Moving thru terrain

Post topics regarding Level Building/Design and Entity Usage with Reality Factory
switch

Moving thru terrain

Post by switch »

I made a terrain in nems terrain generator and then converted to .bdy in MS, used actorstudio to put it in .act format, then I fitted the terrain in room or map whatever you like to refer to it as, and it looked good in editor.

But when I compiled and then went into game I was walking right thru my humppy terrain instead of over, my question based on this problem is what attributes should the staticentityproxy have or the .act file I used for the terrain? Hopefully with all the experts residing here on RF forums I will soon be on top of things........................
bernie
RF Moderator

Re: Moving thru terrain

Post by bernie »

Put the terrain .act file in as a StaticMesh and set ColCheckLevel to 2.
switch

Post by switch »

Yea thanks that worked.

Next thing is I dragged in a bitmap in rfpack and saved it to \media\levels and when I opened editor back up it was the only texture I had in selection of textures, thats what the FAQ said to do. I reinstalled RF over RF and got the others back but before I did I deleted my texture I saved. Can you only do that if you open up a 3dt you have made and saved?

Basically I have saved paths for textures in actorstudio while making .bdy into actors and then even put the bitmap in bitmap folders like the presets and I still don't see my textures (is there an attribute to set?), I had been making staticentityproxies for 3dobjects is that a reason and then what about this terrain I just made how am I going to get that textured, I did map it and texture it and then put that on in equity and it wasn't any good basically it had like a mere slight shade of a pixel and I'm not kidding that was about it.

So if you can help me with this texture project I would appr. it.
bernie
RF Moderator

Post by bernie »

Next thing is I dragged in a bitmap in rfpack and saved it to \media\levels and when I opened editor back up it was the only texture I had in selection of textures, thats what the FAQ said to do. I reinstalled RF over RF and got the others back but before I did I deleted my texture I saved. Can you only do that if you open up a 3dt you have made and saved?
The easiet way to add a texture to you txl file is to open it in the new beta release of equity 4.2.2beta (Download it from here: http://hosted.filefront.com/hgtterry) go to tools/texture library and open you existing file press add and select your new bitmap or tga file and save.
Job done
I did map it and texture it and then put that on in equity and it wasn't any good basically it had like a mere slight shade of a pixel and I'm not kidding that was about it.
Did you map it and texture it in MS ? You need to do that because nems doesn't save the textures. You should be able to see your textured model in MS before you create your .bdy file. The textures should be in the same folder as the .bdy file you create from MS when building the actor in AStudio.
switch

Post by switch »

K thanks bernie, I don't have a problem with Equity I see how it functions and it would do its job, I think whats happening is MS is not saving the texture I assigned in it and I did see the texture in the texture edit window in MS so you know its probably ok, but the 3d window in MS I can't see the terrain its too big in and probably out of aligment for the window,,, in Nems I made it the standard 32x32 as a tutorial suggested,, I had too scale down to .10 in RF to get it in standard size room. But I'd bet the texture was put on in MS but it is not there in the folder of RF where I saved the bdy file which was in tools. Is it MS it was a recommended as a great tool for RF thought my textures were going along, what you told me was what I thought it should be, are there incidences where MS is not working?

What about rfpacker thing I asked about in last post?

Also if the size of the model is scaled in RF after the model is textured in MS as thats what I have and thats what has to be done for texturing process does Rf reset size of texture or will it remain the larger size as in my situation I had to scale my model down?

Thats if I ever get any textures on anythings.............................
bernie
RF Moderator

Post by bernie »

Are you using .bmp textures in MS if not ms won't build them in the .bdy file, and the textures you have to put in the same directory as the bdy file yourself MS doesn't do that for you.
You don't need to use rf packer at all. Equity will do the job perfectly well.
switch

Post by switch »

Well if I understand the texture process correct, when you assign the bitmap in MS to your object and save as a .bdy file it has the texture coordinates, then if you copy that same texture to the tools folder you use it when you build your actor in the path tabs as your material,,,at least thats how I understand it. And if thats correct all you have to do is copy your new actor file to the actor folder and insert it in as a static mesh or entityproxy either one and that will provide the material texture on the object? Is that all?

And you can change material or texture with equity thats not to hard to do there I don't know how well it maps but I'll probably see eventually
bernie
RF Moderator

Post by bernie »

Posted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 4:56 am

Well if I understand the texture process correct, when you assign the bitmap in MS to your object and save as a .bdy file it has the texture coordinates, then if you copy that same texture to the tools folder you use it when you build your actor in the path tabs as your material,,,at least thats how I understand it. And if thats correct all you have to do is copy your new actor file to the actor folder and insert it in as a static mesh or entityproxy either one and that will provide the material texture on the object? Is that all?
Yes that correct.

Equity does not do mapping YET (Changing the texture uses the exising map). It is in the roadmap to include a UV mapper but that may be some time yet.
switch

Post by switch »

And you can change material or texture with equity thats not to hard to do there I don't know how well it maps but I'll probably see eventually

Edit:What I should have said was you have to replace the texture material in equity or like in my case my object never got texture on it in game untill I replaced a bitmap on it with equity and then went up to the build tab in equity and clicked rebuild actor. Then and only then did I get any textures on my object I included as a staticmesh. Basically I don't see any other method that worked that I tried,is that really the only way Bernie?
bernie
RF Moderator

Post by bernie »

You only need to use Equity if you want to CHANGE your texture. When you build your actor it should have the texture in it that you put on in MS, BUT the texture you put on in MS MUST be a .bmp texture otherwise the .bdy file you create won't have a texture at all.
switch

Post by switch »

Yea thats what I was under the impression of yes but it doesn't happen at all, as I said the only way I can get a texture is rebuilding the actor with a new texture on it in Equity, apparently MS isn't doing what it should as you say at least for me, I have 1.8.0 version MS. I mean honestly I don't know I'm just struggling trying to figure out why I couldn't get textures on the statics as I was under the impression it happened from MS,build actor with texture path, make sure orginal texture used in MS was put in tools folder and copy new actor to actor folders, but no textures on object ever were there and I even copied the bitmap over to to bitmap folder from tools folder to see if that was it and it made no difference.
switch

Post by switch »

Ok I figured out what the problem was,,what the tutorial said was build your actor in actorstudio from.bdy and then open paths and just put in the location folder of your material which was C:\RealityFacory\tools and I thought the actorstudio build was seeing the file from the coordinates from the .bdy file MS made and knew how to attach the correct bitmap from that, I mean afterall it didnot say in paths tab find the location of your material which is in the tools folder where you have to have copied it too and type in this C:\RealityFactory\tools\and the precise name of your bitmap with the .bmp extension after it, so I was just taking it for granted it was doing as I said previously. You guys must think I'm a pro course I'm not stupid but I try to follow directions to new way of things and you didn't think to mention it? Well anyways its water over me dam so after a break I'll pick up sometime and I'm sure I'll be back to the forums without doubt as basically I'm just trying to get this system learned somewhat so my son and I can make some stuff and I want to look at some other things and when we get into more advanced maps and stuff we may need some help but he's pretty good with triggers and stuff so maybe we can figure it out but who knows,,,oh yea I liked the equity project incorporating mapping there would be neat also to have some editing possibilities would be cool, course it isn't to terribly hard to use external editor I spose...
switch

Post by switch »

I found a better way its better described in the manual that you find if you dig the the RFTray bar out of RF's tools folder, the best way for those that don't know since its not real described, do this , after you see it in RF tools folder it has a black arrow icon right click on it and click send to which gives you the choice send to desktop (create shortcut). Then any time you want to open that icon on your desktop it puts a icon symbol in your tray with all the features to use in RF.