Is this normal?

Discuss any other topics here
sonicfire1980

Is this normal?

Post by sonicfire1980 »

HI,

i´m new to RF and just did a quick ´n dirty test using the latest release (RF GCS 0.72A ), following this tutorial: http://www.realityfactory.info/cms/inde ... tor-basics

However, i got a horrible framerate. There´s no counter but it looks like 5 - 10 fps.

I switched to 3rd person cam using F2 and then there´s also another problem, that the main guy is more "swimming" instead of walking (please look at the picture, dont know how to explain it better
:oops: )

Why´s that? And pressing F3 for "diablo style cam" doesn´t change anything...

My system may be a bit outdated (Win XP SP2, DX9, 384MB, athlon XP 1400, latest Nvidia Detonator driver, GF2 64MB) but for just one guy + one room without anything else it should be enough.

any ideas / hints / tips for a newbie? :) Thanks!
[/img]
QuestOfDreams
Site Admin

Post by QuestOfDreams »

However, i got a horrible framerate. There´s no counter but it looks like 5 - 10 fps.
Get Fraps ( http://www.fraps.com/ ) to get the framerate. 5-10 fps are not normal for a simple room like that.
I switched to 3rd person cam using F2 and then there´s also another problem, that the main guy is more "swimming" instead of walking
you have to rotate the model correctly:
http://docs.realityfactory.info/0.76.1/PlayerSetup.htm
change the ActorRotation entry to -90 180 0 for the virgil.act model
And pressing F3 for "diablo style cam" doesn´t change anything...
That's because it is disabled in the default install
http://docs.realityfactory.info/0.76.1/CameraINI.htm
open the camera.ini file in the install folder and change
switchtoisopersonallowed = false
to
switchtoisopersonallowed = true
sonicfire1980

Post by sonicfire1980 »

Thank you very much!! :)

I noticed that after a while the framerate got a bit better... its still too low.
Also when the camera is very near a corner it drops to almost 1 fps for a short time ... if i move the camera then to another direction it went up to 20-30 again... but it still lags like hell.... :(

this is just one box with the guy in it. there HAS to be no lagging... hmm... what could be the problem?
sonicfire1980

Post by sonicfire1980 »

Hmm okay. I found that changing "FSAntiAliasing = 1" to "=0" in the d3d24.ini gaves me a !HUGE! framerate improve ... :)
hike1
RF FAQ-Keeper

Post by hike1 »

bernie
RF Moderator

Post by bernie »

The D3d24 driver doesn't work properly on my computer which has onboard graphics. I only get framerates of 1 or 2 also just like you. I use the OpenGL driver and the framerates are much better but only around 19-20.
When the new computers are out with new chipsets supporting MS Vista, Open GL will definately NOT be supported and rumour has it niether will open source. So what will happen to RF then, any ideas anyone? Does anyone know if that rumour is true? Does anyone know if Linux will be supported with the new chipsets?
AndyCR

Post by AndyCR »

opengl is NOT supported beyond a very old version in windows xp either; graphics card drivers add the support. it's nothing new, though the media would have you believe it was.

you can't discriminate against open source. microsoft themselves use open source components in windows, and theres no way once a program is being run to tell its open source.

its not that the chipsets will support linux, its that linux will support the chipsets. it always has been that way.
bernie
RF Moderator

Post by bernie »

Thanks for the reply Andy. I Never had xp can't be doing with all that activating etc too much trouble. I run win2k which from what Iv'e seen is far superior to xp anyway. There is a lot of rumour about on the internet at the moment about trying to outlaw opensource. I would like to upgrade my computer to something that has better graphics but I still want to be able to run the opensource stuff I have at the moment. It's beginning to look as if Linux is the way to go.
I am really looking forward to RF2 and I'm really greatful to guys like you putting in so much hard work. God I wish I could code.
AndyCR

Post by AndyCR »

if it werent for my work and rf1, i would switch to linux entirely.

i really dont see how anyone can outlaw open source. open source is the future, or at least a variant of it. software that you can customize completely. if we outlaw free software with source code included, why not outlaw free cookies with the recipe included?

thanks! :D I can't wait till rf2 is done either, i want to work on games with it too, you know :P