RF Pro

Discuss any other topics here
Voltare

my 12,000 cents.......

Post by Voltare »

I paid for rf basic right the friday before it got dropped.Later, I was promised, in the forums, that I would recieve the materials I paid for.....and maybe a discount on bv indie.It's been MONTHS with nothing, no word about it or anything....(p.s....i believe I was known as wrapscallion on the forums then)

I am not rich.I only make 24,000$ per year, so I do not have oodles and oodles of money laying around, and until my wife can work....I'm cash strapped.
I could have taken that approx. 120$ and spent it on DarkBasic
and a model pack for it.Or bought the Torque engine, or BlitzBasic, or the standard version of 3dGamestudio...........

I am a trusting soul.I believe that no matter who runs my government, for example, they will not completely destroy my country. I believe my children will listen to me when they get to be teenagers. I believe my mom likes me the best. and I believe that gekido will do right by me......won't he?
gekido

To Voltare

Post by gekido »

This is a side note specifically to Voltare & any RF Pro users out there:

We will be sending out an email shortly with details about a private Beta of Beyond Virtual that all RF Pro users will be able to access in the next few weeks.

I will send you a personal note as a followup as well to address your specific situation.
Voltare

not turning on you......

Post by Voltare »

Never did, even if it sounded like it.....was just wonderin' and tryin to get me wife of me back( thanks for the info...btw!!!!!) .
Believe it or not, I was one of those few who d'ld an early version of Rf( .23 i think)I also remember when the link to it was on an ooogly black page with red lines on it.......
I made a partial game in 1986 in computer class in school, basically a horrible attempt at Ulitma 3, then in 1989 began Army training in computer operations and repair.When the first net connections in this area came out in 1993-4, I was one of the first on them, and I began my search for a 3d game maker.
What I want is : a program or a set of programs that will allow me to create my own set of games, mainly for myself....and whether it be BV or RF , FreeVector or whatever......that's where my meager amount of money will go.( Remember---we get income tax refunds in the U.S., so I will have dough for any lisences that pop up).
What irritates me is: RF's editor( RFEDITPRO) is the best danged thing I've ever tried, from , yes, antiryad to 3d rpgbuilder to gamemaker to 3dgamestudio and the fly3d sdk, yet.....I have nothing made.Most of this comes from 3 hurricanes in 1 years time, starting with Ivan last year, through Dennis and Katrina this year, and a sucky dell computer that likes to fry it's power supply occasionally very early in the mornings.
I'm going well again, making textures, finding textures, making area's etc...........but I'm always on the lookout for the next hurricane, the next power supply failure or whatever that's gonna frustrate the heck outta me.............sorry if i seemed "unseemly" and non-appreciative, and I do like the look of B.V...........
GD1

Post by GD1 »

any idea when the rest of us will get a look at BV?
Check out my band
Tougher Than Fort Knox
gekido

We will be posting release dates & other news very soon

Post by gekido »

Things are down to the final crunch now - we're going to be making a big announcement on or around Dec 1.

We have the task list down to the final page of items and the programmers are ripping through them as quick as they can.

As well, we've started work on a number of demo games that will ship with BV, it will include a number of 'starter packs', basically 'game templates' that will allow you to get started quickly creating numerous game types to demonstrate functionality and how to use the engine etc

Some of the newer features that have been added include:

- photoshop psd format support (load native photoshop files as materials)

- fbx support for static meshes and animations (there are plugins for fbx export from maya, max, lightwave, softimage, motionbuilder etc and there is a free fbx converter as well for static models)

Some other goodies that are pretty unique for an engine include behind the scenes lightmap generation - just hit 'generate lightmaps' and you can continue editing your world - the lightmaps are generated per-object and appear as they are completed without interrupting your workflow

no more 'waiting for compiles' for nice lighting, you can keep adding & tweaking objects to your world while the existing models have their lightmaps generated.

you can set 'anti-aliasing' to your lightmapping so that the shadows are much smoother than is possible with RF - no more 'jaggies'...

lights can be added directly to 3d models in your 3d package of choice and loaded with the model itself - so model a streetlight, add a light to the model and the engine loads the model & light.

both realtime lighting and lightmapping are supported to allow you maximum performance and balance between dynamic and static lighting, and much more.

and much, much more - we also have a fulltime web-programmer working on a site management system for us on top of the artists & programmers that are on the team, he's been putting together a slick online system for managing the licensee area, documentation, mailing lists and other web-based goodies that we'll be using for keeping everyone up to date with BV news.

we'll have a new BV site navigation & layout launched soon as well that will have much more streamlined information about the engine - including a ton of new screenshots and information about the features available in the engine - stay tuned...
Voltare

wow....2

Post by Voltare »

this is cool :

lights can be added directly to 3d models in your 3d package of choice and loaded with the model itself - so model a streetlight, add a light to the model and the engine loads the model & light.

even modeling with anim8or now is possible to make characters and scenes for a b.v. game.......interesting!
gekido

anim8or

Post by gekido »

I haven't used anim8or personally - but if it can export to FBX, then you'll be able to use it for 3d animations.

almost every 3d modeling package can be used for static 3d models - we support a pretty wide range of formats.

almost every major image format is supported as well, from png, to tga, to psd, to bmp etc as well, no converting or 'compiling' of models required.

there is a native internal material & object format that you can package your content down to once you are ready to ship your game, some of the 3d formats that we support are too large to really use for alot of models, but they are supported for development purposes to allow very quick creation of content.

Mete is working on FBX support for Milkshape 3d as well, so the Indie's that own milkshape will be able to load / export animations & models from Milkshape easily into BV (and any other program that supports FBX).
Robin

Post by Robin »

I thought Reality factory is free. Ain't it?
AndyCR

Post by AndyCR »

yes, at one point there was a pay pro edition that came with extra stuff, but that has since stopped being offered.
gekido

Open Source versus Commercial versions

Post by gekido »

For a period of a year, we offered a commercial version of reality factory.

The comparison that you can make is similar to the commercial versions of Linux that are on the market - ie Red Hat, Suse, etc

The core Reality Factory engine is and always has been open source.

NOTE - Open Source is NOT the equivalent of Freeware. It seems that many people do not understand the difference.

If you start using an Open Source engine for your game production, it is VERY important that you research what the difference is and how it affects your game's production, particularly if you are looking to do any kind of commercial release of your game.