Jumping into black.

Post topics regarding Level Building/Design and Entity Usage with Reality Factory
incenseman2003

Jumping into black.

Post by incenseman2003 »

I made a level that has a 2 story tower with embattlements on the top. There is a latter that goes from the first floor to the second, and then another that goes from the second floor to the top where the ambattlements are. When I am on the first floor and I jump the ceiling stops me from jumping the full distance of what the player can do. However when I am on the second floor and I jump I end up in pitch black and cannot get out of it. The same thing happens when I climb the later to the top of the tower. The level that the tower is on is three times higher than the tower, so I know that I am not jumping out of the level. If there is anyone that can tell me why this is happening and how to fix it, please do.

Also, Is there a way to enable the player to look straight up and down as well as all around? I noticed that the player can look every direction but straight up or down.

While I still have hair. :lol:
Patience and tolerance are the keys to the passage of knowledge. Even those that are the most knowledgeable started with many questions.
AndyCR

Post by AndyCR »

1. dont know, though i do know that the collision detection is messed up-nonexistant on the players head, so it probebly goes up all the way, with no collision detection, then tried to come back down and the feet DO have collision detection, detect the cieling-now-a-floor and stop, leaving you there. just a theory.

2. in camera.ini, it's under general:
; maximum angle (in degrees) that camera can look up
lookupangle = 35
; maximum angle (in degrees) that camera can look down
lookdownangle = 35
change to:

Code: Select all

; maximum angle (in degrees) that camera can look up
lookupangle = 90
; maximum angle (in degrees) that camera can look down
lookdownangle = 90
incenseman2003

Post by incenseman2003 »

AndyCR,

the angle change in the camera.ini paid off. Thanks!!!

However, If the jumping through the ceiling into blackness from the second floor has to do with the collision then why doesnt it happen on the first floor also? Remember that it also happens when I climb the latter to the top of the tower from insde the tower. I understand that makes it even more confusing. Leave it to me to find the most confusing issues. If someone could please try this and tell me if they get the same result, that would at least tell me that Im not out of my freakin mind. :lol: :lol:

Edit:
I fixed the latter issue by placing a casing around the latter. Now I have the player climbing the latter in a vertical shute type thing. This prevents the player from bumping thier haed on the ceiling and going into the void.
Seems to work so far.

As for why the player ends up in the black void by jumping up on the second floor but not the first. I have no clue. I just made the ceiling for the second floor to high to hit while jumping. I am very curious as to why that happens on one floor and not the other though.
Patience and tolerance are the keys to the passage of knowledge. Even those that are the most knowledgeable started with many questions.
AndyCR

Post by AndyCR »

no problem. :D

i have no idea. thats really really wierd. :? :shock:
incenseman2003

Post by incenseman2003 »

I created a one story room and suspeded it in the air at the second story level and jumped up from the floor and again found myself in the black void.

It seems that my thoery seems to be correct.
Juutis

Post by Juutis »

I've had this jumping problem too. I got stuck in that black void ALWAYS when I jumped and hit the ceiling. However this problem seems to have gone away all by itself... it really is wierd.
Pain is only psychological.
incenseman2003

Post by incenseman2003 »

I have discovered today that this phenomenon only happens when the players head hits a flat suface that is higher than standard one story structure. If the the cieling is made of timbers positioned corner down and the player cannot hit the true flat ceiling then all seems fine. I will continue to play with this a bit and see how many work arounds I can find.
animatrix

Post by animatrix »

I think it only happens with virgil, but not sure..
Juutis

Post by Juutis »

It has happened to me with other models than virgil.
Pain is only psychological.
incenseman2003

Post by incenseman2003 »

I have the following issues. If anyone has a fix or clue would you please post it here.

Issue 1) If I put 2 ladders up, one on top of the other, and get to the top of the bottom ladder I end up in the black void then to and cannot get to the second latter. This does not happen if I put up a ladder zone with no ladders in it. Is there any way to fix this?

Issue 2) Im having issues with ladders working for a short time and then they just stop working (This does not happen if I put up a ladder zone with no ladders in it), and I cannot jump anymore and have trouble entering doorways. This all happens all at once and at the same time. In short Things just seem to stop working.

Issue 3) I have levels crash and leave no log and the only error is the generic windows error.

BTW:
What does "*WARNING* CollectLeafVisBits: Leaf:0 can see himself!" mean?

Edit 11:09 AM 4/3/2006

I have searched the forum, the help files forRFEditPro and the online docs.

I cannot find any mention of the following that are of any help:

CollectLeafVisBits
LeafVisBits
LeafVis
VisBits
Leaf

the only reference to collection pretains to groups. That wouldnt make any sense as that has nothing to do with the above error as I have read that document.

So it seems that I have an error that has no defined meaning.

Edit 10:02 AM 4/5/2006 Concerning the black void:
I have found that if the cieling is at a slight slant, even just a degree or so, the player does not end up in the black void when their head hits the cieling.
Anteater

Post by Anteater »

I'm having problems with ladders making actors go into the void too.
incenseman2003

Post by incenseman2003 »

I have all but abandoned ladders. I use the stairs and get better results. I have been experimenting with making the stairs alomst flat against the wall, leaving just enough to climb on. It has replaced ladders in some cases. In other cases it didnt let the player climb. Im sure it has something to do with how you use them. I dont have all the details yet, still trying different methods.
hike1
RF FAQ-Keeper

Post by hike1 »

RF FAQ http://terrymorgan.net/rffaq.zip

Demos tuts http://terrymorgan.net/download.htm

Asylum demo has ladders galore, the .3dt's are also available
for study. I solved the ceiling thing by lowering the gravity
and jumpspeed.

http://terrymorgan.net/asylum.htm
incenseman2003

Post by incenseman2003 »

I have been throught asylum demo and thought it was pretty well done. I however dont remember seeing any ladders that were stacked. There were plenty of single ladders though.
hike1
RF FAQ-Keeper

Post by hike1 »

ladders that were stacked.

Just make 1 big long ladder.

The leaf vis bit thing means nothing, doesn't affect your
level running or not.