Level Size

Post topics regarding Level Building/Design and Entity Usage with Reality Factory
Masta_J

Level Size

Post by Masta_J »

Hi guys.

Just wanna know, is there a way around RF's level size restriction? I have created a level at max size, and then duplicated it and put a cut brush between the two levels to join them. The level compiles with the two rooms, but when I add the cut brush, I get a "leak". I have also tried doing this with a teleporter entity which also compiles until I add the teleporttarget entity. What my aim is, is to create a game consisting of three or four really large areas/stages.
A good warrior knows his limits, but a great warrior finds his way around them.
Sph!nx

Re: Level Size

Post by Sph!nx »

Well, I believe you can make a large level, as long as you don't make it from one square brush. Another solution is to scale everything, from world to models, down to a smaller scale.

You also need to block visibility, so that the engine does not render everything in the map at once. You can do this by making your larger area from smaller areas or you can use blocked visibility with a fog effect.
Regards Sph!nx

Sven Co-op, DevEd: Development & Editing
Jay
RF Dev Team

Post by Jay »

Please do not use cut brushes and hollow brushes. If you do this, it confuses the compiler and it creates WAAAY to much leafs in the BSP-Tree. Which makes the game slower. I have tested this. Use normal brushes instead and build it all brush by brush. You can do amost everything you could do with cut brushes with normal brushes too.
Everyone can see the difficult, but only the wise can see the simple.
-----
Masta_J

Post by Masta_J »

Cool guys, thanks for the tips. Later
A good warrior knows his limits, but a great warrior finds his way around them.