First FreeVector Game

Discuss any other topics here
Pickles

First FreeVector Game

Post by Pickles »

http://www.bookshock.com/xvidtrailer01.avi

(Requires Xvid codec)

Here is the Trailer (without audio) for the first game to be released using FreeVector. I would compare it to Sons of Mars, if anyone remembers that. I know, I know, the videos on the side look terribly, terribly slow. That is because the trailer was made in FLash and I (like an idiot) used a 12 fps setting. I should have made it 30 fps. The general consensus though is to 'not worry about it.' Anyways, all the levels (4) were built in RF and then exported to the engine. It supports:

Per pixel lighting
A dynamic and endless terrain system
Bumpmapping for skinned meshes
No vertex locking at runtime
Automatic LOD.
Super simple scripting language.
Built in combat AI
Easy to use physics.
Dynamic scriptable HUD.
Scriptable menu system. build any menu with just 5 commands.
Scripted fixed funtion interface
Advanced particle system.
Full control over the renderer using FX files. This game has bump mapping, shadow mapping, pp lighting, environment mappping, glare and glow. (I'd love to remake Op Spyrewolf using true Cel shading and a B&W cross hatched game of some sort.)
No compiler required. (Just like RF)
Mulitple control schemes including dual shock analog controller.

This version only makes first person shooters the next version will be for driving games (since those are most popular) first I'll make a few more first person shooters before I release them. Because FreeVector was modeled after RF, it makes games super fast as well.

The plan is to sell the games for a very modest price, under $10, and sell a book that describes step by step how to mod the games. Sort of like the Valve model, but allowing the user to use there own selection of tools.

Anyways, the release date is now less then 90 days away so keep your eyes open. Here is a next gen engine that costs less then $10 and needs no compiling. I'll see you all in another 3 months with Planet Jammer, Kumajutsu and Operation SpyerWolf.

Cheers
LtForce

Post by LtForce »

Those screens look horrible. Sorry for a bad comment but that's how it looks
Lithuanians for Georgia!
scott

Post by scott »

i agree, really not as good as i was expecting/hoping/thinking, im not saying the engine is at fault hear but the artist who made the game, ok im not expecting micals however there is room for ALOT of improvment, it is possible to get more out of RF than what thos screens showed, get a full screen game video at 30fps and it may look better however the main thing that i saw straight away was one of the weapons, cmon at least get free weapons from turbosquid, the free ones can look better than that. im not at a profecional level yet however if i was to compare my work to that i would say i already produce better quality. im sorry but thats just how i feel about it. unless you want me to lie.
*GD*
Juutis

Post by Juutis »

The list of features and other stuff I've heard about the engine sound great. I gotta agree with scott and LtForce though. The video doesn't do the engine justice.
Here is a next gen engine that costs less then $10 and needs no compiling
So you're selling the engine for less than $10? If I bought it could I make as many games with it as I want?
It sure sounds promising enough that I might buy it. :)
Pain is only psychological.
Pickles

Post by Pickles »

>>it is possible to get more out of RF than what thos screens showed<<

Never. RF doesn't have shadow mapping or per pixel lighting. But that turbosquid idea is pretty good! All the models I used are from DarkMatter2. Low poly and bad textures. But it still gives you an idea of how the game plays. 1024 x 768 screenshots will show off the engine. The parallax mapping and dynamic per pixel lighting, all the things, you can't see in a video resized from 640 x 480 to 160 x 120.

>>If I bought it could I make as many games with it as I want?<<

You can make as many games as you like. You can sell them for whatever price you like. You can do whatever you please as long as you don't make an engine with it (obviously) or use the media from someone elses game. You can use your own splash screens, whatever. The only thing is that you'd have to by a game that suits the genre of the game you're making.

Thanks for the feedback it was great.
federico
RF Dev Team

Post by federico »

please Pickles, amico mio, post some other screen: I'm so curious. :D

I have some ideas, could you please PM me an email to contact you?
Pickles

Post by Pickles »

I'll post screens of Kumajuso. That game has tonnes of foliage and much better bumpmapping for the models. Also nicer gun models and what not. I'll post them in a few weeks.
Destron

Post by Destron »

Don't mean to be rude, but if this is a next-gen engine, then why does it look like it's from the 90s?
Pickles

Post by Pickles »

>>why does it look like it's from the 90s<<

I don't know what kind of stupid question that is, but what's obvious is that you have no clue what next gen means. IT USES THE PROGRAMMABLE PIPELINE. Do you know what that is?
Pickles

Post by Pickles »

Here are bigger screenshots. You can see exactly how low poly the models are. I made a large video but it's 20 megs. That's too big for me to distribute.

AndyCR

Post by AndyCR »

You can host good-quality videos at http://www.veoh.com for free.
Destron

Post by Destron »

Pickles wrote:>>why does it look like it's from the 90s<<

I don't know what kind of stupid question that is, but what's obvious is that you have no clue what next gen means. IT USES THE PROGRAMMABLE PIPELINE. Do you know what that is?
Next-gen isn't a technology, it's just a buzz-word for the "new technology" games that are coming out. There's a lot of speculation about what it actually means, and nobody really knows for sure. some people say it's graphics, some people says it's physics, some people say it's AI... others say it's overall gameplay. I forget who coined the term, but I'm sure a quick Google search will turn something up.
My point is that even though the engine may be powerful, most people aren't going to bother looking at it very closely because your samples don't really show off what it can do.

Oh, and programmable pipelines have to do with lighting and shaders.
Sure, lighting and shaders are a part of game engines, but heck, that's not all there is. :roll:
steven8

Post by steven8 »

Pickles wrote:>>why does it look like it's from the 90s<<

Pickles, please refrain from name calling on this forum. It will NOT be tolerated. I will remove threads if it happens again.

There is nothing wrong with not liking something someone says, but there are better ways to deal with it.

Thanks.
Steve Dilworth - Resisting change since 1965!
Destron

Post by Destron »

lol, that's not really name calling...

Oh, and Pickles... check out this video.

http://www.igda-sandiego.org/web/2007/0 ... -gen-game/

If they're going to form a whole 2-hour panel meeting over what 6 seasoned game professionals think 'next-gen' is, then obviously there's some controversy over what the term means.
Pickles

Post by Pickles »

>>a buzz-word for the "new technology"<<

Yeah, new graphics card technology. There's nothing confusing about it at all. I go to my own IGDA meetings, btw.

And Steven8, go ahead and lock the thread, add the word moderator to your name and all of a sudden you're joe cop of the forum. Whatever!

I got good feedback from the first few except for the under 16 year olds but now I 'm just getting ignorance poured at me. Whatever, when you people are ready to make games you can sell, then come find me. In, the meantime, I'll be making and selling games.

Later