Poll ended at Sun Jun 04, 2006 8:33 am

Wikis Default (HTML)
30%
PDF
70%

Total votes: 10

Robin

Post by Robin »

Have you put up the book? I can't find it.
MakerOfGames

Post by MakerOfGames »

Here ya go! A direct link to book. It should open a download window, if not let me know.
RF Book
Think outside the box.
To go on an adventure, one must discard the comforts and safety of the known and trusted.
MakerOfGames

Post by MakerOfGames »

This section has been silent for too long. The book was downloaded 49 times. Any comments, questions etc...?
Think outside the box.
To go on an adventure, one must discard the comforts and safety of the known and trusted.
scott

Post by scott »

good start but needs more content... hows the other topics coming?

may be useful to a new person but if i rmember corectly it was the standard information you could find at other places, there was an especaly good tuturial on Jean-Louis Web Site at http://www.jlstsi.com/genesis3d.htm but still good, cant wait till the next lot keep at the good work
*GD*
MakerOfGames

Post by MakerOfGames »

Thanks. I havent had time to work on this project so no progress has been made since that first release that is for download. Jonas said about reformatting the contents to be more like every other tut/guide out there. I don't know if he started to reformat the guide or not. I just found one error re-reading the guide. There is an of with no "o"(line 32 col 5 of page 6.). Thats all for now. I will post back later on what sections I will work on next.
Think outside the box.
scott

Post by scott »

the site i mentiond above... thats the site i leant everything from, we need good tuturials like that, showing EVERY step of construction, last time i checked it didnt have the sky dome tuturial and so i still not too sure on how to use that
*GD*
MakerOfGames

Post by MakerOfGames »

Whoa, just looked at the HUD change/get rid of tut and that is for the Genesis Engine! That is the C++ code that RF referances. Anyway, they do tell you exactly what needs to be done, and in a very blunt manner too, no beating around the bush. I like that style. I will have to read a few and make the new RF guide have that kind of ease of use. No confusion just this is what controls this, change to this and this will happen. Maybe that last sentence is confusing but I will make sure the RF guide is clearer :wink: .
Think outside the box.
MakerOfGames

Post by MakerOfGames »

When I start back on the RF guide I will most likely go to Game Design Overview (chapter 11) and work to Story Vs Game Play (chapter 15). I do not know as much as others for world editing and the other sections. This is because I haven't made good content with them yet. I only played around with them. I might also write a quick chapter on sound. So if anyone feels that they can write a good RFEdit Pro guide, please do so. Also, if anyone has some good knowledge on the RF how to's that are given, please contribute. *I know some people have already made some tuts out there for physics and adding shine to cars. It would be greatly appriciated if they could be put in. Also, those that are good texture artists could maybe make the 2D art section, and those good scriptors could write the scripting section. Please help if you can.
Think outside the box.
Juutis

Post by Juutis »

Speaking of scripting...

I noticed that there isn't much info about the basic structures like if - else and variables and other stuff. I've been scripting with RF for years now and a couple of days ago I found out that you can create arrays too! It took me this long because it simply isn't mentioned anywhere.

Think about it... A guy starts using RF and he has no experience of any kind of coding/scripting. How on earth can he ever learn to script if the manuals only tell the commands and the basic layout ?

So, whoever writes the scripting section(s), write it like you're writing it to a total noob explaining all the basic stuff as good as you can. I could write something myself... but I'm just soooo lazy. It would be like "nah, I'll start it tomorrow" time after another.
Pain is only psychological.
MakerOfGames

Post by MakerOfGames »

My, my, its been a long while since anyone has posted here. Over two months ago :shock: :shock: :shock:. I haven't got a chance to work on the book, but has anyone else worked (even the slightest bit) on any section? I would hate to see this project die. Unfortunantly I can bearly find enough time to work on my game, let alone write a manual on how to use RF. I guess I will have to budget some time for this every once and a while.
Think outside the box.
jonas

Post by jonas »

LoL I forgot about it. I do have a basic out-line done. I guess I should start adding the meat now that I got reminded.
Jonas

Focused, hard work is the real key to success. Keep your eyes on the goal, and just keep taking the next step towards completing it. If you aren't sure which way to do something, do it both ways and see which works better. - John Carmack
MakerOfGames

Post by MakerOfGames »

I forgot about it for a while too. Just for some reason I remembered about it and I had to bring life back into it.

Ok, I will proceed to add to my sections I have previously stated, even though I can't remember them right now because its been so long.
Think outside the box.
jonas

Post by jonas »

We need to fit sections in telling how to use the different editors, and all the tools, then be very complete, showing tons of examples.
Jonas

Focused, hard work is the real key to success. Keep your eyes on the goal, and just keep taking the next step towards completing it. If you aren't sure which way to do something, do it both ways and see which works better. - John Carmack