my firetruck

Topics relating to Modeling with Reality Factory.
GD1

Post by GD1 »

people around here dont generally get offended if your looking for help with a game in another engine. most of us use other engines too. I myself had an oppurtunity open up to work with a team in the Clockwork engine and haven't used RF since. But i still stop by to help out where i can.

That Fire Truck is really looking good, you have been paying really good attention to detail and your modelling work is above par for Milkshape. Milkshape can do amazing things, but it takes a lot of skill to do them. There are a couple things i see that you should watch out for though.

1. It's hard to tell, but in several spots it appears as if you have geometry sitting on top of other geometry, instead of linked to it by polygons. This is fine for an in-game model, but, if you are planning to use this model to generate a normal map you will usually have difficulties getting all the details of these objects to map onto the flat geometry in the in-game model.

Also, in several places you have extruded geometry but not curved the edges. In most cases, these extrusions will not be picked up by a normal map generator, so you may want to round out the corners, or simply scale down the extruded part of the geometry.

Of course, that is assuming you plan to use normal mapping. If not, then dont worry about that at all.

2. While I admire your attention to detail, the pipes on the side of the truck look to be really high-poly. If you start running into polycount problems, this would be the first place I would take detail away from. Second would be the front bumper, and then the tire wells.

Just a couple pointers :)
Check out my band
Tougher Than Fort Knox

Post by Guest »

Thanks GD1, I have no experience with normap maps so I dont know about doing that. Either way though I dont think I ever actually used an extrude tool, most of the polys I placed by hand, with the exception of the cylinders. The bars in the top middle of the deck on the back I think are too high poly and if I have problems with framerate I'll probably redo those also with less segments or slices or whatever.. And for the geometry thats just poking through rather then be attached, I wasnt sure if I should do it the way I have or just connect polys, that would have added many polys though so I chose not too. Again, no experience with normal maps so that may have influenced my desicion.
Kamazy

Post by Kamazy »

I'm Back!!

Hey that model is really nice i give it 4 start cuz it needs some modifications.
Its ok to have high poly but don't go overboard and clean any polys that you can't see or make some things lower poly cuz they don't need it after you add texture it will look as good as if made it with 10 times more polys.

Here i car i'm making not finished yet but it's a good start.
Attachments
New version.
New version.
Jeepfl.JPG (20.3 KiB) Viewed 221 times