Trouble with suns and static mesh...

Post topics regarding Level Building/Design and Entity Usage with Reality Factory
Silverwing

Trouble with suns and static mesh...

Post by Silverwing »

I have lighting problems when I use either Sun or sunlight entities with static mesh. Everything compiles ok and the level runs, but the staticmesh is totally black. I made sure that I set it to compute all lights and made sure that nothing is wrong with the actor I used for the mesh.

Can anyone please give me some tips on how to fix this problem?

QuestOfDreams
Site Admin

Post by QuestOfDreams »

hmm... I'm afraid it's a bug, will take a look at the code... :?
Silverwing

Post by Silverwing »

ah, ok.. I thought it was just me. thanks for looking in to it and merry christmas :D :D :D
QuestOfDreams
Site Admin

Post by QuestOfDreams »

Ok, I've checked the code and it works fine, the problem with the sunlight is that the skybox itself is casting a shadow on static meshes (genesis collision routines are the problem here) so just make the skybox large enough (skybox should be ~10000 texels away from the static mesh in the direction the light is coming from) and the lighting should be ok.
Silverwing

Post by Silverwing »

Ok, I've checked the code and it works fine, the problem with the sunlight is that the skybox itself is casting a shadow on static meshes
very wierd
genesis collision routines are the problem here
collisions are a massive problem for me as well as I can just walk up to a wall mesh and go right through it (even jump right though the ceiling part of the mesh.
so just make the skybox large enough (skybox should be ~10000 texels away from the static mesh in the direction the light is coming from) and the lighting should be ok.
I did that ( made it to max size without compiler tossing it out) and it got me nowhere.

I guess this bring my project to a standstill or I will have to find something else other than RF because if I did brushes RF would just bog down big time as you add more brushes.. thanks for having a look at the problem
QuestOfDreams
Site Admin

Post by QuestOfDreams »

If you want, you can send me the level and I'll try to fix it for you (realityfactory@gmx.at)
Jay
RF Dev Team

Post by Jay »

To continue your work, you could set UseFillColor to true and the FillColor to something like 128 128 128 . this gives the mesh a default lighting (of 128 128 128); For small models i always use this method.
Everyone can see the difficult, but only the wise can see the simple.
-----
Silverwing

Post by Silverwing »

sure and thanks

btw, delete the skydome entity because i forgot to add the script file for it or you can just change it.
Attachments
level.zip
A Small Cave level
(13.61 KiB) Downloaded 68 times
QuestOfDreams
Site Admin

Post by QuestOfDreams »

uhm.. that's just the compiled level... I'd need the 3dt and static mesh actor at least
Silverwing

Post by Silverwing »

unfortunatly due to attachment limits I cant post it all, sorry
QuestOfDreams
Site Admin

Post by QuestOfDreams »

That's why I said you can mail me the level... you can also upload it to the reality factory ftp space... etc etc
Silverwing

Post by Silverwing »

just sent it by e-mail
QuestOfDreams
Site Admin

Post by QuestOfDreams »

Ok, I now know what's going on. In the RFEditPro code there is a second Sunlight entity defined which seems to cause a conflict so RF doesn't recognize it. I've used the old RFEdit and there it worked perfectly fine.

I've added a SunLight entity to the level, extended the skybox and changed some entries in the StaticMesh entity (also changed the player scale and rotation since I used virgil as player actor (and had to reduce the bounding box size in the playersetup.ini - otherwise the player got stuck in the cave))

So until I've uploaded a fixed version of RFEditPro you may use RFEdit...

I've just sent you the changed 3dt..
Silverwing

Post by Silverwing »

cool thanks, sorry you had to go thru all that trouble to find out what was going on
QuestOfDreams
Site Admin

Post by QuestOfDreams »

no problem