I'm newbie

Discuss any other topics here
LtForce

Post by LtForce »

Thanks for help :) ,this time I searched for answer in other posts, but haven't found the answer, so here is the question: is it possible to create a field sorrounded by mountains and there would be sky in the top? Because in all other demos that I have downloaded everything is made like rooms, no fields(sorry for terrible gramatics, english is not my native language)
Juutis

Post by Juutis »

Yes, it is possible. The skydome entity creates a very nice sky effect. However, RF can't handle massive open areas very well, at least without far clipping. I think I remember seeing some outdoor screenshots around here somewhere...
Pain is only psychological.
LtForce

Post by LtForce »

I trie 3days but still can't figure out how that skydome workd, cause even if I make a really small open are and then put skydome it shows error. Tutorial please :oops: . And if it would be with screenshots you would be my hero :wink:
hike1
RF FAQ-Keeper

Post by hike1 »

LtForce

Post by LtForce »

Thanks
Lithuanians for Georgia!
LtForce

Post by LtForce »

Ok, it seems to be working, but I can't make even a tiny open are. That's what rf writes:
** BSP Compile Version: 15
** Build Date/Time: Jan 31 2005,06:32:56
--- Load Brush File ---
Num Solid Brushes : 265
Num Cut Brushes : 0
Num Hollow Cut Brushes : 0
Num Detail Brushes : 0
Num Total Brushes : 267
**WARNING** BuildBSP: Brush with NULL volume
**WARNING** BuildBSP: Brush with NULL volume
--- Remove Hidden Leafs ---
* *** LEAK *** *
* Level is NOT sealed. *
* Optimal removal will not be performed.*
--- WriteLeakFile ---
Occupied : 97
Num Points : 1
Pos1 = 4
Pos2 = 20
Failed to remove hidden leafs.
Compile Failed: GBSP_CreateBSP encountered an error, GBSPLib.Dll.
Lithuanians for Georgia!
Jay
RF Dev Team

Post by Jay »

I suppose you've made a 'real' open area? I mean you haven't used any brushes around your level?

Doing this is not possible.

An 'open' area is an area where you have a hollow cube around your level and every face of it has got the 'sky' attribute. (select the cube, then go to 'face adjustement' mode; you will see that your brushing is getting another color; there you can select the 'sky' attribute; now every 'face' of the cube has got the 'sky' attribtue)

If this is not the case, then somewhere your level has a place where it leads into the 'darkness' e.g. the 'void', the thing that is outside the level...(don't know how to describe 'nothing');
Everyone can see the difficult, but only the wise can see the simple.
-----
steven8

Post by steven8 »

Yes, a skybox is made with a cube which seals the level, and is set to sky. In case you haven't messed with face attributes, select the cube and press the Page Down key. This will turn your cube purple and allow you to change the face attributes for the brush. Any one face or all at once as we are going to do here. Check Sky in the upper set of check boxes and click the Apply button at the bottom.

When you rebuild the BSP, the box will turn solid blue in the 3D view pane. In Template Mode, click the Adjust Sky button and you can apply textures to each face of the sky.

Now, as you have stated in this post, you want to use the skydome entity. You STILL need the box around your level, even with the skydome, but it does not need to be set to sky. Make your box, press Page Down, and click the transparent radio button near the bottom and set the number in the textbox below it to 1 (it won't accept 0 anyway.). Then click apply. You will see the box in your 3D pane, but it won't render in the engine, and you will just see your beautiful skydome.

Oh yes, watch the height of your buildings in relation to the radius of the skydome. I have had it shear off the top a a building before.

Most distressing.

P.S. - Once a brush is purple, you can move from face to face using the right and left arrow keys. That is the easiest way to select individual faces for adjustment that I have found.
LtForce

Post by LtForce »

Is it possible to create a MMOG with RF(not many players, I just need three)?
Lithuanians for Georgia!
Juutis

Post by Juutis »

I think the multiplayer doesn't work currently. So no.
Pain is only psychological.
LtForce

Post by LtForce »

I made some objects with MilkShape and when I put them to RF and play it those objects are stuck in ground(even if I turn off gravity), but they look ok when making level
Lithuanians for Georgia!
steven8

Post by steven8 »

Setting the SubjecttoGravity or Gravity to false doesn't mean your object will float off the ground. It means they won't fall to the ground if they start in the air. Simply put, if you want your gun attribute or static entity proxy to hover off the ground, then just place it at a good height off the ground and set the gravity to false.

How is your skydome coming along?
LtForce

Post by LtForce »

steven8 the 2nd wrote: How is your skydome coming along?
Wonderful, thanks for asking. Now there's a beautiful sun rising above my castle. But I still have some problems:
1) How do I put guns to my character
s inventory?
2)My object(table) still floats in wrong angle if I put a little above the ground, but if I put it on the ground it's still stuck in it
3) I downloaded some characters but if I put them to game they are walking with face stuck in ground(even if I put player start in the air) but it works good on Nout and Frederico(other characters)
Lithuanians for Georgia!
steven8

Post by steven8 »

When you say the character is 'stuck' in the ground, do you mean you can't move the object? If this is the issue, and you are using the StaticEntityProxy, then set bCanPush property to True. Otherwise, I'm not sure just what you mean.

As for your characters being face down, that is the ActorRotation property. This was in another thread:

Set the rotation to this:

X = -90
Y = 180
Z = 0

I am still trying to get the guns into my actor's hands, too. I have world models in there, and can pick them up, but just can't get them to show up when I arm him. I've read the manual and the FAQ's, and done the copy paste and put my weapon's name, anims, etc in place but no go. I'll keep working on it, and I'll post when I have success. I haven't done this in awhile and I am a little rusty.
LtForce

Post by LtForce »

Thanks for help but I set actor rotation to 0 180 0 and now it works great :lol:
Lithuanians for Georgia!