Secondary attacks?

Discuss any other topics here
Juutis

Secondary attacks?

Post by Juutis »

I'm not sure where to post this exactly but it's really not about level editing/modeling/scripting so the only place left is here. :)

Can weapons have secondary attacks in RF? Like a M4 with a grenade launcher or something... You can set a key for alt attack but nothing about them is mentioned in the manual (exept for those alternate attacks for melee weapons... which is a bit different thing).
Pain is only psychological.
Kamazy

Post by Kamazy »

Anything is posible with the right scripts. :D
Juutis

Post by Juutis »

Yeah well I'm using something like half-scripted weapons but making a secondary attack would cause awful lot of work and I'm lazy... :D
Kamazy

Post by Kamazy »

You can try attaching a script weapon to a real weapon.
But it might be easier just to make the whole weapon with scripts.
Juutis

Post by Juutis »

...but still: Why is there a key for alternate attack if that attack can't be defined anywhere? :?
hike1
RF FAQ-Keeper

Post by hike1 »

I think the 'alternate attack' key is for a different animation of
the same weapon, I think the default sword does something different if you press a different mouse button, for example.
GD1

Post by GD1 »

there really is no alternate attack. if you define an alt attack animation for a melee weapon it will pick between the two animations randomly. otherwise it will only use the one.
Check out my band
Tougher Than Fort Knox
wackedoutbiker

Post by wackedoutbiker »

Hey this may be a bit off topic but does anyone know where I can find an example of a scripted player so that I can do the secondary weapon thing? I know we got one laying around somewhere...
More atrocities are committed in the name of that which is holy and righteous than that which is wicked and evil
jonas

Post by jonas »

Are you wanting the secondary attack to be like clubbing someone with a pistol or something?
Jonas

Focused, hard work is the real key to success. Keep your eyes on the goal, and just keep taking the next step towards completing it. If you aren't sure which way to do something, do it both ways and see which works better. - John Carmack
steven8

Post by steven8 »

The altattack is defined in the weapon.ini. You create two different attack animations for the weapon, then define them as:

attackanim="shoot1"
altattackanim="shoot2"

Maybe not the exact syntax, but you'll see it when you go look. Then you set a key or button for each and RF plays the anim when the correct key or mouse button is made.
Juutis

Post by Juutis »

Oh nice, this topic is alive again. :)

Yeah, what I wanted at the time of posting this topic was mainly like a grenade launcher for an assault rifle or something like that. So it would shoot a different projectile with alt attack.

As GD1 said it:
there really is no alternate attack. if you define an alt attack animation for a melee weapon it will pick between the two animations randomly. otherwise it will only use the one.
So the only option left is scripted weapons...
QuestOfDreams
Site Admin

Post by QuestOfDreams »

Yeah, what I wanted at the time of posting this topic was mainly like a grenade launcher for an assault rifle or something like that. So it would shoot a different projectile with alt attack.
Something like this (alternate damage, blocking attacks) was planned but never got implemented, maybe one day...
AndyCR

Post by AndyCR »

I remember one of Gekido's demos had to have a rifle with a grenade launcher, and he just made 2 seperate weapons with the same model and different functionality... Ugly, but it worked.