Too Many Problems

Post topics regarding Level Building/Design and Entity Usage with Reality Factory
JordanZimm

Too Many Problems

Post by JordanZimm »

Ok, hello everyone on the RF forum. I am new to RF and have encountered several problems which imagine wouldnt be an issue, but i have no education in the field of video game design or scripting and am avid about learning(i am a sophmore in high school and plan to take computer science next year, then AP conputer science along with computer systems the following year). I am currently trying to make a world for the game i am planning with very little to no scripting while i patiently wait for next year. Introduction aside, i have managed to create a very basic world, two maximum size hollow cubes next to and connected to each other, and have figured out how to make ladders, functional water(asthetically unapealing at that), and BASIC geometry. Those are my greatest accomplishments as of yet. Now, i would like to list my current problems/potential learning expirences;

-i would like to learn how to make a door that opens and closes based on the player's proximity to it.
-i would like to learn how to create a moving platform
-i would like to learn how to make the water actually LOOK like water, as opposed to an empty brush that can magically be swam in
-i would like to learn how to create a brush that functions as a "one-way mirror" of sorts, so it is like a window when seen on one side, and a solid obstruction when viewed on the other
-i would like to learn how to switch between different levels
-i have heard that switching between different levels wipes its scripting values and timeline, i would like to learn how to avoid that without creating countless versions of the same level

everything else i understand that i can do by scripting, i just need to know HOW to script :PP
assistance in my endavours would be greatly appreciated, thank you
paradoxnj
RF2 Dev Team

Re: Too Many Problems

Post by paradoxnj »

Best advice would be to read the ebook that is available in the downloads section of this site. It walks you through creating a complete game using RealityFactory. All your questions will be answered in that book with the exception of the water. You can search the forum for that. There is a post by Federico that explains how to make better water.
Many Bothans died to bring you this signature....
JordanZimm

Re: Too Many Problems

Post by JordanZimm »

i have read the tutorial for the realistic water, but that was for looks as opposed to function. and ty, i wasnt sure where the ebook was. Much appreciated