Enjoy, Have a nice life and all that fun stuff

Discuss any other topics here
gekido

Enjoy, Have a nice life and all that fun stuff

Post by gekido »

It has become more than obvious that the hardwork, hosting, bandwidth, and goodwill that my company has put towards this community over the past several years has been a complete waste of time.

As a result, there is little else that I can do but distance my company completely from this community.

This seems to be what the community wants, and i don't have enough time in the day to try and fight and argue with everyone.

As of this posting - the realityfactory.ca site is no longer live, and any mention of Reality Factory is off of our Corporate site (or will be shortly if I've missed anything).

With any luck some of you will enjoy Beyond Virtual when it is released (we will be notifying RF Pro customers of the release date), but as it stands right now - apparently I've wasted several years of my life dedicating it to improving and working on this community and I can't allow that to continue.

Enjoy,
Mike W
http://www.GDGi.ca
ZenBudha

Post by ZenBudha »

Well from the looks of things thats probably your best move, and I understand.
Fear not the textures for the almighty stylus is with thee - Book of Zen
federico
RF Dev Team

Post by federico »

You are always in time when it's time to get out from the main door... anyways most of the users will understand you, but the new possible users over the net will never again found anything clicking on the realityfactory.ca link. In the http://www.indiegaming.com site there isn't any direct link to therealityfactory community site. So, are you preventing anyone to find and see the main product (now BV isn't ready) of your company? What kind of project manager are you? You are murdering your company product! I don't understand....
In Pickle' s post I wrote that you have done your positive part in the past (a big part, all the guys here have to admit), so we don't have to complain anything with you. But now you are doing a new negative work against the community: and so against the whole realityfactory. Because RF is its community, remember...
Handless

Post by Handless »

I've got to apologize, I think I may have made things worse by pointing out that stupid negative comment.. If you look at the positive vs. negative and what the community has to say about RF, it's overwhelming how much people like RF and how many people enjoy using it.. I like it alot, and I didn't mean to say it was under par, it was not my intention to dis Gekido, his company, RF, or anyone who has helped the community and RF survive.. Shouldn't listen to me anyways.. I've only begun to use RF a week ago.. I feel pretty bad now.. Sorry man.. :(
GD1

Post by GD1 »

I'm sorry things have come to this. I don't believe your time was wasted at all. And while some people (pickles, others) can say some hurtful things, I really don't think that is a good reason to distance yourself from the community. Your more than a business owner to us, your a friend. The people of this community have come to trust you and believe it or not, very few of us would ever want you to leave.

RF was not a mistake socially or financially. If it weren't for RF, where do you think you would be? Would BV ever have happened, or would it have died as the engine for 'that veggitarian game'? RF set a precident for the open source community as a whole. And, while it may be outdated, the underlying principle is more up-to-date than anything. A programming free pipe-line through which artists and writters can make a game, with no programming talent. This is the same basis for Beyond Virtual, so in a way, RF is BV's spiritual predacessor.

You have to remember that the opinion of a few clueless people who think that they know everything is never even close to the truth. I'm sure that in the very least I speak for myself, Spyrewolf , Voltare, Zen_Budha, MJBee, PeteMorretta, wxb1, Quest of Dreams, Animatrix, Muzzer, and Mete, when I say that your leaving is the last thing we want. And if I'm wrong, then please correct me. You are not just a part of this community, you are this community, and if you hadn't kept RF alive, very few, if any of us, would be developing games or pursuing any career in the industry.

So, whether you choose never to speak to us again or not, that's your decision. But you will be missed greatly. So I hope you have a good life as well. Please, don't forget us. Keep in touch.
Check out my band
Tougher Than Fort Knox
SithMaster

Post by SithMaster »

I wouldnt say that your time was wasted. You have helped a lot of people including me. Good luck with your project.
The brightest light casts the darkest shadow.
Burn the heretic. Kill the mutant. Purge the unclean.
gekido

gd1

Post by gekido »

>>You are murdering your company product!

RF is not a product that we sell or support any further. We have not sold RF for quite a while now, and this

This community has made it perfectly clear that they don't appreciate or want our help any further, so be it.

I will add a news post to the front page of the indiegaming site with a link along the side for the new rf location.
Pete

Post by Pete »

what the heck did i miss?! where'd all this come from? i haven't seen anything that sounded as the community wasn't thankful for all the hard work. ok, that one thread but qod even deleted it. are you people flooding mike with hate mail or something? cut it out ya goofballs! *swift backhand*

ah well and so it goes. sorry to hear it, mike. but thanks for everything. gotta do what you gotta do my friend. good luck, hope to see ya around and all that fun stuff.

and yeah... me and GD1 and the other 1000 folks you helped don't think it was a waste of time...

@fede... rf isn't gdgi's main product. they haven't sold it for a while now. sounds like mike's just tired of wasting money on hosting etc when people apparently are giving him crap for doing it.

[edit... posted at the same time! but i'll leave my note to fede in anyway]
federico
RF Dev Team

Post by federico »

RF is not a product that we sell or support any further. We have not sold RF for quite a while now
Ok you don't sell RF anymore.
This community has made it perfectly clear that they don't appreciate or want our help any further, so be it.
you are simply exaggerating. most persons heard to pickles post sceptically and I didn't see any offence to you. All seems to us simply unbelivable. Someone had doubt about "Guest identity", others defended you, others, like me, thought that was a private affair. The post was deleted for not harming your business and it's for business that you leave RF. This is reasonable, no one will condemn you for this, but you have to admit it. "it's the press baby..."
Anyways, and frankly, good luck.
AndyCR

Post by AndyCR »

i want to say that i believe it is a private affair as well.

i would like to say good-bye, and thank you for inspiring me, all the way back to your ai hunter game (remember that?). I would also like to say that you dont have to leave if you do not want to, nobody is forcing you out, and add me to the list of people that do not want to see you leave.
jonas

Post by jonas »

When everything is going good then all of a sudden someone post a messege, how does anyone know thats pickles that posted everything? Or if it was how come people still want keep the fight going? Qod shut the topic down. This is his site he don't want it used for a fighting ground so he shut it down, I think we should respect his choice and drop it. But............................. I think came to RF when the website was at 065 and at version 03 of your site and you upgraded it twice then we moved here, I would like to say I appreciate all the money you put into hosting Realityfactory the forum and demos and resources. I also appreciate the time you put into answering some of the questions I needed answers to way back. Thanx for everything!
Jonas

Focused, hard work is the real key to success. Keep your eyes on the goal, and just keep taking the next step towards completing it. If you aren't sure which way to do something, do it both ways and see which works better. - John Carmack
steven8

Post by steven8 »

It has become more than obvious that the hardwork, hosting, bandwidth, and goodwill that my company has put towards this community over the past several years has been a complete waste of time.
I don't believe it has become 'obvious', but, as I said before, it seemed to me that too many people got hot after you based on Pickle's rant. Mike, you made the leap that any idealistic artist does once they realize that if they want to survive in the marketplace, they must make changes that, on the surface, go 'against the grain' of that idealist. Changes that follow the business culture. You have done nothing wrong, that I can see, and I thank you very much for all of your hard work and efforts on our behalf.

I wish you nothing but the best in your endeavors, and I will follow BV very close, as I feel it has great promise.
federico
RF Dev Team

Post by federico »

Gekido,please correct the link to the RF community site. Now is http://http//www.dhost.info/realityfactory. It should be:
http://dhost.info/realityfactory
Thanks
GD1

Post by GD1 »

I also wanted to thank you for all the time and effort you put into RF. I know how much money you put into it, and I for one really appreciated it. I know how much an E3 booth generally runs for, and i was very happy to hear we had one, even though i was dissappointed we didn't get to see it.

Thank you, and take care. :)
Check out my band
Tougher Than Fort Knox
gekido

updated

Post by gekido »

After discussing the situation with my partner and QoD, I have reset the realityfactory.ca site to point at the new community site. I can't transfer the domain to QoD (or I would) as he is not a canadian citizen.

I have corrected the link on the indiegaming.com site as well, not sure what happened there.

i'm not going to comment on the pickles thread, however it was most definitely Dan posting. I have yet to hear anything personally from him (before or after the thread) but have agreed with Dan's boss to drop the matter as it is the best for all involved.