RF 2 Discussion

Discuss the development of Reality Factory 2
wackedoutbiker

Post by wackedoutbiker »

Are any of the items from the old RF going to be compatible with RF2? (such as the 3d models, maps, scripts, etc.) Right now it's not an issue with me, as I'm swamped in college work and am planning on a smaller 2D version of the game first, but I just thought I might mention it.
More atrocities are committed in the name of that which is holy and righteous than that which is wicked and evil
AndyCR

Post by AndyCR »

not directly, but i plan to write converters if i have time (though scripts will be).
Cynnical

Post by Cynnical »

hey andy do you think you might be able to give a list of the new engine features you plan on adding??
AndyCR

Post by AndyCR »

I don't think we have the time to read it or write it :lol:

A very general overview:

Reality Factory:

New engine (Irrlicht)
New drivers (Opengl, direct3d9, direct3d8, software, and old software)
Shaders
parallax mapping (virtual displacement mapping)
windows, mac, and linux support
greatly enhanced stability
native support for many popular model formats
native support for most popular image formats
anything can be put in vfs file equivalent
streamlined code design (most useful for developers, but useful for users in the form of less bugs and more frequent updates)
vast speed enhancements
models and level geometry treated almost the same
(if i have time) physics engine
(if i have time) multiplayer support
SithMaster

Post by SithMaster »

quick nobody bother him and everyone take over parts of his life like his job, walking pets, buying food, and the like so he has more time.
The brightest light casts the darkest shadow.
Burn the heretic. Kill the mutant. Purge the unclean.
Cynnical

Post by Cynnical »

will the engine also be including the latest graphical features like dynamic shadows, per pixel lighting, etc??
AndyCR

Post by AndyCR »

yes, and dont forget the tea. 2 level teaspoons pg tips per 16 onces water, boil water at least 10 seconds before adding to leaves, steep 4 minutes, fill cup with about 1.25 inches of milk and quite a bit of sugar, sit teapot ontop of cup (it has a valve on the bottom), stir, then sit on my coaster. repeat every 30 minutes. at night(9PM till 4 AM), use 1 teaspoon gunpowder green tea, or chai (2 parts chai to 1 part milk) instead. thanks. :)

oh yes, i forgot to mention. stencil buffer shadows, per-pixel lighting, by the time its released it should support about 255 dynamic lights on at one time (if irrlicht 0.15.0 is out by then, i certainly imagine it will be). i'm exploring possibilities for lighting effects.

in other news, it apears Borealis(my desktop) is dead, at least to serious rf2 development. the video card seems to have died, but only partially, so it will run some programs but not others. in addition, the cpu is reaching 61c. guess what programs it dosent like to run anymore? you guessed it! rf1 and rf2 in linux. sigh. works fine in windows, but id rather keep my penguin, thank you. i need to order a new case with cooling (im using an old pentium 2 233 mhz case with no fans with the sides and top off) and a gig of ram (one stick died, and so im left with 256mb)... back to my integrated graphics notebook, Corona... sigh...

in addition, rf2 is going through another rough time. it seems to be a cycle, good time bad time etc. trying to refactor the menu code. it was all in one 800+ line file a bit ago and that was getting unhandleable.
steven8

Post by steven8 »

Andy, I can't tell you how excited I am about what you are achieving with RF2. I love the irrlicht engine and have fiddled with it myself. I am a windows man, myself, and do not have any desire to move to linux. I like irrlicht because I am a vb.net programmer, and is one of the few engines which have been ported over. It and revolution3d. Irrlicht has some mighty sweet features.

Thanks for all your work.
AndyCR

Post by AndyCR »

No problem! Thanks for your kind words, they mean alot! :D

The build log of RF2 grows longer every day... :)

Code: Select all

g++ -c -o realityfactory.o realityfactory.cpp -I"../../../irrlicht-0.14.0/include" -I"/usr/X11R6/include"
g++ -c -o commondata.o commondata.cpp -I"../../../irrlicht-0.14.0/include" -I"/usr/X11R6/include"
g++ -c -o inireader.o inireader.cpp -I"../../../irrlicht-0.14.0/include" -I"/usr/X11R6/include"
g++ -c -o logwriter.o logwriter.cpp -I"../../../irrlicht-0.14.0/include" -I"/usr/X11R6/include"
g++ -c -o utility.o utility.cpp -I"../../../irrlicht-0.14.0/include" -I"/usr/X11R6/include"
g++ -c -o menu.o menu.cpp -I"../../../irrlicht-0.14.0/include" -I"/usr/X11R6/include"
g++ -c -o menuelementloader.o menuelementloader.cpp -I"../../../irrlicht-0.14.0/include" -I"/usr/X11R6/include"
g++ -c -o menupage.o menupage.cpp -I"../../../irrlicht-0.14.0/include" -I"/usr/X11R6/include"
g++ -c -o menupagemain.o menupagemain.cpp -I"../../../irrlicht-0.14.0/include" -I"/usr/X11R6/include"
g++ -c -o menubackground.o menubackground.cpp -I"../../../irrlicht-0.14.0/include" -I"/usr/X11R6/include"
g++ -c -o menutitle.o menutitle.cpp -I"../../../irrlicht-0.14.0/include" -I"/usr/X11R6/include"
g++ -c -o menutext.o menutext.cpp -I"../../../irrlicht-0.14.0/include" -I"/usr/X11R6/include"
g++ -c -o menubutton.o menubutton.cpp -I"../../../irrlicht-0.14.0/include" -I"/usr/X11R6/include"
g++ -c -o menucheckbox.o menucheckbox.cpp -I"../../../irrlicht-0.14.0/include" -I"/usr/X11R6/include"
g++ -c -o menuslider.o menuslider.cpp -I"../../../irrlicht-0.14.0/include" -I"/usr/X11R6/include"
g++ -o ../realityfactory realityfactory.o commondata.o inireader.o logwriter.o utility.o menu.o menuelementloader.o menupage.o menupagemain.o menubackground.o menutitle.o menutext.o menubutton.o menucheckbox.o menuslider.o -I"../../../irrlicht-0.14.0/include" -I"/usr/X11R6/include" -L"/usr/X11R6/lib" -L"../../../irrlicht-0.14.0/lib/Linux" -lIrrlicht -lGL -lGLU -lXxf86vm -lXext -lX11
Last edited by AndyCR on Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wackedoutbiker

Post by wackedoutbiker »

A converter sounds great. So does that mean I can make all my game content with RF1 formats (.act, .map, etc?) and get all of it into this new engine with minimal effort? Because it would be a pain in the (edited: minors browse here) butt to have to wait to develop my game.
More atrocities are committed in the name of that which is holy and righteous than that which is wicked and evil
AndyCR

Post by AndyCR »

it should. the most incompatible format will be levels, which will be nearly impossible to convert due to so many extra faces. i need to decide how i'm going to optimize faces before I know. I'm not making any garuntees of compatibility whatsoever, but I'm going to try.
AndyCR

Post by AndyCR »

I just got word that version 1.0 of RF2's engine, Irrlicht, has been released. Yay!
Cynnical

Post by Cynnical »

yayyy!

andy u know when ur finished u should make a donate here button cause id definately send a 5er your way big guy.

<3
AndyCR

Post by AndyCR »

I might. Thanks!

I haven't felt well the last couple days, bad headaches, which don't lend themselves well to programming, so not that much progress to tell about at the moment.
AndyCR

Post by AndyCR »

RF2's going well. I just started re-adding the button actions using the new menu code.