OK some outdoor scene shots

Post topics regarding Level Building/Design and Entity Usage with Reality Factory
Tabulanis

OK some outdoor scene shots

Post by Tabulanis »

The out door scene is going good. Some texture lin up problems these shots were taken using FSAA set at 8 with am ATI radeon it ran at 30 fps dippin to 10 and back every once in a wile. I have 1.5 gigs ram so I think that helps the rate but still not bad. anistorphy set at maximum an same for maps.

The poly count on this scene is roughly 17000 polys.

There are quite a few shots but I hope you guys dont mind.

After the bridge there will be a door the gos to the tower but looks like it goes into thin air. The last shot is from inside the tower.
Attachments
screen000.jpg
screen000.jpg (60.11 KiB) Viewed 3338 times
screen003.jpg
screen003.jpg (73.95 KiB) Viewed 3337 times
screen002.jpg
screen002.jpg (73.86 KiB) Viewed 3339 times
AndyCR

Post by AndyCR »

wow. absolutely incredible. i love the level of detail!

a criticism: the cliffs the bridge stands on in the second shot look a bit too blocky.
Last edited by AndyCR on Mon Feb 13, 2006 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tabulanis

OO Almost forgot

Post by Tabulanis »

How do I do an invisable collision hull detail brush?
Or better an invisable stick mesh. I could make really simple ones.

Also I was gonna put in two more shots that show the mountial behind the player in that scene but I couldn't if you want I'll upload them on a new thread later.
ardentcrest

Post by ardentcrest »

Incredibale shots.

What file format are you using, and which program to create them.

You know AndyCR is looking for good artists. for his RF2.

check out The RF 2 Discussion topic.

Your scenes and art work, and AndyCR's programming will push the rest of us to the next level to just to get.........
( I'd never could do work like that in a millon years )

DON'T YOU JUST HATE TALENT :lol:
Tabulanis

Post by Tabulanis »

I use a large host of programs.
These are all act files.
I need collision though right now static ent proxy is the only way to get them in the engine reliably (Static mesh ent crashes it somtimes.)
The big issues are transperency glitches in large areas the textures blink a lot, and collision. I thinks its a mip map problem with the ttextures but I dont know for sure.

Invisable colliding objects are something I raelly need but can't find.
AndyCR

Post by AndyCR »

what I would do is create the invisible collision meshes as bsp brushes in-editor, mark them as empty and apply a tga texture that's 100% transparency.
Tabulanis

Post by Tabulanis »

Ok thats a test scence got colision working dope. Now dor the real thing. I'll post tomarrow if I get it done. I'll have a running graphic demo done in a couple day I hope. Just one level but it will be about 2/3 hundred megs.
AndyCR

Post by AndyCR »

Tabulanis wrote:Just one level but it will be about 2/3 hundred megs.
:shock:

guess thats the cost of such amazing artwork... :)
Alek

Post by Alek »

Wa-aaaa-ay to go!!! :shock:
GD1

Post by GD1 »

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

The graphical style screams Metroid Prime. and to think our little engine could handle this! Keep up the good work!
Check out my band
Tougher Than Fort Knox
Tabulanis

Post by Tabulanis »

Its all about proper Texture usage and static geometry. I read a few posts about how you cant do decent lighting using static meshes, I have to say thats bogus. If you plan out your level areas ahead of time and really go for broke on the modeling you can make staic mehes with way better lighting than the engine can do. Really where the engine is weak is in the BSP geom. The lighting setp is good but not enough to get really competitive results. It does crunch large numbers of polys well though. The new level ( most of these shots are learning curve shots.) I am making has 17000 polys but flys on my machine and this computer plays quake 4 slow as snot. So far the reall problems I see are texture setup in engine and dynamic texture effects basicly dont exist for any of the static geometry witch is a must becuase BSP style geom will kill your frame rate at high detail.

I have discovered that if an engine had BSP for BASIC I mean BASIC area creation and more static mesh support, (Texture management lightmapping suport, even if you have to creat the maps yourself instead of generating them in the compiling proccess, dynamic texture effects on stat mesh, specular bump, and shadows on and from the meshes, parhaps based off stenciled low LOD copies of the mesh.) You would have the perfect fast, fuctional, and if the file formats are open enough versitile engine. Hell I though why not make a stand alone shadow map dreator for ACT files, (Or if better file formats are available, any stat mesh) It would consist of level files for the lighting scheme and then generate bitmap or dds light mapping for the meshes in the scene using a poly ray or some other open raytracing engine. Pre-rendered imagery saves CPU time and cuts polys. It also save me having to go intp paint programs with unwrapped maps and drawing them. Uhg. Its not all I do but I do it alot. There are tools for creating auto bump maps and such it seems obviouse that there should be a free lighting map maker. Then you could aply it as a layer in photo shop or better yet save it to the map as a light map. (Yes I know currently not suported. With additional texture support like UT2004 where you could use level textures as maps for high poly models and light mapping support you could cut down on hard disk usage and ram. These are my thoughts. Not programer though.
AndyCR

Post by AndyCR »

great ideas! :D
Tabulanis wrote:I have discovered that if an engine had BSP for BASIC I mean BASIC area creation and more static mesh support, (Texture management lightmapping suport, even if you have to creat the maps yourself instead of generating them in the compiling proccess, dynamic texture effects on stat mesh, specular bump, and shadows on and from the meshes, parhaps based off stenciled low LOD copies of the mesh.) You would have the perfect fast, fuctional, and if the file formats are open enough versitile engine.
not to advertise rf2, but this is what i have in mind for rf2's levels - basic geometry ("bsp", if you prefer, but it'll be culled by octree) as a "shell" and filled in with static meshes, but still able to use only shell geometry should you desire - much like unrealed. static meshes will, if it goes as planned, be removed as an entity and be made a basic brush type (or perhaps kept and used as both, but seen inengine as an entity).
MakerOfGames

Post by MakerOfGames »

That is amazing! It reminds me of Metroid Prime and Resident Evil 4. How many polygons are there in that scene? Also, whats your frame rate? Great job!! EXCELLENT WORK!! :D
Think outside the box.
To go on an adventure, one must discard the comforts and safety of the known and trusted.
ZenBudha

Post by ZenBudha »

Well at 30fps with dips down to 10fps is acceptable if it's not an action game. A fast turn of the mouse in a FPS type of game will show you 30fps is too slow. For just about anything else it's fine though.

Screens are awesome. The artwork is very pro looking.
Fear not the textures for the almighty stylus is with thee - Book of Zen
ardentcrest

Post by ardentcrest »

ZenBudha wrote:Well at 30fps with dips down to 10fps is acceptable if it's not an action game. A fast turn of the mouse in a FPS type of game will show you 30fps is too slow. For just about anything else it's fine though.
MakerOfGames wrote:That is amazing! It reminds me of Metroid Prime and Resident Evil 4. How many polygons are there in that scene? Also, whats your frame rate? Great job!! EXCELLENT WORK!! .
Give details, Not just you fps, but what you run on you computer stats.

comp speed,
graph card,
memeroy,
the capatal of Madagascar,
and your op sys