Terrain in RFEditPro

Post topics regarding Level Building/Design and Entity Usage with Reality Factory
LukasH

Terrain in RFEditPro

Post by LukasH »

Hi,
I would like to place an terrain in my Level in RFEditPro.
Should I make it with a 3d Program (like Milkshape,Cinema4d)
and then import into RfEditPro?
And when, How can I do this

steven8

Post by steven8 »

Make it in Milkshape, export as a bdy, make it into an actor, then use the staticmesh entity to bring it into your world. Read the manual to tell you how to set the collision property, so your actors can move around on it.
scott

Post by scott »

milkshape is one way of doing it but for wide open terrain i would get a terrain generator such as the one in RF folder, if you want the exact layout designed by you then 3d programme is good but needs to be .BSP or else it will slow your frames per second down, this will remove all non esentual polygons until needed where as for .act files that you import RF will load the entire thing as one and will always load all of it even if a little bit is seen. if its possible try using the RFeditpro for terrain and use your 3d modeling programmes for such things as bottles, things that are small or are high detail.
*GD*
Spyrewolf

Post by Spyrewolf »

one simple way of creating terrain in RF is with the skydome this is one of the most underlooked features in RF,

the only thing it is missing is the collision code, if you can create a terrain say in something like studio max and are able to produce a height map with it you could export it directly to the skydome, then produce some invisible geometry for the collision,

i've found results vary, but are pretty good with a bit of tweaking.

the most tried and true method still will be the static mesh and producing similar Lod's but this is a heck of a lot of work, im hoping to try out a method similar to the way oblivion renders its world by rendering a grid and rendering LOD's depending on what section your in.

this should be no problem with LOD's hopefully we can recreate the illusion of expansive terrains.

the only problem currently with terrains is the Editors which run too slowly, this is helped with "groups and hiding" somewhat.
steven8

Post by steven8 »

Yeah, Spyrewolf, I keep forgetting about that heightmap as part of the skydome. I just threw my night sky texture on there when building a level once, and had all these tall white spikes all over the place. it was the stars!! :shock:
LukasH

Thanks

Post by LukasH »

Thanks for your answers.
I will try it.
Lukas Hoesch
steven8

Post by steven8 »

Show us some screens when you get it in there.