Vertex manipulation?

Post topics regarding Level Building/Design and Entity Usage with Reality Factory
StandardDeviant

Vertex manipulation?

Post by StandardDeviant »

I'm starting a proof-of-concept demo for a game that I have, well, a concept of. And I've hit sort of a brick wall - there is no vertex manipulation in RfEditPro that I know of. All I can do is boxes and boxes and boxes, which is definitely not what this concept entails.

How would I go about setting up, say, WorldCraft for editing my levels? I have some experience (years ago) with this editor, and I've read that it can be used with RF. Will I just be setting up the level geometry in WC and then texturing and putting in entities via RFEditPro? Or is there a way I can do it all in one?
hike1
RF FAQ-Keeper

Post by hike1 »

GD1

Post by GD1 »

to be honest, vertex editing isn't all it's cracked up to be. the next-gen project i'm working on now is currently using the Q3Radiant editor until we can finish our own editor. the vertex editing is probably the one feature i use the least.

if you work at it, the primitives in RF edit pro can be created to nearly any size and shape you could possibly need. take careful note of the menu on the right side of the screen when creating level geometry. learn this menu and you will forget vertex editing ever existed.
Check out my band
Tougher Than Fort Knox
disscombobilated

Post by disscombobilated »

Milkshape and MAX have vertex editing, try making a big empty box, skying all 6 sides and fill in the rest with SEPs and static meshes. you can normal map the SEPs and set collision on the meshes. over all they make for a much nicer looking level. and bonus, the framerates better providing you have a good g-card
Jay
RF Dev Team

Post by Jay »

framerate is just better because StaticMeshes and SEPs don't have lightmapping applied to them. But StaticMeshes and SEPs can look pretty nice too even when you disable the lighting using a FillColor.
Everyone can see the difficult, but only the wise can see the simple.
-----