Welcome All Guests!!

Discuss any other topics here
steven8

Welcome All Guests!!

Post by steven8 »

I have noticed that there are one and as many as 5 guests online at almost any given moment. All I can say is, that if you have enough interest in creating 3D games to have brought you to the Reality Factory site . . .Come on in!!! Download RF and join the community. This engine and the tools package will provide you with the perfect opportunity to get your feet wet and start to realize your dreams. It is SO MUCH fun the first time you actually wander around in a level THAT YOU CREATED!! It is also totally free to make a game and sell it. We just have to let the good folks who created the Genesis3D engine, from which this is derived, have their just recognition!! it's so little to ask to see your dreams come alive on your computer. The folks here are friendly, easy to talk to and willing to help you out. I know I love it, and you will too!!
shadow

Post by shadow »

It's ALIVE!
Well said Steven8

I hear many rumblings that this is a sinking ship, thats barely afloat.

We need someone to champion this beast, and liven this place up.
Without a strong voice, Rf has the feeling of "Lights are on, but nobodys home" feeling.

The RF community needs to feel that someone is driving this ship.
We need to know where we are heading, and progress of new developments?

Its good to see you proving this wrong and bringing much need life.
steven8

Post by steven8 »

Thank you, Shadow. I have been gone for some time, but it is GREAT to be back!!!! Something as wonderful as Reality Factory can not be allowed to die. This engine and this community deserve a place in game creation history. We have to stand up and start making stuff. The Dungeon is going to be my next contribution to the community and I want everyone here to start making stuff. Don't worry if it's not Doom3 or even QuakeI. . .Damn the Shaders - full steam ahead!!

Lay out levels, model some pawns, create some textures and post some screens!! By all means POST SOME SCREENS. No one comes here unless they have some creativity just dying to get out. Let's not get bogged down in discussions on DX9 and Pixel Shaders. Let's just do some creating and something will happen. You just watch!!

But most of all. . .LET'S HAVE SOME FUN!!!!
AndyCR

Post by AndyCR »

Yes, exactly. Steven has been doing what I used to do - greet newcomers, etc. and just generally be very active. I can't recall a time in the last hour he hasn't been online within the last 5 minutes :shock: ! I've been busy with RF2, and as such have been a little cold lately. Thanks Steven!
steven8

Post by steven8 »

You are very welcome, Andy. I'm happy to be here. Today is somewhat exceptional, as I do not have to work tonight. Otherwise, I'd have to sleep during the day because I work 3rd shift now. I will monitor and post mainly between 8:30 pm EST and 11:30 am EST Monday thru Thursday, then some extended hours over Friday and the weekends. But I will be here as often as I can to welcome folks and try to answer questions as I can.

Andy has taken on a huge job in developing the next phase of RF, and QOD is juggling a great deal all the time in trying work on the existing package. I will be here to keep the community going. I have been cruising gamedev.net and invited some new young programmers eager to learn about making games over to RF. Hopefully they will come and see what we're about.

This is the perfect place for them to learn the nuts and bolts of game making and play with some real 3D engine code to boot. What more could they ask for!! :D
MakerOfGames

Post by MakerOfGames »

steven8 the 2nd wrote: This is the perfect place for them to learn the nuts and bolts of game making and play with some real 3D engine code to boot. What more could they ask for!! :D
What more could they ask for? I don't know. But what I do know is the if you want to know how games are made, RF is the best place to figure it all out! I have learned everything I know about 3D game making through RF. I hope they jump aboard, learn alot, and help out with this community. Keep up the good work with stimmulating the activity in this community. RF is too good of a program to die.
Think outside the box.
To go on an adventure, one must discard the comforts and safety of the known and trusted.
ardentcrest

Post by ardentcrest »

What we need is a new forum under General discussions called "MEET THE NEWBIES" here thay can tell us somthing abut themselfs and we can say hi. :?
He's a Bot Jim, But not as we know It.
steven8

Post by steven8 »

I don't think that's a bad idea. For right now, though, new users can just post a little something about themselves right here.

And even exisiting users so we all know about each other.

As my title suggests, my name is Steve, I am 40 years old, my wife Susan and I have been married 17 terrific years, and I have three sons, Paul - 9, Steven - 6, and Thomas - 4. we live in beautiful Barberton, OH.
LtForce

Post by LtForce »

Hey, this is good idea

My name is Jonas (In english that would be John), I'm 13 years old I have a brother Justas (I don't know his name in english) he's 9 years old, I live in Vilnius, Lithuania. I love reading fantasy books, playing table RPG games and my favourite sport is football.

@ AndyCR: you should make Steven8 the 2nd a moderator. He's really active at this community
Lithuanians for Georgia!
bernie
RF Moderator

Post by bernie »

OK not a bad Idea.
My name is Bernard I am 65 years old and retired. I have 3 Children all grown up and one Grandchild aged 4. I live in Co Clare in the west of Ireland and I play Irish trad music on the fiddle. I like playing games on the PC and love messing around with RF in my spare time (one seems to work much harder when retired LOL so there isn't a lot of spare time). I have managed to get a playable game running but unfortunately living here in the wild west means I cant' have broadband not even by radio so I can't upload anything big. I can download via a one way satellite system which is better than nothing I suppose.
steven8

Post by steven8 »

What did you do for a living, Bernie? My father retired 2 years ago when he was sixty-five, and now we can't hardly ever find him at home. Go, go, go. I do believe, though, that retiring has added a good ten years to his life. best thing he ever did!! :D
LtForce

Post by LtForce »

You guys are so cool! I wish I could be such a active person when I grow up.
Lithuanians for Georgia!
AndyCR

Post by AndyCR »

ltforce wrote:@ AndyCR: you should make Steven8 the 2nd a moderator. He's really active at this community
Thats up to QOD, and beyond my authority or ability.

My name is Andy, I am 16 years old and work as a game tool programmer, and I live in Colorado.
QuestOfDreams
Site Admin

Post by QuestOfDreams »

My name is Daniel, I'm 26 years old and live in Austria. I'm studying physics at the local university (getting nearer to the final exams slowly :P ). I like reading (all kinds of fantasy novels) and - of course - playing and making video games. And, yes, I'm running this site, so I hope you all have a good time here :wink:

@steven8
If you want to help moderating the forums I will enable the moderator rights for your account, just let me know.
I could also delete the old steven8 account and rename your current account to steven8...
bernie
RF Moderator

Post by bernie »

@steven8
I was a technician working fo Telecom as a planning engineer designing and planning telephone exchanges in England. Came home to Ireland when I retired aged 60. Best thing I ever did was to retire. I spend an awful lot of time in the garden growing my own veg etc. and a lot of time playing music in the local pubs at night. Don't know how I ever found time to go to work. Any spare time I get now I spend on the computer (usually when it's raining).