3D engines

Discuss any other topics here
Juutis

Re: 3D engines

Post by Juutis »

bernie wrote:
I think I remember this engine from RF (reality factory)I thought it looked great but the community over there treats anything non-rf like scum.
I thought we were a very tollerant comunity and apreciate any good game engine.
I think that's about the little conflict between Pickles and the RF guys in his Free Vector thread. Things got out of hand a bit there.

Don't know about you guys but sometimes I take the whole "tolerant and friendly community" thing for granted... too granted. In one post I'm praising how friendly we are and in the next telling some new guys to RTFM. Dunno, I guess that makes me a hypocrite. Or something...
Pain is only psychological.
Sph!nx

Post by Sph!nx »

Lol, I noticed the same thing. I find it quite nice here :)

Anyway, that engine sure looks promising. Definitely gonna take a look at it!
Regards Sph!nx

Sven Co-op, DevEd: Development & Editing
Destron

Post by Destron »

I think that's about the little conflict between Pickles and the RF guys in his Free Vector thread. Things got out of hand a bit there.
:oops:
bernie
RF Moderator

Post by bernie »

Well I downloaded and tried Freevector. It won't run at all on my everyday pc. I ran it on my DELL XPS and I think it has possibilities but a long way to go. If I was tempted to another engine it would be to NeoAxis now that IS a kick **** engine, but then, it uses OGRE and RF2 will use OGRE. I'll stick with what I know until something very much better comes along that is as easy to use.
Juutis

Post by Juutis »

Gotta admit that I almost switched to NeoAxis a while or two ago. Good thing I didn't have the patience to learn a new engine so I stayed with RF. :)
Anyway, that engine sure looks promising. Definitely gonna take a look at it!
Yeah, it's definitely worth testing. FreeVector seems to be an excellent engine for large outdoor terrains. Especially if he keeps developing it. You can create levels in no time. The scripting language seems pretty powerful too, you can script the menus and all.
paradoxnj
RF2 Dev Team

Post by paradoxnj »

Problem with Pickles was that someone stated that his models did not show off his engine and he flipped out stating "we don't know what we are talking about". No one said his engine sucked...they merely stated that the models did not do it justice.

Personally, I don't like FreeVector. I concur with Bernie that it has a long way to go.
Many Bothans died to bring you this signature....
Destron

Post by Destron »

paradoxnj wrote:Problem with Pickles was that someone stated that his models did not show off his engine and he flipped out stating "we don't know what we are talking about". No one said his engine sucked...they merely stated that the models did not do it justice.

Personally, I don't like FreeVector. I concur with Bernie that it has a long way to go.
To this day, I still don't understand why he blew up over that. I may have worded my first comment poorly, but he was claiming that his engine was the next best thing, and if it had all of the features he said it did he was not showing off the engine to it's best ability. It's like he was looking for a bunch of "yes-men" to tell him how awesome his project was.
I'm pretty sure that when people look for a game engine, they don't just look at a spec sheet.

Ah, well. I should probably let it go. I was honestly thinking about getting FreeVector before he went on his rampage, but after the incident I decided I'd rather not support him.
steven8

Post by steven8 »

Destron wrote:
paradoxnj wrote:Problem with Pickles was that someone stated that his models did not show off his engine and he flipped out stating "we don't know what we are talking about". No one said his engine sucked...they merely stated that the models did not do it justice.

To this day, I still don't understand why he blew up over that. I may have worded my first comment poorly, but he was claiming that his engine was the next best thing, and if it had all of the features he said it did he was not showing off the engine to it's best ability. It's like he was looking for a bunch of "yes-men" to tell him how awesome his project was.
I'm pretty sure that when people look for a game engine, they don't just look at a spec sheet.

Ah, well. I should probably let it go. I was honestly thinking about getting FreeVector before he went on his rampage, but after the incident I decided I'd rather not support him.
Dan Valeo, Pickles, is an exceptionally bright young man who contributed greatly to RF and the community. Then he had a falling out with Mike (Gekido), over business dealings, and was bent on proving he was better. He came back here with that engine and wanted everyone to tell him it was better than what Mike was doing. When it didn't happen the way he wished, he went off. Dan is an edgy guy who does brilliant work. I'll never take that away from him. Oddly enough, Mike (Gekido) has suffered many of the same slings and arrows on his Beyond Virtual project, with people complaining that they have not presented the engine to it's fullest capabilities. Weird, eh?
Steve Dilworth - Resisting change since 1965!
Jay
RF Dev Team

Post by Jay »

Very interesting. This must have been several years ago, as i cannot remember clearly when Pickles last posted something about RF (I think he left before Gekido?). The only time i remeber him posting before his new engine was around the time i first logged in into the forum.... And that was a LONG time ago....

At least this clears up why he acted like that. This also clears up about the weird post about the 'First, the RF site was never hacked' (An old post that was on the forums quite some time ago, not on this fourm i believe)

@topic: we are going offtopic again....
Everyone can see the difficult, but only the wise can see the simple.
-----
paradoxnj
RF2 Dev Team

Post by paradoxnj »

Dan Valeo, Pickles, is an exceptionally bright young man who contributed greatly to RF and the community. Then he had a falling out with Mike (Gekido), over business dealings, and was bent on proving he was better. He came back here with that engine and wanted everyone to tell him it was better than what Mike was doing. When it didn't happen the way he wished, he went off. Dan is an edgy guy who does brilliant work.
Sounds like a back story to an evil game character. :) Anyways, that does explain a lot. I personally think that he should have taken the high road and accepted the criticism and made his engine better. What the programmer perceives is very different from what the community percieves.

FreeVector is not terrible...it just needs a lot of work.

As for Beyond Virtual or GameCore (whatever it's called now), Mike's team did not write that from scratch. He did the same with that as he did with RF. RF was taken over from Ralph and his team when it was Rabid Games Framework. It was renamed by Mike to RealityFactory and Mike assembled a team to work on it. Beyond Virtual's engine was done by another group of people. It's called BVLib.
Many Bothans died to bring you this signature....
Destron

Post by Destron »

Jay wrote:@topic: we are going offtopic again....
Correct.

3D GameStudio

Has anybody tried this? I want to get it but I'm too much of a cheapskate to lay down $200 for the commercial version.

The list of features is pretty impressive...
http://www.conitec.net/english/gstudio/3dgs7.php
Sph!nx

Post by Sph!nx »

Haven't tried it yet, but I've been thinking of getting it for a long time now. Judging by what I know of it, I think its the money more than worth it too.
Regards Sph!nx

Sven Co-op, DevEd: Development & Editing
steven8

Post by steven8 »

I had a registered copy of BV. I may still have it, not sure. I had to reload windows. Anyway, BV is a nice little engine and set of tools. If they have their shaders in place, and the physic the way they were talking, I'd say it's well worth a look. Yes, it's called GameCore now. Sorry about that. www.gamecore.com, will get you there.

Sorry about wandering of topic there. Kind of a side story: "The people 'behind' the engines." :lol:
Steve Dilworth - Resisting change since 1965!
slin

Post by slin »

Hey guys,

Now you were not harsh, I was just saying that there was an argument.

Ok, I guess I said you were harsh, haha but nah this is a cool community.

(although it seems more like childish play then work around here, I kinda aim to change that soon)

Now freevector in my opinion is awesome, one lone man making something like that? Come on lets give him props everyone!

But it takes a newer computer to run.

someone talked about the 3d gamestudio here.

I like it but hate the license, for that reason stay away.

Gamecore is alright, but really not that much better than rf.

(don't tell geikedo I said that, really awesome product but not upgraded enough for me.)

You want a full quality amazing engine with python support?

Check this out.

http://devnet.sylphis3d.com/

Amazing used to be commercial now free.
Juutis

Post by Juutis »

slin wrote:(although it seems more like childish play then work around here, I kinda aim to change that soon)
It may seem like that. A lot of projects yet no games released. Of course, some people do it just for fun but trust me, there are also people who are serious about it. Including myself.
slin wrote:Now freevector in my opinion is awesome, one lone man making something like that? Come on lets give him props everyone!
Yeah, he gets my respect. Writing one's own game engine is a huge undertaking, I've admired him since he first posted the FV thread (just like I admire QoD, Andy and all the other guys). But I also have to admit that FV needs to be worked on. It's nowhere near perfect yet.