Poll ended at Sun Jun 04, 2006 8:33 am

Wikis Default (HTML)
30%
PDF
70%

Total votes: 10

MakerOfGames

Post by MakerOfGames »

I'm sorry, I have been so busy lately I havent been on these forums. I will upload the book sometime within the next 2 days. (Hopefully later today when I have time.) After i do, everyone please download it and read it and post your thoughts on it. Also let me know of any errors, spelling, grammer, etc...
Think outside the box.
To go on an adventure, one must discard the comforts and safety of the known and trusted.
jonas

Post by jonas »

I understand you being busy. I haven't really been real busy till this week, we are moving to another house. So I'm having to pack and unpack stuff, and don't get that much time on the computer. I think I might write a chapter on scripting.
Jonas

Focused, hard work is the real key to success. Keep your eyes on the goal, and just keep taking the next step towards completing it. If you aren't sure which way to do something, do it both ways and see which works better. - John Carmack
Robin

Post by Robin »

What name will the book have?
jonas

Post by jonas »

The Complete RealityFactory Manual?
Jonas

Focused, hard work is the real key to success. Keep your eyes on the goal, and just keep taking the next step towards completing it. If you aren't sure which way to do something, do it both ways and see which works better. - John Carmack
MakerOfGames

Post by MakerOfGames »

Here it is. The start of the new RF Guide. I gave it a basic name of Reality Factory Guide: User Compilation ver. 1. The name can change. Tell me what you think.

Jonas, do whatever chapters that you want that are not completed. My suggestion is do whatever you have the most knowledge in.

Im sorry, I havent gotten the pdf thing yet so its still in Word. I'll go download that pdf file changer asap.
Think outside the box.
To go on an adventure, one must discard the comforts and safety of the known and trusted.
bernie
RF Moderator

Post by bernie »

Why does it have to be in PDF format wouldn' it be better in a format every one can read like .doc ? PLEASE put it out in word too when you do the final release pdf is such a pain.
steven8

Post by steven8 »

Actually, with Acrobat Reader and other free PDF readers available to anyone with an internet connection, meaning all of us who are here and will come here, it is 100% the best way to go. Even though I like the small size of a DOC file compared to PDF, PDF offers bookmarks and such that make them very user friendly. I hated PDF at first, but have grown quite fond of it.

I think it would be good to have the book available in both formats. If you make the PDF from a DOC, just upload both.
Robin

Post by Robin »

Why not just writing it like every other wiki. Then everyone with an internet connection look at them without Acrobat reader or other pdf readers.
MakerOfGames

Post by MakerOfGames »

I am not to fond of the other wiki books. I tried reading the wiki book on Blender and it seemed to cumbersome to read. The thing I dont like about wiki books is that you have to load webpages to jump from section to section which slows you down. I know it doesnt slow you down much, but I like to have that instant result. Browsing over pages in Word is much more satisfying than load, browse page, load, browse page, load, browse page. Also, I find it easier to read outside of a web page. I dont know why, but I just find it easier to read in Word for example.

My opinion on pdfs is neutral. They are not bad. But they seem cumbersome at times. If this book would go the wiki book route, I would also want it in a downloadable format to browse in word or pdf viewer. Not everyone is always connected to the net either, it is nice to have a manual to browse when your not online.
Think outside the box.
Robin

Post by Robin »

Let's set up a poll: wiki default VS pdf. Let's have it running for 2 weeks that would probably be enough time or everyone who want to vote.
scott

Post by scott »

why dont we have one copy in each, keep everyone happy. wouldnt be to hard to do right? and we are talking about a few MB its not likeits going to overload the webspace available (if there is a limit)
*GD*
bernie
RF Moderator

Post by bernie »

This poll is VERY unfair I don't want Either wiki or pdf just the standard word docs that erveryone can use. Acrobat reader is full of spyware and is an absolute pain to use as the page numbers NEVER line up correctly with the contents table. From what people say about wiki its not even worth the trouble.
Just what is wrong with a word doc you can use in open office or as a last resort MS word.
At least give us a chance to vote on a word doc as well as the other two.
jonas

Post by jonas »

I agree with bernie on the wiki thing, it does seem kinda crazy to stick a book in a wiki. Isn't a wiki so other people can comment on everything? So it would be more, for just a bunch of articles. We should have the book in pdf and ms word.

Just a note bernie ms word is just as dangerous, with the macros.

I have a suggestion for the layout of the book. Instead of having a chapter for everything group the like things into sub chapters like so.

Code: Select all

Chapter 1  Getting Started
          1.1  What is Realityfactory?
          1.2  System Requirements
          1.3  The Tools

Chapter 2  Creating Actors
Chapter 3  Creating Levels
Chapter 4  Using enities
Chapter 5  Scripting
          5.1  Pawns

Chapter 6  Conversations
Chapter 7  The menu
Chapter 8  Heads up Display
Chapter 9  Effects
Chapter 10 Advanced Features
          10.1 Lighting
          10.2 Level of Detail
          10.3 Bump-Mapping
          10.4 Shininess, mirrors and glass.

Appendix I   Legal
Appendix II  3D modelling software
Appendix III 2D Painting
Appendix IV  Sound Software
Appendix V   Tricks and Tips
Appendix VI  Tutorials
Appendix VII FAQ

Jonas

MakerOfGames

Post by MakerOfGames »

Good idea jonas. I like that better than my grouping.
Think outside the box.
jonas

Post by jonas »

Thanks. We can add as many sub chapters as we want. I refered to a couple of programming doc's and that's the way they did it. I'll upload what I have done tommorow if I get the chance.
Jonas