Newton Dynamic Physics Integration

Programming Reality Factory and Genesis3D.
federico
RF Dev Team

Post by federico »

Yes I agree. Julio in the newton forums nicely suggest me to try again with the offset matrix (my past tries were a failure). Anyway today I was quite tired because of my work, so I switched to something funnier.

Someone talked about EXPLOSIONS?!!?!?!?!!!#sfsdf@@@!!!!??
:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Video:

@fps
Right now I'm using actors centered in modeler origin but I'm working to have the standard genesis actors (that is: over the origin) work in the right way.
Don't break your mind about the genesis modification: in the release will be all the needed. It's an information for developpers. All RF is based on Genesis3d library. Change the base library must be done with extreme caution, that's why I wasn't happy about this extreme decision.
fps
Location: in a magical land devoid of hope, happiness, and sanity.

Post by fps »

:!: :!: :!: :shock: :!: :!: :!:
...........................................................................................................
...........................................................................................................
......................................... speechless.

simply awsome! i dont know what to say.
i am sure i'll think of somthing to say eventually but for now... GREAT WORK. i am truely awestruck.

thanks,
fps
MakerOfGames

Post by MakerOfGames »

That's amazing!!!! Great work!
Think outside the box.
To go on an adventure, one must discard the comforts and safety of the known and trusted.
federico
RF Dev Team

Post by federico »

Today I solved the pivot issue. Now the PhysicsRigidBody entity supports offseting the newton Bounding Box, letting you export the actors out of your favourite modelerer as usual, positioning them above the origin.
I also generalized the commands for place and activate the ragdoll. Tomorrow I can work on some commands and options.
:wink:
AndyCR

Post by AndyCR »

Excellent job! :)
steven8

Post by steven8 »

federico. . .you are a God!! Fan - f'ing - tastic!!!
Steve Dilworth - Resisting change since 1965!
Jay
RF Dev Team

Post by Jay »

cool. :shock: But, let's say i made a box that is somewhow made of 6 actors that are bounded together by the physics engine. And if i then directly shoot at it and the ''force' is strong enough, could the physics engine seperate them and KAABOOOOM they all fly into different directions? Would this be possible?

Anyways keep the good work up!
Everyone can see the difficult, but only the wise can see the simple.
-----
federico
RF Dev Team

Post by federico »

Yes, it' s possible for sure, but I don't know if I will implement it right now. There are dozens and dozens of cool features in this engine, and a total integration it's not possible. Vehicles, for example: right now I can't bear the burden of develop a such difficult thing by myself. Besides the fact that all the RF users want vehicles, but finished RF games with vehicles are not expected right now (with this indoor engine). I think I would be the only one really willing to create a such game (so it's still possible though...).
Breakable joints is a more common feature and also I would love to see something like that.

Let's also say that this is a mid-integration, because the genesis collision routine is still in place. Rewrite all the collision system for all the entities and the world would be too hard for me. The first release is closer. Here's my todo:

Release 1.
- Finish the ragdoll entity.
- Create a Joint Entity.
- Create a NewtonCapsuleEntity for RF entities that don't share a newton body. It's a generalization of the player integration I show some post before. In this way you can add an invisible collision "follower" for pawns.
- Polish, Docs, Tuts. Very simple and basic.

Release 2.
- Physics script. It doesn't show any trouble except the time of rewriting some of the Nout's commands.

I think I could Relase1 in two-three weeks.

Federico
fps

Post by fps »

how do the ragdolls work here.
car you just take an actor and make it go into ragdoll mode.
i know you were talking about that ealrier.
also can you still use that break join command. i liked that demo were the car would rebuild itself. that was cool.

thanks,
fps
federico
RF Dev Team

Post by federico »

Ragdoll entity doesn't work with any skeleton. I made ragdolls using two skeleton types: Farcry and Half-Life2. several reasons for this choice:

1) You can download the demos and get tons of animations.
2) Every skeleton needs different rotation parameters.

so virgil (at least: his skeleton) should go to bed this time. Is there someone willing to help? I can provide the actor SDK (skeleton, animations, MS3d and SMD sources) for a virgil restyle (change of the skeleton, re-compile keeping the animation names...). Please, I need help on this task to focus on development.
If someone wants to create some content for the demo - bugtesting at the same time - I would be very happy.

The joint entity is not ready. Right now I don't know if there will be breakable joints. I have to see how difficult is to implement the break callback...

Video:
The orange actor is from farcry, the other one is grigori from HL2. Still the farcry skeleton works better...
Juutis

Post by Juutis »

Sweet work!!
2) Every skeleton needs different rotation parameters.
Would it be possible to add, for example, a new .ini file where you could define these rotation parameters and use your own skeleton? In the future, perhaps? I'm just asking because people may want to use the ragdoll feature on something else than human beings, too. Like animals and monsters that don't have the human anatomy.

I'd love to create some content for the demo. Just tell me what you need and I'll see what I can do. :)
Pain is only psychological.
fps

Post by fps »

is there a way to add the properties of revamped models from the origional half life game. because that is what i am using and i sort of have a large library of models and animations going right now. i dont think there is an easy way to convert skeletons from one model to another because ive tried with little sucess.
Could you pack me a test model with animations so i could look at it and decide if i should move on to newer models or try to change my skeletons?
i have a large amount of work to do either way.
do you think i could send you a model with the skeleton i am using and you could add it to the code?
mabey the half life 1 and 2 skeletons are similar enough that there will be very little required modification.

i just thought of somthing. if we hat that rotate bone command we could make moving moulths for talking if there is a moulth bone in your skeleton like in some of the models ive seen. but mostly ive been deleting them as i convert because they didnt match my p_ weapon models or other animation sets.
kikosmalltalk

Post by kikosmalltalk »

Hi Federic

You wrote:
Today I solved the pivot issue

Could you explain as it got it?

Kiko
kikosmalltalk

Post by kikosmalltalk »

Hi Federic

In the demo, what dimensions do they have the objects?

Kiko
fps

Post by fps »

just so you know. i am holding my breath untill this comes out. :shock: :oops: :shock:

so let me get this straight. with these ragdolls we wont have to break the model into a load of different pieces to make the ragdoll up. we just use like a script command to make the thing go ragdoll mode?
one more question.
will we be able to match the ragdoll to the pawns bone position like last time, so it flows smoothly?
that would be soo cool.

Thanks,
fps