Poll ended at Sun Jun 04, 2006 8:33 am

Wikis Default (HTML)
30%
PDF
70%

Total votes: 10

Robin

Post by Robin »

Nobody else that think this is a good idea and want to start the project?
jonas

Post by jonas »

I'm still working on it. If that's what your wondering. If its going to be good it won't just come up over night. It might even take up to a year. The best thing to do is experiment. Download some demo's look over the scripts and the levels.
Jonas

Focused, hard work is the real key to success. Keep your eyes on the goal, and just keep taking the next step towards completing it. If you aren't sure which way to do something, do it both ways and see which works better. - John Carmack
AndyCR

Post by AndyCR »

I think its a good idea, but I'm tied up with RF2 right now.
Robin

Post by Robin »

Jonas maybe you can put up your work at wikibooks so everyone cn contribute something. I am experimenting a lil bit now.

Andy what do you mean with RF2? Do you mean Reality Factory 2? If you do aren't RF on version 0.75 now?

The level editor in the book is it similiar to RFs current editor?
AndyCR

Post by AndyCR »

I've been working on a complete rewrite of RF for some time now, which I've called RF2, though I'm not entirely sure on the final name of it. See this thread: viewtopic.php?t=613
Robin

Post by Robin »

Still no wiki-book, I've thought that maybe there would be a lil wikipedia article on it but no. So please make a book or atleast an article.
MakerOfGames

Post by MakerOfGames »

I just started writing up some docs related to this this evening. I started from square one and am writing a general intro to RF and and overveiw of its features. After that section there will be some chapters on game design, level design, and story writing. These chapters are to inspire and get the readers thinking. They will contain good ideas that I have gotten from gamedev.net and personal opinions. After this, there is the RF How To section that will be what the current manual contains. And to finish it off will be the how to's by all us members.

That is my idea and general plan. Dont count on me for this project though. I dont have much free time to write an entire RF book. I will contribute to it though.

I'll have to upload the doc once I get a few chapters finished.
Think outside the box.
To go on an adventure, one must discard the comforts and safety of the known and trusted.
Robin

Post by Robin »

Wohoo someone starting it. I think the most important thing is that you do a table of content and then the people with experience in RF would join you and contribute to it. But you are the one that makes it so you decide.
MakerOfGames

Post by MakerOfGames »

Dont worry about ease of use. That is a key thing I will make sure is there. There already is a table of contents with a tentative 23 chapters!!!! The first 15 are genreal information about RF which I will write myself untill I release it to the community. Then all of the members here can read it, modify it, make comments, etc.

I am writting it in Microsoft Word. Is there any problem with this? Because otherwise it will need converted to another format.

Here is a sneak peek at the information that is included in my table of contents:

Code: Select all

The Guide

Preface	Notes from the Authors
Chap 1	Introduction
Chap 2	What Is Reality Factory?
Chap 3	Before You Start
Chap 4	3D Authoring Software
Chap 5	2D Painting Software
Chap 6	The Basics
Chap 7	Sounds
Chap 8	Creating Worlds
Chap 9	Scripting
Chap 10	Now What?
Chap 11	Game Design Overview
Chap 12	Game Play
Chap 13	Level Design Tips
Chap 14	Story and Plot
Chap 15	Story vs. Game Play

Code: Select all

RF How To’s
Chap 16	Scripted Player
Chap 17	Level of Detail
Chap 18	Particle Effects and Rain
Chap 19	Fog
Chap 20	Advanced Lighting
Chap 21	Bump Mapping
Chap 22	Shininess, Mirrors, and Glass
Chap 23	Physics
I must everyone know that the entire RF How To's table of contents is not set in stone at all. I just wanted to write down some important things that I thought would be nessicary to be in the guide so it wouldn't be forgotten. This portion of the guide will be writen entirely by the users of RF. Now whether the information is somthing you write up or just a copy of the RF manual, this section will have to be completed by the community.
Think outside the box.
To go on an adventure, one must discard the comforts and safety of the known and trusted.
Robin

Post by Robin »

MakerOfGames wrote:Now whether the information is somthing you write up or just a copy of the RF manual, this section will have to be completed by the community.
I ain't sure but I don't think you are allowed to copy material to wikibook without the permission of the owner. But I ain't sure.
MakerOfGames

Post by MakerOfGames »

I did not mean to imply copying the text from the old RF book. I meant that you could copy the text from the old RF pdfs and web page docs. We cant have copyright infringement.
Think outside the box.
jonas

Post by jonas »

I can host the book at the rf resource site I've made that has 1gig of space.

I'm glad you were able to get a basic layout of the book that will help, I wasn't able to get that so I couldn't decide were to start lol. I'll help an in way you need, proof reader I could help you write some of the chapters. Just let me know and I'll work on it.
Jonas

Focused, hard work is the real key to success. Keep your eyes on the goal, and just keep taking the next step towards completing it. If you aren't sure which way to do something, do it both ways and see which works better. - John Carmack
Robin

Post by Robin »

MakerOfGames wrote:I did not mean to imply copying the text from the old RF book. I meant that you could copy the text from the old RF pdfs and web page docs. We cant have copyright infringement.
It sounds like you're going to copy some from the RF manual (I don't mean the book) and have that in the Wikibook but that ain't allowed (I think) without the authors permission.
MakerOfGames

Post by MakerOfGames »

Are not the authors of all the docs that come in RF written by the community? Or were they taken from the RF Book? Anyone know who wrote the RF Docs that are included in the RF download? (in the RF main folder there is a folder called docs, contains alot of html files that are tuts and valuble info). I was and still am refering to copying these docs and not the RF book. I thought that these docs(not the book) were open source or whatever you would call them because they came in RF. Well, if we cant copy these docs its ok, it just means someone will have to basically rewrite them(making them more user freindly of course) for the wikibook.
Think outside the box.
hike1
RF FAQ-Keeper

Post by hike1 »

There's no names associated with any of the docs, so who are you going to get permission from?