BV Indie Beta Released

Discuss any other topics here
gekido

BV Indie Beta Released

Post by gekido »

Just wanted to post this in case people haven't noticed.

GDGi have released the Beta of BV Indie for customers to download. We are looking into the possibility of offering a trial version as well, I'll keep everyone posted about this when we make a final decision.

http://www.beyondvirtual.com/sitenew/?p ... b32006.php
AndyCR

Post by AndyCR »

just as a personal opinion, i wouldnt even CONSIDER buying it unless i could try it out, see if it met my requirements, etc. or had a reliable third party review of it, and im sure thats true of most of us. just as a tip. so it would be nice to have a trial.

not trying to be rude, just giving you a sense for how i feel. if i cant try it, im scared to buy it, and im 99% sure thats true of others as well.
bernie
RF Moderator

Post by bernie »

Couldn't agree more Andy. €125 is a lot to lash out of a pension on an untried product.
gekido

Trial Version

Post by gekido »

We are considering releasing a Trial version of the engine in the near future. Once we reach a solid 'Gold' release of the Indie engine, we will post more news about this.

For what it's worth, you can check out the Beyond Virtual forums to get feedback from users that HAVE purchased the engine.
Voltare

heh

Post by Voltare »

i tell ya what......i've got it, and it's pretty good----surpasses Rf in most every way.The scripting is amazingly easy( i can't stress this enough!!!!!!!), makes the simkin-derived scripting Rf uses look like Befunge.I can make my levels/buildings in RFEDITPRO, save as .3ds, and then import them into BV, textures( as long as you have extracted the textures from the .txl first, heh), texture locations , rotations, etc. included.

Models, I'm using universal human, heh, and universal monster, converting them into animated .ms3d, for now.

As soon as I figure out how to get a texture and an alphamap on the same page, i'll be bumpmapping all textures in T.I.C., and using them.

I can't tell you enough how amazingly simple the scripting is, you'd be surprised, after having tried to use simkin, then going to angelscript( which is what BV uses).If Gekido doesn't mind, i'd like to show a few example scripts, to illustrate my point......
animatrix

Post by animatrix »

Sounds like a great program to use, :D
Voltare

Post by Voltare »

tis.....now if i could just animate those universal packs in .ms3d( which Bv now supports....hehe)
gekido

ms3d

Post by gekido »

the universal packs are something i'm considering posting along with the demonstration of the ms3d support - i'll need to save all the animations out as ms3d files as opposed to the .smd or .mot files, but this is a fairly minor inconvenience.

as well, since you only need to save your animations ONCE and can reuse the same animations across any number of similar models, all you need to do is load the universal human, choose your textures, save the ms3d file and it's ready to load in the game with the full set of animations ready to go.

it's very straight forward.

we have downloaded a few models from the half-life community to demonstrate the ms3d support and will be posting an update this wednesday with the new version...