116: Failed to open audio file 'm2.ogg' :?