adding custom textures

Post topics regarding Level Building/Design and Entity Usage with Reality Factory
ShadowDust

adding custom textures

Post by ShadowDust »

this seems like a silly question, but i cant figure out how to insert my own textures in to the game/editor?
Alek

Post by Alek »

First of all, all the textures you can use in your scene are packed into txl files. So, if you want to texture an object, you have to have txl file loaded into the editor first (project\level options in RFEditPro). If you want to add your own texture, create it first in image manipulation program (likie pixia, GIMP or the like), convert it with "Texture Image Converter" so it can be used by RF (you can also create bump and specular map while converting, if you like), then launch rfpack, open the texture pack file you want to use, and add the textures you have created by dragging them from folder they're located in to Texture Pack window. As simple as that; I hope my explanation was clear enough :).

If you don't feel like creating your own textures, use link to free texture sites I have posted on this forum.
AndyCR

Post by AndyCR »

just as a note, you dont have to use texture image converter if you don't want, reality factory accepts bmp's and tga's well without it, but keep in mind that ive heard tga's dont extract from pack files without crashing, so keep the source files. texture image converter is, however, incredibly convenient for making bump maps (as Alek explained).
steven8

Post by steven8 »

Also keep in mind that they must be sized like this, 16 x 16, 32 x 32, 64 x 64, 128 x 128, 256 x 256, 512 x 512 and so on. I know the engine will handle larger textures now, but I'm not sure just how big. I have used 1024 x 1024 and it worked.
AndyCR

Post by AndyCR »

as a note, they can also be like this: 512x256, 128x1024, etc.

so any combinations of powers of two work.
steven8

Post by steven8 »

Wow. Thant's a change I was not aware of. As I said, I've been away for some time. Thanks, Andy.