What 3D modeler do you use?

Topics relating to Modeling with Reality Factory.

trueSpace 3.2
No votes
blender
12%
milkshape
41%
gmax
12%
other*
35%

Total votes: 34

MakerOfGames

Post by MakerOfGames »

I am just curious as to what everyone here uses to create and animate their games content in. So please take part in this poll.

*please post a reply stating what you use. Thank you.
Think outside the box.
To go on an adventure, one must discard the comforts and safety of the known and trusted.
steven8

Post by steven8 »

I always use Milkshape to at least finish my models. I like the ease of placing joints, assigning vertices, texturing, animating, etc. Well, that almost covers it all. . .accept. . .like my next Golem character, I could get the shapes working the way I wanted, so I started in anim8or, and will finish in Milkeshape. I love them both, but Milkshape is my main tool.
Juutis

Post by Juutis »

Milkshape, absolutely. Some years back when I was beginning with RF I downloaded this Milkshape free trial and learned to model with it. Now I've got the full version and I just feel it has everything I need to make my models.

I use LithUnWrap to do that UV-mapping stuff and Paint Shop Pro (trial version, currently I'm on day 920 of my 60 day version :D) for drawing textures.
Pain is only psychological.
LtForce

Post by LtForce »

I use MilkShape because it's my first modeling program, I tried to use Gmax and 3DSmax, but I still think that MilkShape is best
Lithuanians for Georgia!
bernie
RF Moderator

Post by bernie »

I use Milkshape. I tried Blender but just can't get on wih it at all it just seems very messy.
steven8

Post by steven8 »

I know that really beautiful stuff can be done with Blender, but the process seems so painful. Alan, who made Telepath (see the gallery on the homepage) and I both downloaded Blender and tried to work with it. We were two evenings just trying a apply a texture properly to a cube. He wrote me a tutorial because he got it right first. I finally got it however, it was anything but intuitive to us. It seems more geared to the linux crowd.
scott

Post by scott »

milkshape all the way, its click and drag unlike others... no complex things needed as most of the effects are donw within RF so why go for max and have all these diferent effects and stuff when your not going to use them
*GD*
MakerOfGames

Post by MakerOfGames »

I voted other. I am using truespace 3.2 along with gameSpace lite. To be honest I am only using gameSpace Lite right now because I thought I could make a character in under 650 polygons, which is the programs limit. *Dang demo* Anyway, my two legs of my scifi commando are 410 polygons triangulated, so I guess I will have to port my objects with no bones back to old trueSpace 3.2. The bone animation system in gameSpace Lite is terrible anyway. There is only a click and drag system to move the object and when you have a 2d or 3d joint, it makes for headaches when you want to make a leg walk and the right leg goes through the left leg when dragging from a SIDE veiw so no left or right movement would be expected. The only way to fix it is with a $30 that I don't think will work in the demo.

I tried to use blender and just as everyone else agrees, blender has an extreamly complicated user interface. I made one good model in blender and that is a basic pistol that is untextured. I still can't figure out how to apply any type of texture properly. After clicking for a half hour I did get a grass texture on a plane but it was so blurry compared to my actual 512x512 bitmap. So I have given up on blender.
Thanks for your vote.
Think outside the box.
To go on an adventure, one must discard the comforts and safety of the known and trusted.
Sharky

Post by Sharky »

3ds Max hands down. I used to use primaraly milkshape until I forced myself to learn max. I use Maya sometimes to. Now I'm working on learning Houdini. The way I learned these is the VTMs at buzz3d.com .
ardentcrest

Post by ardentcrest »

Model ?

Whats a Model, I'm still using squares in rfedit.

You know that thing with the four sides, or is it six that it a a a a cube thing :oops:
He's a Bot Jim, But not as we know It.
steven8

Post by steven8 »

Perhaps the good folks at buzz3d.com could extend me a loan so I could get max or maya. :lol:

@ardentcrest - you keep on using those cubes!! There's nothing you can't do!!
ZenBudha

Post by ZenBudha »

It's always hard to learn a new program once you get comfortable with your current one.

Example is those who learn Maya in school don't like Max. Those who learn Max don't like Maya.

Milkshape is what I started with but I moved on to 3DS Max.

Blender is crazy and backwards from anything else. I tried 3 different times to learn it but it never worked for me. I know some people can use it and love it but I think you'd have to start with it to get it.

Although for game making factoring in cost and everything Milkshape is probably the best software out there. You cannot beat $20 for a 3D modelling package compatible with so many engines.
Fear not the textures for the almighty stylus is with thee - Book of Zen
Billwaa

Post by Billwaa »

I am using 3DS MAX 5, its the easiest in my opinion
psYco

Post by psYco »

milk shape but am learning blender. (its not THAT bad ;))
GD1

Post by GD1 »

I've used Milkshape for nearly 4 years. In that 4 years I've used Blender and 3DS Max 7, as well as ZBrush2. The problem with these other modelers is that there are too many features. And once you learn how to use them they can be really cool. But doing that takes a very long time.

There are things that could be done a lot quicker in Max or Blender, but by the time I learn how to do it, I could have done it by hand 3 times over in Milkshape. It seems no matter how hard I try to use something else, I always find myself coming back to good old MS3D.
Check out my band
Tougher Than Fort Knox