Problem

Post topics regarding Level Building/Design and Entity Usage with Reality Factory
jon980

Problem

Post by jon980 »

I made a game where you start underground in a buinding and I worked my way up. However, when it came to making the outside of the building, I made a giant room to be the out side. But the ground of the giant room covered the room with the staircase and I had to use a cut brush. But the cutbrush cut the staircase too. So is there a way of making the outside without making a new room or can you make a cut brush that only cuts a wall?
Jay
RF Dev Team

Re: Problem

Post by Jay »

Please don't use cut brushes. It takes longer, but in the end it is better to build the outside room by hand - brush by brush. Using cut brushes can result in very strange artifacts in your levels - brushes that hang in the air and are not there in reality. Not using cut brushes also gives better framerates. Whenever you use a cut brush, all that is really done is that the brush that is cut is divided into samller brushes - but you cannot influence how. The level editor might do it wrong, and there might be better ways to split the geometry. Cut brushes are easy to get started with, but with big levels or big productions i would not use them. Be warned though: Doing thinghs without hollow and cut brushes will take a lot longer, but you will never have unwanted side effects.

If you still want to use a cut brush you can make the staircase the newest brush with 'N'. A cut brush only cuts everything that is older than it.
Everyone can see the difficult, but only the wise can see the simple.
-----
jon980

Post by jon980 »

Thx, I thought about that and it messed up my textures. I know what you mean about not using cut brushes, I just dont want to make a million rooms. But how would I connect rooms without a cut brush?
Last edited by jon980 on Fri Jul 11, 2008 4:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jay
RF Dev Team

Post by Jay »

You must build around the door, instead of building the door directly.

This is a screen of what i mean. http://www.pictureupload.de/pictures/08 ... 40_wip.JPG

The only problem i that it's time consuming, very time consuming.
Everyone can see the difficult, but only the wise can see the simple.
-----