Anger: This forums flu?

Discuss any other topics here
ardentcrest

Post by ardentcrest »

darksmaster923 wrote: ardencrest told me off for flaming like that.
If I did, sorry about that. It must have been my wifes time of the month :oops:

If I get it in the neck from her. Well you know how women can pis* you off.
He's a Bot Jim, But not as we know It.
Agentarrow

Post by Agentarrow »

im lucky, too young for a commitment. Theres only a few women that tick me off, but hey. Actually, I'm only 14, so I'm WAAAAAAAAAAYYY too young for a commitment, I don't even have my first girlfriend yet... Last year I fell madly in love with a girl I couldn't ever have a relationship with... but so is life.
AgentArrow Home
The greater good is but a point of view...
zany_001

Post by zany_001 »

i tryed to patch things up because the main reason ppl were giving negative comments was because of Pickles's models, so i volunteered to give some models. Some advice my dad gave me was to take criticism carefully, and to weigh up wether it is true or not. If it is, dont get ticked off, try and fix that problem. If it isnt true, then just dont listen to it, dont reply, just accept that some ppl will not like you, or your achievements.
Once I was sad, and I stopped being sad and was awesome instead.
True story.
bernie
RF Moderator

Post by bernie »

That sounds like excelent advice Zany. Something we should all think about at times.
Destron

Post by Destron »

bernie wrote:That sounds like excelent advice Zany. Something we should all think about at times.
Agree.
AndyCR

Post by AndyCR »

I agree, but he doesn't seem to know how to handle constructive criticism. His models were crap - even he admitted that, if I am not mistaken. However, instead of being understanding and simply saying "The engine isn't bad, it's just the art" he resorted to meaningless personal attacks when nobody had attacked him personally up to that point.

Do I know whether his engine is any good? No. I haven't used it and the screenshots I have seen showed only the engine itself and not the tools, with ugly models to boot. Do I know that he reacted inappropriately and immaturely by countering constructive criticism with ad hominem attacks? Yes.
Agentarrow

Post by Agentarrow »

this seems to be becoming an angry thread about one specific user. This was supposed to find out ways to stop anger, not generate more.
AgentArrow Home
The greater good is but a point of view...
SithMaster

Post by SithMaster »

There is one solution. Basically we find a way to force people to be happy and nice with a drug that eventually has the ironic effect of making people become aggressive. We shall call it rage.

Seriously though its probably just life bringing people down and they take it out here.

edit-okay i just read over the locked thread and all i can say is wow. Seems odd how low his post count was though (for some reason i thought it was higher) but in any case that was uncalled for.

So lets break this down to two elements:
Criticism-This can be averted if you just dont post things where others can see them.

Questions-If its been asked before i can understand getting a little mad because someone doesnt want to research. However everyone was new once so maybe just a friendly use the search feature to find a answer.
The brightest light casts the darkest shadow.
Burn the heretic. Kill the mutant. Purge the unclean.
darksmaster923

Post by darksmaster923 »

SithMaster wrote:There is one solution. Basically we find a way to force people to be happy and nice with a drug that eventually has the ironic effect of making people become aggressive. We shall call it rage.

Seriously though its probably just life bringing people down and they take it out here.

edit-okay i just read over the locked thread and all i can say is wow. Seems odd how low his post count was though (for some reason i thought it was higher) but in any case that was uncalled for.

Criticism-This can be averted if you just dont post things where others can see them.

Questions-If its been asked before i can understand getting a little mad because someone doesnt want to research. However everyone was new once so maybe just a friendly use the search feature to find a answer.
drugs are bad for you. dont take em.
Herp derp.
SithMaster

Post by SithMaster »

darksmaster923 wrote:
SithMaster wrote:There is one solution. Basically we find a way to force people to be happy and nice with a drug that eventually has the ironic effect of making people become aggressive. We shall call it rage.

drugs are bad for you. dont take em.
Lol. Just wanted to throw the idea out there that try as we might human nature cannot be changed. At least not without side effects. This one was from 28 Weeks Later (actually the graphic novel were we learn the origins of rage). Then there is the plot for Serenity (Firefly movie).

Honestly the only anger ive seen is from dan and one thread where someone snapped at a new user i think. the best way to avoid this is if you dont have something helpful to say dont say anything at all.
steven8

Post by steven8 »

SithMaster wrote:the best way to avoid this is if you dont have something helpful to say dont say anything at all.
I agree with that entirely. Constructive criticism is different, and people need to learn the difference.
Steve Dilworth - Resisting change since 1965!
Morgan Ramsay

Post by Morgan Ramsay »

SithMaster wrote:There is one solution. Basically we find a way to force people to be happy and nice with a drug ...
The comedy troupe Kids in the Hall explored that solution in Brain Candy. The "happy pill", although effective, had the unfortunate side effect of causing users to enter a comatose state.
SithMaster

Post by SithMaster »

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 12:27 pm Post subject:
SithMaster wrote:
There is one solution. Basically we find a way to force people to be happy and nice with a drug ...

The comedy troupe Kids in the Hall explored that solution in Brain Candy. The "happy pill", although effective, had the unfortunate side effect of causing users to enter a comatose state.
Reminds me of the clockwork orange if i remember it right.
paradoxnj
RF2 Dev Team

Post by paradoxnj »

steven8 wrote:
SithMaster wrote:the best way to avoid this is if you dont have something helpful to say dont say anything at all.
I agree with that entirely. Constructive criticism is different, and people need to learn the difference.
If something is not right, leave it alone? If we have an opinion, keep it to ourselves? How does the person learn anything that way. Pickles obviously was looking for an opinion but when that opinion was negative, he went in defensive mode. Saying "that looks great" would have been a lie and would have solved nothing. If Pickles did not receive a response, he would have just kept poking and poking until he got one. This sounds like a problem with the individual and not the community.

If someone makes their first game, and there are blatant problems with it, by not telling them, they would have no idea what is wrong. Saying "that's excellent" makes them think they did everything right when they actually didn't. There is a tactful way to do this though. Something like "that is great, but you have to consider the following:". Constructive criticism is what makes people work harder.
steven8

Post by steven8 »

paradoxnj wrote:
steven8 wrote:
If something is not right, leave it alone? If we have an opinion, keep it to ourselves? How does the person learn anything that way. Pickles obviously was looking for an opinion but when that opinion was negative, he went in defensive mode. Saying "that looks great" would have been a lie and would have solved nothing. If Pickles did not receive a response, he would have just kept poking and poking until he got one. This sounds like a problem with the individual and not the community.

If someone makes their first game, and there are blatant problems with it, by not telling them, they would have no idea what is wrong. Saying "that's excellent" makes them think they did everything right when they actually didn't. There is a tactful way to do this though. Something like "that is great, but you have to consider the following:". Constructive criticism is what makes people work harder.
No. I meant the person receiving the criticism needs to learn the difference. IE: Pickles, in particular. Yes, the way criticism is worded can also make a difference. Dude, that sucks, is not good criticism. Everyone needs to think through what they are saying, specifically remembering that we are not face to face. It is sometimes very hard to convey our exact feelings when it's only in writing.
Steve Dilworth - Resisting change since 1965!