my models

Topics relating to Modeling with Reality Factory.
scott

my models

Post by scott »

this is the first complete model I have ever made, i used a cheap program called milkshape. it is very much a work in progress still.
the model is based on the suzuki GSX-R 750
poly count = 5402

this is my second model, this time i have made a mitsubishi lancer evolution VII

this is still a work in progress aswel, but i thought to show you so i could get feed back for any improvments i may need to do

poly count = 7518

i would apreciate any feedback from the comunity.

PS. if nay one wants this moddel i am giving it out for free aslong as the attached document is kept with it, if any one does want it please send me an email and the file type you would like it in and i will do my best to get it to you, please dont forget to leave your email address in the request email

my email address is scottjones999@msn.com

they are probably too high polys for RF but i dont know as i havnt tested them yet.
*GD*
AndyCR

Post by AndyCR »

wow! great models, especially the car! :shock:
Kamazy

Post by Kamazy »

Those models look great :D but kinda high poly for game models.
scott

Post by scott »

if you read my first post i did say they probably was too high, but have a couple of questions,

1. in the next gen games, what are the expected polly count for an actor?

2. what is the polly count i should aim to achive with the current RF?
*GD*
MakerOfGames

Post by MakerOfGames »

The models are a bit high poly. I have a soldier that is around 4000 polys for my game and that seems to high for me. However they can be usable if you deal with LOD distance. You could use those for up close veiwings of the actors but make lower poly models for distant veiws. RF has a LOD manager built in so it wounldnt be hard to do. By the way, nice work!
Think outside the box.
To go on an adventure, one must discard the comforts and safety of the known and trusted.
ZenBudha

Post by ZenBudha »

Polycount is a million dollar question.

Just remember you have to render level polys, effect polys, object poly's.

So while you might be able to to use a 5,000 poly zombie model in a 5,000 poly room. If it was 4 zombies suddenly you have 20,000 polys of zombies + 5,000 for the room.

So the best bet to is to keep everything as low poly as possible. RF is great overall but it's speed is not great. A bad dynamic light placed in a level can be enough to raise the poly count up and cause slow downs.

It also depends on what kind of game your making. 24 frames per second is the absolute minimum for any game short of Solitaire. 30+ framer per second is playable so long as the action is not too fast paced as the low fps rate can cause screen jitter during fast movement which makes some people sick.
60 fps is optimal. Anything over 60 is overkill the human eye won't notice it. 24 fps is ok for movies in theatre's because you staring a bright image in a dark room which creates a natural frame to frame blur because it burns the image into your eye for a micro second or two.

With RF shoot for 30 fps in the worst spots and you should be ok. Meaning you want the game to run about 55-60 fps, and then when the action gets hot and heavy it'll take a fps hit and you'll be running at 25-30 fps.

Next gen games are anywhere from 6,000 - 12,000 depending on the object and it's use along with a normal map to make it look 1,000,000 poly's. However as always it depends on the design of the game.
Fear not the textures for the almighty stylus is with thee - Book of Zen
scott

Post by scott »

thanx for the opinions :D seems that you like them.

is there any comments on how to improve them apart from reduce the poly count for the games?
*GD*
Kamazy

Post by Kamazy »

AAAA..... MMMMM.... OOOOO.......
Nope......
Thay look preaty great just the polys. :D
TyFun Team

my racing game

Post by TyFun Team »

the low polycount its a big deal to me...

i'm used to make cars for games that count with 20000+ and i'm currently making a game for RF, a racing simulation game.

it all goes well but the biggest prob i found its the polycount!!!

i guess if i could make cars with 3000 polys (4 to race simultaniosly) plus the tracks and the effects work at a very good frame rate it will be a pleasure to make one of the biggest game for RF.

but i cant make cars with a great quality because of the framerate speed issue...

if anyone can help me in this matter it would be a real help in the development of the game.

in attachment are two screenshots,
the first one is the quality of car i'm used to make, (20000+ polys)
the second one is the quality i'm making right now, (1973 polys without the wheel polys )i have never tested it in RF but i guess i need to make a car with even less polys if i want to make races with 4 or more cars on-screen...

less than 2000 polys i can't make a car with a good enough quality for a racing game.
Attachments
opel corsa 20000+ polys.jpg
this is the 20000+ polys car
(116.74 KiB) Downloaded 150 times
ferrari 355 2000 polys.jpg
this is the car i'll be testing in RF
(45.27 KiB) Downloaded 173 times
"...ruleZ are made to break, gameZ are made to mod..."
GD1

Post by GD1 »

Great job scott, it's looking very good. your modelling has really improved! :)

Tyfun, excellent job on both car models! 2,000 is a very reasonable polycount for an engine from RF's generation. Remember that if you properly use LOD you can have more detail when the models are up-close, allowing you to fudge on the poly-count a lot more for the base mesh. Also, keep working at the model you have, and remember, a lot of less-detailed small details will catch someone's eyes a lot quicker than an extravagantly done larger detail, like wheels or tail-lights that are perfectly round. still, those models look awesome, I really look forward to playing your game.
Check out my band
Tougher Than Fort Knox
TyFun Team

:)

Post by TyFun Team »

ok, thanks 4 the advice,

we are a little frustrated because of the polycount limiter...
but we are trying to handle the LOD settings so we can add tuning/DTM/GT/rally parts in the cars, if it works great it should be a major improvment in the way models are shown in this or other games.

anyway we still have this message for the users who know how to make a larger polycount limit. if you know how to do (in theory or practice) please help us with everything you can!
"...ruleZ are made to break, gameZ are made to mod..."
scott

Post by scott »

wel i have made cars with indents made already, im not sure what effect would happen or even if it is possible with actors within rf, but wouldnt it be possible to bump map the models so we can leave half the polys out for the majour shape and just use bump maping instead, im not sure on how to do bump maping other than you need a grey scale image to create it, and i rmember reading up on it ages ago but i have been modeling alot for ages now and havnt used RF due to this so i cant remember but i rmember being able to do somit with static meshes that u cant do with actors, but even if you cant bump map actors is there a possibility of doing so in the future with RF?

here is my car with a lic of paint :)

*GD*
scott

Post by scott »

:D i finaly got round to finishing the mitsubishi :D

poly count is a little high, not gona bother improving it any more, any one wants it they can, just email me, poly count is now 7348, i would say a few could be taken out with NO loss of detail, just mistakes i made when creating it, dont forget this is my first ever model.

*GD*
scott

Post by scott »

ohh, i have also been busy with a person, and i have made mistakes where polys could be lower but this is my first human that i have made, any comments would be cool.

and also been working on a house, this isnt in RF but am going to import the features into RF and build the house in RF

i am working on a honda s2000 and will post a pic of it when its looking a bit like it :)
*GD*
Kamazy

Post by Kamazy »

Nice. :)
Good job. :D
8)